GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Now I know why the GS has no rear wiper!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-03 | 05:03 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Arty, treat yourself to some brand new RainX.........not that they've changed the formulation but the stuff probably becomes radioactive or some such with age. And coincident that we both have GS and RX models; I have RainX on wifey's 99 also. Esp helpful on that rear glass, where those vortices (there's another one) dump all that crap. Between Zaino wax and RainX, I'm surprised water can sustain enough surface tension to bead at all..........

Re awake vs coma: I'm dumb as a box of rocks and so had to apply the "listen, write, bash info in head later" method. You obviously were from the deeper end of the intelligence gene pool and could afford the occasional snooze!
Old 02-16-03 | 11:42 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hey Doc-

I found that bottle of RainX and put it on the GS. Like Willard in the "other" forum, I'm kinda cheap too. Although I do bring my cars to the dealer to help keep their children in private schools, I'm going to heed one of Mr. West's advice: I'm going to have them do only what is recommended on the owner's manual. The cost of inspection is getting a little too much (yes like the kind we use to get back in the old days at the service station, where your fluids were checked and windows cleaned for the cost of a fill up). I'll get to the RX another day since my arms are a bit sore and I'm way out of shape.

Re awake or coma: I think you got it the other way around. I also had to listen, write, re-write and bash my head with the info that wouldn't stick the first time. Only thing was, I bashed my head late into the night and snoozed during the day due to the lack of sleep and that wasn't because of partying either. Enginerds didn't party like those business majors. No the gene pool is shallow where I swim, but thanks anyway. I wasn't the one that made it to med school. I was just happy to finish my BS (Freudian slip?).

Art
Old 02-17-03 | 02:47 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Art, it appears that we're in phase. Engineers and pre-meds were really in the same boat as far as studying was concerned. We all hung out in the PhysSci building, we all went to labs in the afternoons when the BizEc guys were headed for the lake (or maybe they agonized over the occasional simple XY coordinate graph, which was about as much "math" as they could stand), and we all studied (except the one or two guys who were Marilyn vos Savant or Isaac Asimov- level geniuses who could read it once, remember it forever, and derive everything else). My, my, that was quite a sentence.

Mr. West does seem to antagonize a few (or more than a few) posters both here and on Edmunds but I like and admire the fella. He does a tremendous amount of work on his own vehicles (mechanical and electrical), never is reluctant to share either the how-tos or the results, and (like a good engineer) wants to understand precisely how all our "gee-whiz, how did Lexus do that?" systems work in order to see where the limitations are. Coincidentally, he's got some Arkansas roots. Plus, his BS meter seems well calibrated. I, too, didn't mind too much when the extent of my dealer's service gouging was to perform severe-duty schedule oil changes, but now that they've discovered they can get away with changing tranny fluid, brake fluid, diff oil, and every other thing they can possible lay a wrench to every 15k miles, I'm on the Willard schedule. Copy the applicable service from the manual, hand it to the service writer and tell 'em "Do this, only this, and no more w/o my OK!".

And, as a doctor, let me recommend that you get a little more exercise than RainXing the windows.......and keep the shiny side up!!

Old 02-17-03 | 08:00 AM
Tranman

If you're REALLY lazy, you can get the Rainx windshield washer fluid. It's basically a windshield washer fluid that de-ices and applies Rainx. Pretty cool stuff IMHO.
Old 02-17-03 | 11:06 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

My windshield washers don't spray my side or back windows.........
Old 02-18-03 | 12:18 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hum, RainX for the window washer. Talk about the ultimate lazy man's mod, but as Doc says, it doesn't do side or rear (except for the RX) windows.

After I washed and RainX'd both the GS and RX, I'm pooped. And to get the haze off the windows....now I remember why I didn't use it much. Now I'll have to wait for the rains, and just after I washed the dang cars. Talk about dumb things to do.

Doc, thanks for the advice. Funny you mentioned it, cuz I was off to the sporting goods store this weekend to check on some ankle weights and light bar bells for the flabby arms and legs. I need to start firming up them tiny muscles that I once had. I'm going to have to work this excercise up slowly, but no more RainX for another year.

Re Willard: He's a good egg. I do listen to his advice and take it for what it's worth. Just that he couldn't stop his ranting about hs Chrysler 4whl drive, and that window fogging/ventilation issue is just a little too much. And all the issues on the RX300. Granted the RX has its faults, what car doesn't. But he buys it anyway, and I think he's upgrading again to the RX330. 3rd one, yes?

Art
Old 02-18-03 | 01:03 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Just that he couldn't stop his ranting about hs Chrysler 4whl drive, and that window fogging/ventilation issue is just a little too much. And all the issues on the RX300. Granted the RX has its faults, what car doesn't. But he buys it anyway, and I think he's upgrading again to the RX330. 3rd one, yes?
Yup, he's got #3 on order. And I gotta admire a man who backs up his convictions: he actually went to court over the climate control system!!

DO work into the fitness issue gradually. There's no sense in injuring yourself trying to speed up a process that, to all intents and purposes, one must consider to be lifelong. All it takes is persistence, ie, the "Exerciser's Anonymous" credo (sort of like the 12 Step program): "I don't have to think about working out for the rest of my life; I just have to exercise today!" So just start up and keep up!!
Old 02-18-03 | 05:55 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Didn't know that Willard actually went to court on the climate control issue. What's the story? Small claims? Win, lose or draw? Now this is for the whole shoot'in match, not just the RX but the entire Lexus line if my memory serves me correctly.

You know how that goes, first the muscles, then the mind. Dang, I better start on the excercise program 'today'. I do like that concept. I just need to work on it today, one day at a time. I haven't lifted bar bells or weights since my college days, over 20+ years ago. Oh, and I can't forget about the one between the ears either - gotta work on that one especially harder.
Old 02-19-03 | 02:44 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Don't remember all the details but he had a relatively elaborate post over on Edmunds on, I believe, the GS forum, since he also has a GS3. As you know, he has some (well reasoned) issues with the Nippon-Denso climate control system which is used in ALL of the T/L products. So, yeah, it wasn't a small deal. Don't believe that it was in small claims, as both he and T/L had lawyers involved. T/L's expert witnesses apparently demonstrated that the system was functioning as designed and (I'm stretching here because my senile dementia seems esp troublesome this morning) that Willard was somehow misusing the climate control system. The particular problem that he has is probably only likely to occur in areas such as the Northern west coast where he hangs out, in areas of very high humidity but low temps, fwiw.

As far as working out, you might want to consider hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions. Those folks can be very helpful in getting you started off on the right foot, as well as minimizing your risk of injury. Pumping iron is a good thing (I've been doing it for 37 years now) but don't forget cardiovascular/aerobic conditioning. That's actually what will burn most of the calories, strengthen the heart, and lower the risk of heart attack (although the amount recommended by the American Heart Assoc. for lowering risk is actually much less than what is needed for any significant degree of fitness).

We got a long way from laminar flow here!!
Old 02-19-03 | 06:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Doc-

Ok, back to laminar flow. Now that is why your rear window doesn't get dirty or wet when moving fast. RainX or not. Ah, yes some of the physics and ME still sticks to the old noggin.

Re PE: Yep, I'm taking it a step at a time, muscle and cardio. It's been a long time since I've worked out, and I'll take your advice and do it slow and easy. Not that I'm going to a gym or anything, but more walks (instead of riding in the Lexuses) and low weights (I'm not talking about bench pressing either) dumb bells. Did I say bar bells previously?? Heavens forbid.

Re WW: Sounds like he didn't do very well in his court case, although the man's got convictions. His lawyers vs. T/L lawyers? I think there was money well spent elsewhere, although WW got a verdict, albeit not the one he wanted. :eek:
Old 02-20-03 | 02:33 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

No, he didn't prevail. But your exercise program will!!