GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus is replacing my headlights for FREE

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03 | 08:12 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Called Lexus' CS today

I just called Lexus' Customer Satisfaction hotline today to complain and request for a replacement on my headlights today. Since this is such an issue with almost everyone CL's members, however I've heard anyone actually fight this through the ground up, beside our super member HAMEED! I want to do this!

Called customer service @ Wilkie Lexus, no help, since the car is OUT OF WARRANTY!
They advised me to contact Lexus' Customer Satisfaction.
Talk to one of the rep. he took all the information and will contact me within the next 3-4 business days.

Anyone's with this same situation who has fought and won the battle with Lexus corp. in replacing their headlights when the vehicle is out of warranty???? Let me know, any helps are welcome! Gosh, it's dirty and nasty looking when there is condensation inside the housing lens!!!

Stay tuned!
Old 08-06-03 | 08:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Yep, that's the way to do it. Once you hear back from the rep, if the response is not positive, send a letter by courier (NOT regular mail) to the President of Lexus US and your problem will not go unresolved.

Such a problem in a luxury car is simply unacceptable!!! Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-06-03 | 08:38 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Hameed!

You have no idea how graceful I am to see your post regarding this issue with the headlights. What a hopeful and inspirational post. I will see how they will handle it! I don't cry over little things man, but when I saw what happened to my lens, almost gone into a panic attack.... Like... WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO MY BABY!!!!! friggin' out man!

I most certainly post the update as soon as I hear from them.... I know this is an old thread but super useful to me. IMO! Thanks Hameed!

Old 08-14-03 | 07:48 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Default Got a call from Lexus Corp. Today!

I got a call from Lexus Corp today @ 11am. Put it this way, we have an offer from both Wilkie Lexus Dealer and Lexus Corp to replace one (1) headlight on my vehicle. (laughable??)

I calmly replied to the gentlement on the line that the offer is unacceptable, regardless the fact that my vehicle was out of the manufactory warranty since January 2003. I did buy Lexus for the luxuary name/brand/goodwheel/feel/service, I didn't expect to get a foggy headlights from a $30K+ luxury car. I expect Lexus to replace the two (2) headlights on my vehicle due to another fact that it is a known problem for model year 98-2000 vehicles, Lexus never made the recall as they should, but silently repair all defective headlights. (the rep. wasn't aware of this fact! or was he? hmm)

I also made it clear to him that I bought this lexus last August, warranty gone out in January, there was no way for me to be aware of this problem with water condensation inside the headlight housings until this summer. Philly is the worse place to be when it's hot and humid! My head lights were filled with water up to half of the lens, both low & high beams after it rains 16 days straight last 2 weeks and this week....

Long story short, I told the guy to go back and review the case because I need his help on this. First of, if they replace the one (1) headlight, it will make my car look sooooooo sooooo rediculously stupid, like wearing sunglasses with different color lens. I only want the best from Lexus! (told him that) Second, I only accept fully replacement lens, maybe split the installation cost with Lexus, but I will expect full warranty on the vehicle even though it IS out of warranty. Since, if I get hit, or hit someone, even, god forbid, kill someone while i were operatiing the vehicle and turn out it was the housing that cause the accident.... Just think about it! Liability? Defected product???? Just try to give him some pictures if something would happen... Asking him, would he like to be one who responsible for the cause of an accident (man, he didn't like the sound of that at all!)

Come back with a promise to look into the case again and he will call me back tomorrow to let me know what he can do. Wilkie Lexus dealer is acting on parts of this case, said that i'm a good customer, been spending a lot of cash on services there... (HELL YEAH!!! $$$$ baby) this is a reason why Lexus Corp. even goes out to offer me one (1) headlight replacement. TOLD the rep, come back with a better offer!

So next step, if he comes back with one (1) headlight offer still, I will write the famous letter (thanks Hameed) to Lexus Corp. Damn I'd be mad as hell if they jerk me around.... Wish me luck!

Everything is an unacceptable deal, but a full set replacement (2 lens) right ???
Old 08-16-03 | 04:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default Re: Got a call from Lexus Corp. Today!

Originally posted by chuckisc
Everything is an unacceptable deal, but a full set replacement (2 lens) right ???
Damn right!!!
Old 08-16-03 | 05:58 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Its like gambling...double or nothing...you are just betting headlights...
Old 08-16-03 | 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Since the car is out of warranty I don't believe Lexus has any obligation to replace your headlights for free.
Old 08-17-03 | 04:17 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Talking I know! I know!

Bitkahuna, my brotha....

I know, I know, I know Out of warranty, out of luck! I know I know! You're killing me
As I stated, Lexus Dealer and Lexus Customer Satisfaction are agreeing to pay for one (1) headlight, since I explained to them that I bought the car late last year, and my factory's warranty was out in JANUARY, 2003. It was in the middle of the winter hear in Philly, of course, you won't get condensation or water in your lens, but last couple weeks, it is humid, rainny here... guess what shows up? Yes, you got it, my lens got completed wacked out!

I will have to wait and see what Lexus Corp. comes back with an offer which will make me happy or well, like GS4Fun said: Double or nothing! Remember, I have nothing to lose but every bit to gain... I'm surprised that they even offer 1 len!!!!

Stay tuned...
Old 08-17-03 | 04:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

chuck - sorry to sound cold earlier, I do wish you the best of luck. And I know what it's like having foggy headlights, I had 'em too, but fortunately, it showed up 7 months before end of warranty.
Old 08-17-03 | 05:44 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Wink It's all good!

Heheheh Bitkahuna brotha....

It's all good, I know you feel my pain, and you didn't sound too cold at all, you stated the fact and fact sometimes sux hehehehe I appreciate your input and thank you for your support bro. Hope they will contact me with good news!
Old 08-17-03 | 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: It's all good!

Heheheh Bitkahuna brotha....
You're from the city of 'brotha-ly' love

I used to live in Chester County (from '84 - '97).
Old 08-18-03 | 05:38 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Default Re: I know! I know!

As I stated, Lexus Dealer and Lexus Customer Satisfaction are agreeing to pay for one (1) headlight, ... I'm surprised that they even offer 1 len!!!!
That is the same deal that I got. They paid for 1 and I paid for the other. Be prepared, it still cost me $1300 for just 1.
Old 08-18-03 | 09:23 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: I know! I know!

Originally posted by KayGee
That is the same deal that I got. They paid for 1 and I paid for the other. Be prepared, it still cost me $1300 for just 1.
COST YOU $1300 for one (1)?????

OUCH! I hope the force on this one will be strong, cuz, $1300 is a lot of $$$$$. Was your headlight HID???? That could be it...
Old 08-18-03 | 11:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

When Erin Park Lexus replaced my headlights, I asked them what the price was, it is $1600.00 (Canadian dollars) for each side!!
Old 08-19-03 | 12:10 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Default Got A Call and here is the offer...

Ok, Lexus Customer Satisfaction called back today @ 2PM and made another offer:

Customer (me) will pay $200 for the housing.
Customer will pay for labor and tax: $318.00

Total: $518.00 for 2 new housings installed.

Here is my concern:

1. Will Lexus give me a 2001+ model (green tint) or they will give me the EXACT housing as in my 99' GS300?

2. What is the part number for the housing with green tint on a 2001 GS300?

3. Do you guys think I should cough up the $518.00 and get the new housing, or fight it all the way and get the full replacement? Mind you that my car is out of warranty since January 2003.

4. Can they take this offer away, once I decide to go all the way to Lexus Corp? Don't want to lose this offer but don't like to pay the hard earned cash for something shouldn't have been an ISSUE with a luxuary vehicle either.

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Lexus is replacing my headlights for FREE