GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

wood steering wheel swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 08:05 PM
josey88
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am afraid it is cherry wood .
Name:  IMG_0312_zpsb2dea5b1.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  91.9 KB
Old 04-21-14, 08:07 PM
josey88
Driver

I don`t think they ever made the steering wood in cherry , so I guess that this is as close as I can get .
Old 04-21-14, 08:07 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

mine is to... You want to make sure it matches...
Old 04-21-14, 08:13 PM
josey88
Driver

Well, it is kind of reddish brownish cherry , so I certainly hope it would be kind of close to the brownish wood on the JDM wheel . I don`t think we have any other choice , so , as long as it is close enough I will be content .
Old 04-21-14, 08:29 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by josey88
I am afraid it is cherry wood .
I can't get over the condition of the leather on that seat. I wish my GS only had 27k miles!
Old 04-21-14, 08:48 PM
josey88
Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I can't get over the condition of the leather on that seat. I wish my GS only had 27k miles!
You were short on the mileage ... it has 27,035 , lol .... and very pampered miles of good weather . This car has seen rain only a few times . I usually wash it once a year to get the dust of it and the paint is still silky to the touch , no oxidation at all . . I use Meguiar`s ultimate quick wax with great results .
Even the" Lexus" letters on the door sill plates still have their plastic factory cover on the 4 doors, .including the driver`s door too .

Last edited by josey88; 04-21-14 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 08:57 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This should be a sticky!
Old 04-21-14, 10:03 PM
josey88
Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
You absolutely will be able to use your airbag, although I couldn't see myself spending that much on that wheel alone.
Thomas, how are you so sure I can use the original airbag ? it really concerns me if I can or not
Old 04-22-14, 05:46 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I guess I will be a kind of an expensive guinea pig , lol... yes , I will post it , of course.
Hopefully the wood would match , at least I expect it will .
Guinea pig?? You think you're the only one who has used this wheel? Seriously?? If you search, your answers would be right in front of you. There is practically NOTHING that will be a "new" mod on this gen. Your seats look good though!

ttaylor993, no this shouldn't be a sticky. There are plenty of wheel replacement thread on this site, along with pics. That what I used to install mine.
Old 04-22-14, 06:43 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Guinea pig?? You think you're the only one who has used this wheel? Seriously?? If you search, your answers would be right in front of you. There is practically NOTHING that will be a "new" mod on this gen. Your seats look good though!

ttaylor993, no this shouldn't be a sticky. There are plenty of wheel replacement thread on this site, along with pics. That what I used to install mine.
I believe that what op meant is that he will be the guinea pig for the particular brand of steering wheel that he mentioned and not wood steering wheel in general. So don't take it to heart.
Old 04-22-14, 07:07 AM
josey88
Driver

Originally Posted by 77i9
I believe that what op meant is that he will be the guinea pig for the particular brand of steering wheel that he mentioned and not wood steering wheel in general. So don't take it to heart.
That is exactly what I meant .
BTW, I received an answer to the question I placed for the Ebay seller and he stated that the JDM steering model made for 98-00 will fit the original 98-00 airbag perfectly . Problems arise when you want to install a 01-05 model , then you need a different airbag .

Last edited by josey88; 04-22-14 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 10:25 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by 77i9
I know what he meant, that's why I said it. I've personally read threads on this site discussing that wheel, along with viewing random photos online, That wheel is super old, so don't think that you are the 1st to try the wheel. More searching will get you your answer you seek. The hardest part about removing thewheel was lining up the torx screws to remove the bag.
Old 04-22-14, 10:57 AM
josey88
Driver

I know what he meant, that's why I said it. I've personally read threads on this site discussing that wheel, along with viewing random photos online, That wheel is super old, so don't think that you are the 1st to try the wheel. More searching will get you your answer you seek. The hardest part about removing thewheel was lining up the torx screws to remove the bag.
Well, it may be old news for you , but it is new to me . Would you mind terribly posting info about this JDM wheel swapping ? I have not been able to get almost anything about the fitting and procedure with this JDM steering wheel on a GS-400 or 300 , if it would match the wood or not and if the leather will be different in color , etc . so I do feel like an official guinea pig on this .
I wish I had found all these answers from someone who has actually done it and cut tell exactly what to expect .
I am , however , mostly convinced that the JDM wheel will be something of a close match , my air bag would fit correctly on it , and that , then , I will be a happy man ... Amen to that .
About removing the wheel , Sevenevez inserted some very helpful pics previously on this thread .

Last edited by josey88; 04-22-14 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 03:48 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Please post a link to the thread that discusses the same exact wood steering wheel that op is talking about.
Old 04-23-14, 05:42 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Well, it may be old news for you , but it is new to me . Would you mind terribly posting info about this JDM wheel swapping ? I have not been able to get almost anything about the fitting and procedure with this JDM steering wheel on a GS-400 or 300 , if it would match the wood or not and if the leather will be different in color , etc . so I do feel like an official guinea pig on this .
I wish I had found all these answers from someone who has actually done it and cut tell exactly what to expect .
I am , however , mostly convinced that the JDM wheel will be something of a close match , my air bag would fit correctly on it , and that , then , I will be a happy man ... Amen to that .
About removing the wheel , Sevenevez inserted some very helpful pics previously on this thread .
It's a very close match. Go with it. To be honest, none of the OEM wood wheels are an exact match with our car, along with the SD all wood shift **** we all love. Its close enough, so push fwd with the purchase.

Quick Reply: wood steering wheel swap questions