GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To people who lowered their car......

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 12:24 PM
XO119
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To people who lowered their car......

After you guys lowered your car, would you still be able to bring your car to those car wash machine???? I ordered my Tein S. Tech springs and Bilstein shocks. It will approx. lowered 1.7" for the front. Would I still be able to get into those machines??? I went to a car wash place last nite and try to measure it, and it is very likely that after I put my new spring on, I will not be able to use those machine. Anyone anyone?? Especially for those who live in Bay Area.

Last edited by XO119; 02-12-03 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-12-03, 12:29 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: To people who lowered their car......

Originally posted by XO119
After you guys lowered your car, would you still be able to bring your car to those car wash machine???? I ordered my Tein S. Tech springs and Bilstein shocks. It will approx. lowered 1.7" for the front. Would I still be able to get into those machines??? I went to a car wash place last nite and try to measure it, and it is very likely that after I put my new spring on, I will not be able to use those machine. Anyone anyone?? Especially for those who live in Bay Area.
My suggestion, wash the car yourself...or go somewhere that performs hand washes. Your car deserves better...

Brent
Old 02-12-03, 12:40 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the tein flex and lowered about 1.2 inches and have the TTE front lip spoiler which adds another 1/2 inch drop from the front. I go to a hand carwash, but it still goes through that automatic roller thing which moves the car forward on its own when in neutral. I was very concerned that i was not going to be able to clear it and it comes very close. I have about a .5 inch clearance from the front spoiler. If it makes it from the front than you need not worry about the rest of the car. I also have the l-tuned side skirts and they clear with ease.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 02-12-03 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-12-03, 12:45 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: To people who lowered their car......

Originally posted by BLiu
My suggestion, wash the car yourself...or go somewhere that performs hand washes. Your car deserves better...

Brent
Ditto
Old 02-12-03, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ALWAYS wash the car yourself!
Old 02-12-03, 01:35 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

You spend that much on your suspension and then ruin your paint in one of those places that grinds the dirt off???? If you can't wash it yourself because of apt dwelling or some such, at least take it someplace that hand washes. THINK!!!!!
Old 02-12-03, 02:25 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree... wash it yourself. That's when you will find that new ding or the paint chip on front bumper or hood.

Its actually beneficial because in the past (on 3 occasions), I found a nail in my tire during my wash. Had it pulled out and patched up before something bad happened.
Old 02-12-03, 05:55 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

too lazy to wash myself..i take it to one of those hand car wash places...
Old 02-12-03, 06:58 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Well, Sometimes I get a little lazy too and take mine to one of the Handwash's... I have over 2.5 drop with a L-Sport Bodykit and 20's... No problems at all... But now since the Rezax's are going on in the Spring I don't think my car is going back again.. I can't risk that that belt driven machine and also that metal guide rail.. Oh no... No more... I don't want to scratch my babies..
Old 02-12-03, 07:31 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MrSypher
Well, Sometimes I get a little lazy too and take mine to one of the Handwash's... I have over 2.5 drop with a L-Sport Bodykit and 20's... No problems at all... But now since the Rezax's are going on in the Spring I don't think my car is going back again.. I can't risk that that belt driven machine and also that metal guide rail.. Oh no... No more... I don't want to scratch my babies..
yeah mike,

Lazy is our middle name when it comes to washing and waxing ...uh hum...you know what I mean!!! how many coats of wax did you just apply????
Old 02-12-03, 07:43 PM
PlayboyzGS
Rookie

Default FREE CAR WASH AT LOCAL DEALER.

My local lexus dealer hand washes my car whenever i want. The dealership here actually will hand wash any lexus that comes to the dealership. I go once a week and they hand wash it, dress it up and all. Benefit of having a lexus. Otherwise it costs like $20 for a nice hand wash up the street.
Old 02-12-03, 08:28 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ I always hit my Lexus dealership for washes all the time..

But for the people who don't know what Dagr8 is talking about.. I pay a friend of my brother's to wash and wax my car.. I'll give him like $40. and he'll put up to 3 coats of wax for me..
Old 02-13-03, 05:30 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: To people who lowered their car......

Originally posted by XO119
There will be many places that may cause a problem. Dips and steep driveways may be hazardous. You have to sometimes change your driving habits with a lowered car especially if you have a lip or kit. That is one of the reasons that I had to remove my L-tuned suspension. I must admit, the GS looks sweet with a slight drop but it was embarassing for me to drive my family and friends around and have my car drag on every small dip and driveway that we entered.

Last edited by KayGee; 02-13-03 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-13-03, 06:58 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I think the benefits of a lowered suspension far outweigh the inconvenience of not taking your car to an automatic car wash or having to slow down for pot holes.

I have just had my car lowered with the L-tuned springs/shocks and I know that I will never ever drive this car without this upgrade.

I don't have any body kits on the car - and I have not had to alter my driving style at all - I drive carefully anyway and with my family in the car (two kids under 7) and my wife - dips or any other undulations on roads are not any problem at all.
Old 02-13-03, 08:51 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MrSypher
I pay a friend of my brother's to wash and wax my car.. I'll give him like $40. and he'll put up to 3 coats of wax for me..
Ya know, if this wasn't a car forum, I would say that comment was downright nasty!

Brent

Quick Reply: To people who lowered their car......