GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Seatbelt Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 12:24 PM
SCHEME
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt Light

Has anyone found (or tried to find) a way to disable the seatbelt light except or a sticker over the light? There is a wire running up the buckle that is presumably the kill switch. I was thinkinkg about clipping the line and closing the circuit. Any thoughts, ideas, precautions?
Old 02-12-03, 01:37 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Why?? Driving w/o seatbelt on?? If so, may I suggest that's not the best idea you've had..........
Old 02-12-03, 01:55 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Seatbelt Light

Originally posted by SCHEME
Has anyone found (or tried to find) a way to disable the seatbelt light except or a sticker over the light? There is a wire running up the buckle that is presumably the kill switch. I was thinkinkg about clipping the line and closing the circuit. Any thoughts, ideas, precautions?
I hope you're talking about the passenger light, and you frequently put heavy items on the passenger seat.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 02-12-03 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-12-03, 11:46 PM
geebee
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
Why?? Driving w/o seatbelt on?? If so, may I suggest that's not the best idea you've had..........

I've been thinking of disconnecting that light myself.

I live in Boston and make lots of short trips where I do not go over 35 miles per hour. When traffic is heavy, you can often not go over 20 mph. During those quick errand runs I do not wear my belt.

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine much damage to me from a typical 25-35 MPH fender bender without a belt. Am I wrong? Someone correct me if I am. I know that possibly a wild man going 65 the wrong way in a police chase could materialize, but that is so unlikely that I will take that risk.

BTW, I always wear my seatbelt when going faster than 35mph or on longer drives.

GB
Old 02-13-03, 12:30 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is still a chance that those low speed trips could set off the airbag in an accident. Without your seatbelt on, the airbag could seriously mess you up, possibly even kill you. They're designed to work together.
Old 02-13-03, 03:37 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine much damage to me from a typical 25-35 MPH fender bender without a belt. Am I wrong? Someone correct me if I am.
Yes, you are wrong. Simple physics. 60 mph = 88 ft/sec., so 6 mph = 8.8 ft/sec. Your head is only about 2 ft from the steering wheel so, in a VERY low speed crash (such as hitting a light pole while moving thru a parking lot at idle speed), your head will reach the steering wheel in slightly more than 0.2 secs thanks to inertia. Since it weighs about 18 #, the muscles in your neck will NOT be able to prevent this, nor are the muscles in your chest and arms strong enough to push your torso back (assuming you had the time but remember, you've only got 0.23 sec to react, not enough time by a long shot). So, face strikes steering wheel. It will do so with enough force to put a dent 2-3" deep (that means lots of facial bone fractures) in your face. So, you'll likely survive the crash, but you won't look much like you anymore. Even after lots of plastic surgical reconstruction.
At twice that speed (12 mph), you'd have suffered brain injury due to cranial fracture and since it would have probably only involved the frontal lobes, you would have survived. But there wouldn't be much personality left.

Making it all up, you ask? No. I'm a physician when I go to work, and I used to work in emergency rooms quite a bit. That previous paragraph comes courtesy of a 22 y/o female who was proceeding thru a parking lot and hit a concrete based light pole at the idle speed.

Sure, now we have airbags for people who wish to drive w/o seat belts but the front bag ONLY deploys in the event of an essentially head-on impact. If the angle of collision is even slightly oblique, no bag.

Here's another way to think of it: if you assume that a 2nd story window is 16 ft off the gound and you jump, 1 sec later you'll hit the ground at a speed of 32 ft/sec, or slightly more than 20 mph. Would you intentionally do so in such a way that you landed on your face?

I can do lots of little calculations like that. We haven't even begun to address the issue of being able (or unable) to control your vehicle. I'm just glad I don't work in Boston. I certainly am not attempting to be insulting, but I hope that your behavior is the result of ignorance (which can be corrected by education) rather than stupidity (which cannot).
Old 02-13-03, 06:33 AM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up WOW!!!

Originally posted by mooretorque
Yes, you are wrong. Simple physics. 60 mph = 88 ft/sec., so 6 mph = 8.8 ft/sec. Your head is only about 2 ft from the steering wheel so, in a VERY low speed crash (such as hitting a light pole while moving thru a parking lot at idle speed), your head will reach the steering wheel in slightly more than 0.2 secs thanks to inertia. Since it weighs about 18 #, the muscles in your neck will NOT be able to prevent this, nor are the muscles in your chest and arms strong enough to push your torso back (assuming you had the time but remember, you've only got 0.23 sec to react, not enough time by a long shot). So, face strikes steering wheel. It will do so with enough force to put a dent 2-3" deep (that means lots of facial bone fractures) in your face. So, you'll likely survive the crash, but you won't look much like you anymore. Even after lots of plastic surgical reconstruction.
At twice that speed (12 mph), you'd have suffered brain injury due to cranial fracture and since it would have probably only involved the frontal lobes, you would have survived. But there wouldn't be much personality left.

Making it all up, you ask? No. I'm a physician when I go to work, and I used to work in emergency rooms quite a bit. That previous paragraph comes courtesy of a 22 y/o female who was proceeding thru a parking lot and hit a concrete based light pole at the idle speed.

I certainly am not attempting to be insulting, but I hope that your behavior is the result of ignorance (which can be corrected by education) rather than stupidity (which cannot).
Wow!!! Never thought about it like that...I know that there are alot of lazy people on this board who don't put there seatbelt on
including me and not for nothing, but you've inspired me

I love this board!!! It's great having people like you on this board mooretorque.....keep up the good work and God Bless!....for the rest of you guys all I have to say is........:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-09, 09:17 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, recently when i put on my seatbelt and the light still goes on. why is that?
Old 03-20-09, 09:21 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dejavu157
hey, recently when i put on my seatbelt and the light still goes on. why is that?
Could be that the sensor in the clasp may be busted. "Simple" fix if you can get the seat out...
Old 03-20-09, 10:01 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque

Sure, now we have airbags for people who wish to drive w/o seat belts but the front bag ONLY deploys in the event of an essentially head-on impact. If the angle of collision is even slightly oblique, no bag.

Here's another way to think of it: if you assume that a 2nd story window is 16 ft off the gound and you jump, 1 sec later you'll hit the ground at a speed of 32 ft/sec, or slightly more than 20 mph. Would you intentionally do so in such a way that you landed on your face?

I can do lots of little calculations like that. We haven't even begun to address the issue of being able (or unable) to control your vehicle. I'm just glad I don't work in Boston. I certainly am not attempting to be insulting, but I hope that your behavior is the result of ignorance (which can be corrected by education) rather than stupidity (which cannot).
thank you....
Old 03-20-09, 11:05 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn this is an old thread. Some good info though.
Old 03-21-09, 01:02 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geebee
I always wear my seatbelt when going faster than 35mph
33 is my cut-off...thats when the belt goes on
Old 03-21-09, 10:54 AM
tusmile
Rookie

Wear the seat belt!!!! that's me yelling at myself
Old 03-21-09, 12:06 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dejavu157
Is it possible to just pull the bulb in the dash like people do with the "taillight out" bulb? I would think that would be the easiest solution if it's malfunctioning.

Seatbelts are smart, even in town! I did the only on the highway thing when I first started driving, after my first accident that changed. A couple years later I was at a stop and got rear-ended by a van in a 30mph zone, I have no doubt I would've gone through the windshield if it wasn't for my seatbelt.
Old 03-23-09, 08:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz
33 is my cut-off...thats when the belt goes on
um my cut-off is 1 mph....as soon as passengers get in my car/ before i move i have them put them on....trust me when you hit a pole at 70 mph with NO belt on you'll think twice bout it....or get hit on your bike at 105 and flip it and all the other stuff i been in, you'll wear that thing....ALWAYS

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Is it possible to just pull the bulb in the dash like people do with the "taillight out" bulb? I would think that would be the easiest solution if it's malfunctioning.

Seatbelts are smart, even in town! I did the only on the highway thing when I first started driving, after my first accident that changed. A couple years later I was at a stop and got rear-ended by a van in a 30mph zone, I have no doubt I would've gone through the windshield if it wasn't for my seatbelt.
u could just unplug the plug from behind the dash....i think that would be easier

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Light