GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First Lexus, and it wont even be mine

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 07:56 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A properly maintained GS430 with low miles and 90k mile service completed by a competent dealership/mechanic will have very few problems and the chances of it running into issues is far less likely than others cars in the same price range. You should be able to find a nice GS430, around 90k - 100k miles for around $9k - $10.5k. Save the other $5k for any unforeseen repairs. BUT, I would put money on you not even coming close to that amount in maintenance/repairs before he finishes school. Good luck.
Old 06-22-14, 08:35 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
A properly maintained GS430 with low miles and 90k mile service completed by a competent dealership/mechanic will have very few problems and the chances of it running into issues is far less likely than others cars in the same price range. You should be able to find a nice GS430, around 90k - 100k miles for around $9k - $10.5k. Save the other $5k for any unforeseen repairs. BUT, I would put money on you not even coming close to that amount in maintenance/repairs before he finishes school. Good luck.
I bought mine with 76k back in Feb 2012. The clock is ticking over to 101k soon.. Still haven't done the whole timing belt service. But that's next. NO PROBLEMS. Just maintenance and me wanting to voluntary replace things.... don't ask lol. But the car is still stock and it's running better then ever. I'm changing oil and filter on my next day off. I'm 22 now. I bought mine when I was 19. And I work in a warehouse with measly pay lol. I'm still living and can maintain the car. So the car IS DEFINITELY WORTH THE VALUE. Besides...... .

Who wants a 2014 Ford Focus over a GS430?? ☺☺☺
Old 06-22-14, 11:53 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I bought mine with 76k back in Feb 2012. The clock is ticking over to 101k soon.. Still haven't done the whole timing belt service. But that's next. NO PROBLEMS. Just maintenance and me wanting to voluntary replace things.... don't ask lol. But the car is still stock and it's running better then ever. I'm changing oil and filter on my next day off. I'm 22 now. I bought mine when I was 19. And I work in a warehouse with measly pay lol. I'm still living and can maintain the car. So the car IS DEFINITELY WORTH THE VALUE. Besides...... .

Who wants a 2014 Ford Focus over a GS430?? ☺☺☺
I was only 20 when I bought mine, I would definately take our car over a newer ford etc, when I bought it I felt like a million bucks driving it, people at my work always thought i was rich or something even though the car isn't worth all that much, it feels good to have people look at your car when your driving and give compliments, as cocky as that sounds lol
Old 06-23-14, 08:45 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by egs21
Agreed. Naturally a forum is a place to exchange ideas/tips with most of those on this forum as either help with a problem/issue or performance/upgrades.
yes but you can't adequately judge the value and reliability of a car without weighing in Pros and Cons, and that person was only judging on the problems, making it completely one-sided. i understand that that's what the forum is for, but again, you have to factor in all the good too. my car is at 341,100 miles now and other than your basic routine things, she's had no issues.

i'd take my car over a Honda Fit any day.
Old 06-23-14, 08:47 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
I was only 20 when I bought mine, I would definately take our car over a newer ford etc, when I bought it I felt like a million bucks driving it, people at my work always thought i was rich or something even though the car isn't worth all that much, it feels good to have people look at your car when your driving and give compliments, as cocky as that sounds lol
^ ^ ^ ^ ain't that the truth
Old 06-23-14, 08:33 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I promised myself I wouldn't bite but... GS... IS... Fit... Focus. Gosh I don't know if I can go to sleep tonight. I hope someone can buy a GS soon and solve the world's used car problems

I'm wondering if some simple answers about the GS's shortcomings or referring to another brand merits this much back-slapping comraderie and legal hair-splitting worthy of a Supreme Court Justice.

I thought the OP already got his answer in the first six replies to this thread... but after that...

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...flame-wars-why
Old 06-23-14, 08:41 PM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
I promised myself I wouldn't bite but... GS... IS... Fit... Focus. Gosh I don't know if I can go to sleep tonight. I hope someone can buy a GS soon and solve the world's used car problems

I'm wondering if some simple answers about the GS's shortcomings or referring to another brand merits this much back-slapping comraderie and legal hair-splitting worthy of a Supreme Court Justice.

I thought the OP already got his answer in the first six replies to this thread... but after that...

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...flame-wars-why
Welcome to the Internet. Where everyones a juror or a clown
Old 06-23-14, 08:46 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Well that's a pithy answer to a complex question about why threads deteriorate into two sentence quips which simply sublimate an association to an inanimate object. Perhaps you might like to read the article in the link I suppose. Oh well. I hope the OP got an answer. (see what I did there?)
Old 06-23-14, 08:53 PM
littlebird
Driver

Well that's a pithy answer to a complex question about why threads deteriorate into two sentence quips which simply sublimate an association to an inanimate object. Perhaps you might like to read the article in the link I suppose. Oh well. I hope the OP got an answer. (see what I did there?)
Darling there was no complex question to your post. No question at all. Just what you wonder. Have a good night. You're not worth it
Old 06-24-14, 06:09 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Oh no... but I thought I was worth it "darling"... you obviously missed the point but I'm glad you're moving on then. Toodle-loo and good day dear... remember there's always someone who's right on the internet about something... at some point.
Old 06-24-14, 06:18 PM
littlebird
Driver

Point wasn't missed, just ignored. see ya. Have a lovely night. I like your sass
Old 06-24-14, 06:32 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

OP purchased a vehicle; he has yet to update the thread.
Old 06-24-14, 07:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by littlebird
Point wasn't missed, just ignored. see ya. Have a lovely night. I like your sass
Right back atcha

I'm glad the OP bought a car though. I see a few these threads where we never hear if all that advice worked out or not.
Old 06-25-14, 06:46 AM
littlebird
Driver

Right back atcha

I'm glad the OP bought a car though. I see a few these threads where we never hear if all that advice worked out or not.
it's nice to have someone who can keep up. hard to find sometimes in today's society

yeah, there was this thread on this spray stuff that was supposed to be "amazing" at changing the color of leather and carpet without changing the texture/feel of it for car interiors (i can't remember what it was called) and the thread was like 2-3 year timespan in the pages and the OP and other guy testing the stuff still have yet to update on whether or not it worked out right.
not that the thread was really about advice, but we just assumed the guy was a failure and that's that