GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please help, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-03, 05:36 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, carfax is simply a guide, it by no means gauantees that you will have a car with no damage. Its all wether or not the damage is reported. I had a BMW that was rear ended, it ended up with 13 grand worth of damage. When it was all said and done, it never showed up on carfax, and this was work covered by the insurance companies.

Also, Im not sure about your state, but in MD there is a law that covers you in this circumstance. I would find it hard to believe that all states wouldnt have something similar. You have every right to go in and demand your money back and the deal cancelled within a certain amount of time, I believe its 30 days. If it were me, I would have my money back in my hand, and it would definitely be a big deal to me. the bottom line is when you go to re sell that car, if you have an educated buyer, your value will be shot to hell!! I dont care how minor the dealer says the damage was, you will never know the extent. Unfortunetly, that damage will always be on your mind, if your anything like me.

I had a similar circumstance with a 99 M3, I went back and complained to the GSM, then the owner, and threatened legal action. They canceled the deal and had my $$ back in my pocket in two days. I suggest you go the same route.

Good luck with resolving it.

By the way, if you end up keeping that car, make sure that it is noted somewhere by the dealership that the damage was there at the time of purchase. I would hate to see you have problems later down the road and have them say that warranty wouldnt cover it because there was damage to the car previously. I have been doing business with dealerships for a long time and I have seen this shady sh*@ happen to people.
Old 02-25-03, 12:23 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any new developments Stealther?
Old 02-25-03, 01:04 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with the father of a friend of mine who is an Attorney. He indicated that asking for a different car was not an unreasonable thing to ask for. He also stated that even though I said the dealership told me it had never been hit/painted and the salesman denied it the point is that the dealership and employees of the dealership are in the car buying/selling business and would have known about the problems of the car when it was bought at auction.

He feels the dealership/salesman did conceal, rather than reveal the fact that it had work done on it and thus he feels confident that there is a case for legal action if necessary. I am supposed to hear back from Lexus Corporate today after they talked with the local dealership. I will see what their position on this is before I make any decision on a course of action, legal or otherwise.

I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks for all the messages of support! I do appreciate it, especially in this uncertain time.
Old 02-25-03, 03:50 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Update: Lexus Corporate spoke to the Sales Manager of the dealership who called me up and asked if I wanted to select another vehicle before I could bring it up myself.

I told him that I did want to do that and that I would come tomorrow (we have a lot of black ice on the roads today) to see what he had.

I know that he has a GS400 in a color that my wife hates and a GS430 which is an '01 model (I bought a '99). With the GS400 out based on color, and I doubt they would be willing to give me the '01, where does that leave me? Can dealerships trade used cars from each other, because there are a bunch of GS400s out there at other Lexus dealerships, just not this one.

So it appears that the dealership is trying to make it right, I'll keep you all updated.

Last edited by Stealther; 02-25-03 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 03:57 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Stealther
With the GS400 out based on color, and I doubt they would be willing to give me the '01, where does that leave me? Can dealerships trade used cars from each other, because there are a bunch of GS400s out there at other Lexus dealerships, just not this one.

So it appears that the dealership is trying to make it right, I'll keep you all updated.
Sounds like it yeah, only after corp rattled their chain, and play on the fact that they screeewd you in the first place, and you're pissed that you had to go to corp with it.

Tell him you want the 01, or your money back. I bet he'd rather keep the money he's already deposited than to have to write you a hefty check and watch you walk out the door.

Also play upon the fact that you'd like to establish a relationship and continue seeing your car being serviced there. Service = Revenue Stream.

If you don't like the LOVE the deal, take your money, and walk out the door to the other dealership, and tell them what happened while you have opver the check for your new(to you) GS.
Old 02-25-03, 04:32 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Dex...all this came only AFTER they had their cage rattled...They are not doing you any favors! They are trying to save their asses at this point. I would DEMAND the '01 or your money back. If you get your money back, go to the other dealership and buy the car you want. After they give you your money back or a new car, I would STILL make it a point to tell your local TV stations and such. Why? To let others know that this type of DECEPTIVE behavior goes on at that dealership. Who knows how many people they've done this to and how many they WILL do it to? Remember, they ONLY helped you AFTER you raised hell...AFTER they tried to deny it....

What they did is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! I mean how many hours have you WASTED having to deal with this? What is your time and energy worth?

If they try to hint that you're taking advantage of them by asking for the '01, I would make a HUGE STINK at the dealership about who is trying to screw who! They made a HUGE mistake...not even an mistake since they did it KNOWINGLY and they should have to pay for it. The only way these STEALERSHIP will learn is to hit their pocketbooks on unfair deals....
Old 02-27-03, 12:25 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

The dealership said they would find me another '99 GS400 in the condition I was expecting with my original purchase. They said there was no way they could do the '01.

I'm just curious how the swap would work now. Do they pay off my current Lexus and I trade it in on a new one which will cost exactly the same (so no additional costs to me)?
Old 02-27-03, 01:42 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

The dealership said they would find me another '99 GS400 in the condition I was expecting with my original purchase. They said there was no way they could do the '01.

I'm just curious how the swap would work now. Do they pay off my current Lexus and I trade it in on a new one which will cost exactly the same (so no additional costs to me)?
Hmmm. I'd still get your money back and go buy the other GS you've already found at the other location, unless you just really want to keep associating with these people.
Old 02-27-03, 02:09 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

The problem is that the other place is in California.
Old 02-27-03, 02:56 PM
yasir
Rookie

Stealther,
Forget about bringing the car back to this dealership for any services,period.Tell the dealership that they have 2-weeks to find you a vehicle or your money back.Once you start asking for money back,trust me they will find you the car.Don't forget to mention them that "You do not want to call the Lexus Corp office again"
Didn't i tell you that Lexus takes it's certification process very seriously.Glad every thing worked out for ya.O btw i love my LX-470 and definately next year i'm going all out for a Certified LS 430
Later, Yasir
Old 03-28-03, 11:54 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

*UPDATE*

I went to the dealership today to look at a 1999 light gold metallic (not sure the color name) GS400 that they got in. It is pretty much the same car as mine optionswise but has about 12k miles less (40k). I had a friend of mine who is a service writer at a body shop look it over and he said that aside that the car is straight and in excellent condition (never hit or painted, except for tiny touchup paint on nicks).

While I really like the Cinnabar color, I think I will switch to this car, as it sems to be in much better condition than the mystery car I have now.

*edit* BTW, it seems to have been driven where there was road salt, as the rear part (from rear passenger seats back) of the exhaust seems to be rusted. Is this covered by the factory warranty? The car has only about 15days left on the factory warranty and I'd like to get it taken car of if possible under warranty.

Last edited by Stealther; 03-28-03 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-29-03, 04:00 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Default Here it is!

Just drove it home!
Attached Thumbnails Please help, what should I do?-goldleft.jpg  
Old 03-29-03, 06:16 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats!

Let the modding begin!
Old 03-30-03, 08:38 PM
yasir
Rookie

*UPDATE*

*edit* BTW, it seems to have been driven where there was road salt, as the rear part (from rear passenger seats back) of the exhaust seems to be rusted. Is this covered by the factory warranty? The car has only about 15days left on the factory warranty and I'd like to get it taken car of if possible under warranty.
Good job man If it's a certified car then definately you have 4 more years and 60,000 K more miles Any way,considering what the dealership put you through,they should just replace the exhaust for you,period.I'm glad things worked out fine for you.
Later, Yasir

Last edited by yasir; 03-30-03 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 08:28 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by yasir
Good job man If it's a certified car then definately you have 4 more years and 60,000 K more miles Any way,considering what the dealership put you through,they should just replace the exhaust for you,period.I'm glad things worked out fine for you.
Later, Yasir
Yeah, while you're at it tell them instead of the stock exhaust that you'd like the l-tuned. I would assume the cost is near the same. Plus it'd still be under warranty. Might be able to get that mod for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Just my $.02,
Blanco

BTW, I have same gold color gs4. It wasn't on my list when shopping, but after seeing it in person it was nice enough.

Congrats!!

Quick Reply: Please help, what should I do?