GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Speed sensor for navigation - GS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 06:32 PM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed sensor for navigation - GS300

OK, I've seen various to-do on IS300 & LX430 on how to disable the speed sensor or "brake sensor" so you can utilize the navigation buttons while moving. Does anyone know how to disable this on a GS300??? I would love to see a post with photos or some sort of instruction.
Old 02-17-03, 07:14 PM
docrings
Rookie

That would be an improvement in the "idiot-proof" car. With the NAV input "lockout" my wife can't enter data on where we'd like to go next while on the freeway...

Doc Rings
2000 GS400
Old 02-17-03, 07:21 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are the electronics wiz kids that can remedy any problems with time and patience?

BTW ..that's an excellent question...
Old 02-17-03, 07:44 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

there is a speed signal going into the NAV, my nav is not fully working yet, so I can't test it out, i don't see any brake signal going in the nav based on GS schematic, thus, all you need is to disconnect this wire, then your nav won't know if you are moving or not, but no guarranty, I haven't try it yet.
Old 02-18-03, 09:17 AM
docrings
Rookie

When at a rest (no speed) the NAV computer "unlocks" for input. You don't have to have your foot on the brake (you can be in neutral at a stop, I believe).

Which wire is it?

Doc Rings
Old 02-22-03, 10:30 AM
Tranman

Did anyone ever find the wire to disconnect to the Nav to enable destination input at all times?
Old 02-22-03, 02:32 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that a while ago on my 01 430 by disconnecting the speed sensor wire and ground the e-brake wire. It's doesn't work. I think I may need to jump speed sensor wire to ground or something else, but I will give it another try.
They're 2 speed sensor wires coming out from the Odometer and then it spice to the Multi Display ( Nav Screen) and another one go to the Nav ECU. I just disconnected the one at the Nav Screen and I don't want to disconnect the one at the Nav ECU because if I do that the Nav ECU don't know my car is moving.
Old 02-22-03, 03:41 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

"I just disconnected the one at the Nav Screen and I don't want to disconnect the one at the Nav ECU because if I do that the Nav ECU don't know my car is moving."

hey, i didn't know there is an speed signal goin to the nav screen? not on the 98-00 schematic I have. that is weird.

anyway, the signal going into the nav computer is (98-00 model) is: pin 12, color code: violet/white wire.
try to disconnect it then. From my schematic, do NOT try to ground this wire. by the way, my schematic is from the dealer book.

you milage/consumption won't work anymore, but that should be ok

Last edited by BananaGS; 02-22-03 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 05:47 PM
MMM
Rookie

If disconnecting the speed pulse and parking brake wires do not work, the system might still be relying on GPS signals to determine that the car is moving - therefore preventing access to features while driving.

Just a thought.

MMM
Old 02-22-03, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally posted by BananaGS
anyway, the signal going into the nav computer is (98-00 model) is: pin 12, color code: violet/white wire.
try to disconnect it then. From my schematic, do NOT try to ground this wire. by the way, my schematic is from the dealer book.
I have a 98-00 nav system - are you saying that if pin 12 is just disconnected (in the trunk?) then the nav won't lock out input while the car is moving? If so, then a switch could be inserted in that wire to temporarily allow input while moving. Is that true?
Old 02-22-03, 11:41 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

There is NO brake switch <period> why everyone keep refering to a brake switch?
with your car running, in D, but stay on the brake (not moving) can you still change the nav? if so there are not brake switch, I don't see any brake signal on the nav schematic anyway.

Bit, yes, in theory, disconnect pin 12, on the nav computer will prevent the computer from knowing that you are moving or not, but that something you have to try out first. The navigation computer still know if you are moving or not based on the nav signal, but I don't think lexus had implemented it to check for both speed and nav signal. if you can wait for a few weeks, then I can try out for you, if not, try it out and let me know. I don't see anyother side effect from removing the wire.

"switch could be inserted in that wire to temporarily allow input while moving. Is that true?" YES, but I would try to remove this wire completely first to see what happen. i don't like the idea of using a switch, but it may work. It may shock the computer when you use a switch, remove the wire is safer.

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 02-22-03 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-03-03, 08:43 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

speed signal not connected. Full control on the nav while the car is moving. Give it a try, just remove the pin, so you can put back later, don't need to cut anything.
Old 03-03-03, 12:10 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a solution to our problem?
Old 03-03-03, 04:56 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BananaGS
speed signal not connected. Full control on the nav while the car is moving. Give it a try, just remove the pin, so you can put back later, don't need to cut anything.
Have you tried this....what functionality or accuracy of the navigation system did you lose?
Old 03-03-03, 09:42 PM
docrings
Rookie

BananaGS, can you tell us newbies how to find "pin 12" ... where would that be, behind the NAV screen or in the trunk unit???

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Speed sensor for navigation - GS300