GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus GS or Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 02:26 AM
rr14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS or Audi A6

I know this is a lexus forum but for those who have drive both Lexus GS and Audi A6, which car is better in the way of comfort, handling, etc. (not the engine, cause there are couple different options for the engine). Audi A6 prices are much lower than the GS.
Thanks
Old 02-28-03, 02:34 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having driven a couple of A6's and having been driven around in some GS's my opinion is that the GS is a better car. In Europe the with comparable engines the GS is the better choice.
Old 02-28-03, 02:53 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

resale on an Audi is horrible, so unless you're leasing it, go with the GS. And Audi reliability and customer service isn't that good either. So if you don't care about service, reliability and resale you can't go wrong with an Audi.
Old 02-28-03, 03:52 AM
keeton
Driver School Candidate

The A6 has a really nice interior, stylewise. As for handling, there are more options (FWD vs. Quattro, Sport package) with an A6 than a RWD only GS. The base setup on an A6 is pretty soft.

As for engines, the GS 300 is better than any V6 in an A6. The 2.7T in particular has been quite troublesome. Although service quality depends a lot on the individual dealer, Lexus typically sets the standard overall. But - all maintenance on an Audi is free (including wear items) during the warranty period.

The GS will undoubtedly be the more reliable car over the long haul. If you are doing just a three year lease, it may not make that much difference for only 36,000 miles.
Old 02-28-03, 12:07 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

The timing of your question is interesting. Austin ended up with ice earlier this week and I had to leave my GS430 at work. It occurred to me that Quattro would have been nice, so I started looking at what it might mean to go from my 2001 GS430 (L-Tuned) to a 2001 or 2002 A6 2.7T Quattro 6M (with an APR chip).

The Audi definitely takes a massive depreciation hit whereas the Lexus does not (at least not as bad). For me that works well because even considering trade-in value on the Lexus, I could get into an A6 the way I'd want it for about an even swap.

There are several reasons that this was just a fleeting thought, though: 1) we only get ice here every other year or so and the city pretty much shuts down anyway; 2) the 2.7T lacks some features that the GS has including power tilt/telescopic/memory steering wheel, (decent) navigation system, etc; 3) I prefer both the looks of the GS and the Lexus brand over Audi.

Having said that, my eye does occassionally wander back to the A6 2.7T for the AWD, available six-speed manual, and tunability of the twin turbo engine (APR's chip makes this thing into a relative beast of a car). The Audi also has some nice features such as heated front AND rear seats, available sport seats, factory sport package, HID low and high beams, and a very nice interior (which the GS has as well, of course).

As far as reliability goes, my research earlier this week led me to believe that the 2.7T engine hasn't really had any issues since the 2000 model year (meaning the 2000 model year did have issues). You can visit the AudiWorld forums for more info, but I suggest you drive both before you make your decision.
Old 02-28-03, 01:36 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

One thing that I can really say about the Lexus because I was considering an Audi at one point is there is no other company that has as good of a service dept. as Lexus. Not MB, not BMW, not Audi, noone. Those guys are great. I have heard alot of people that have had problems with Audi's. I think that the Lexus is the best value car out there period. You can buy a Lexus that is a year or 2 old for the same price as an Audi A6 and some Audi's are more expensive then Lexus's like the 4.2 A6 Audi. All in all, being in the same boat as you at one point, I would really recommend the GS over the A6. The car is awesome, quick, luxurious yet sporty and the resale value is great. You won't be disappointed. Just take your time and hunt for the right Lexus for the right price.
Old 02-28-03, 08:59 PM
cjamie
Driver School Candidate

Default audi service sucks!!

long story, bottom line is that

I order an A4, dealer 1 didn't treat me right, bought an A4 from dealer2. Dealer 2 screwed up my car during service, sold my a4 and ordered another one, lacking EQ the sales manager of dealer 2 ripped up the order form in front of my face. Went back to dealer 1 to order another a4, and still didn't treat me right.

Went across the street in front of dealer 1's sales manager and bought the gs in front of his face. Happy ever since!

If you care, dealer 1 is Rockville Audi/Porsche in Maryland; dealer 2 is Tischer's Audi in Maryland.

After having best service in industry, I would not advise anybody to go from Lexus to Audi...
Old 02-28-03, 09:23 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you really really, want/need qtro all whel drive, get the audi..otherwise stay with lexus for the total onwership experience..

but, if you are leasing the car, audi has great deals now
Old 02-28-03, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally posted by SCWells72
The timing of your question is interesting. Austin ended up with ice earlier this week and I had to leave my GS430 at work. It occurred to me that Quattro would have been nice, so I started looking at what it might mean to go from my 2001 GS430 (L-Tuned) to a 2001 or 2002 A6 2.7T Quattro 6M (with an APR chip).
On ice I don't care if a vehicle has 8 wheel drive, it won't help.
Old 03-01-03, 08:45 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I researched this quite a bit before choosing the GS over the Audi. It basically came down to lease price. Audi at the time had no incentives on leasing (only smart buys) whereas Lexus was offering their Dec to remember event.

Basically, the 2.7T at $45K was leasing out the same as a GS430 and the 4.2 was leasing out about $150 more per month.

I did prefer the 4.2 to the GS in terms of driving dynamics and that kick butt heated steering wheel (oh and the sports package). The flared fenders on the 4.2 also give it a great look as opposed to the 2.7T which seems kind of plain.

Rear seat room in the Audi is also superior but not by much.

Audi also covers EVERYTHING for 4 years/48K miles on the car - you put gas in it, that's it. They pay for everything including wiper blades, brakes, etc. That's a nice.

All that said, the interior of the GS is so much nicer and the car is a LOT quicker. Combine that with the $150 per month lease price difference, and I choose the GS.

PS - remember, Lexus has a lot more negotiating room on their cars. I think a loaded GS430 ($54.4K) costs the dealer about $46.7K. Where as the same priced Audi 4.2 costs an Audi Dealer about $49.2K. So the Lexus priced almost the exact same can in theory be had for about $2,500 cheaper.

Doug
Old 03-01-03, 09:17 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna
On ice I don't care if a vehicle has 8 wheel drive, it won't help.
Can't really agree there, and my disagreement is based on VERY recent empirical evidence, not assumptions. I've had three RWD cars (two classic Mustangs and now the GS430) and all three suck even on roads freshly wet from rain. Monday and Tuesday I drove our 4Runner (in four-high) as needed and, as long as I didn't do anything stupid, the 4WD served its purpose very well.

It's the idiots who think that 4WD/AWD COMPLETELY negates the ice/snow that get themselves in trouble, but there's no doubt in my mind that having all four wheels engaged makes a HUGE difference over having the light end of the car taking all the power.
Old 03-01-03, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I'd say ice is a whole different deal from rain or snow, the latter two providing some traction. On ice you've got little to no chance unless you have studs, tracks or chains.
Old 03-02-03, 03:53 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I feel that I can offer good advice on this subject, since I own both a 98 GS400 and a 98 A6 2.8 Quattro. Both were purchased preowned (2 years ago for the GS with 53K miles, now 85K, and 1 year ago on the A6 with 22K miles, now 42K). Both are excellent vehicles, but both have their strengths and weeknesses.

Interior: Both cars are beautiful. High quality materials and logical placement for both cars. I actually think that A6's seats are better for taller people, my wife likes the GS's seats better because she is short. Our A6 does not have the sport package, but if you get that you get recaro style sport seats, that not only look EXCELLENT but offer great support. This is not even an option in the GS. The A6 has a slightly bigger back seat. The trunk, while the same cubic volume, works much better then the GS's trunk with it's odd T shape. Also, the back seats of the A6 fold down to offer a huge cargo area. In terms of utility, the A6 wins hands down. It even has a ski pass-through with a ski cover. Very nice. Try carrying anything large in the GS and you will know what I mean.

Suspension: Both cars are tuned soft from the factory, but the stock suspension of the A6 is more sporting then the stock suspension of the GS. A6 offers sport suspension as a factory option, which most people recommend. One thing to note is that the A6 'feels' more solidly built. Now remember, it only has half the mileage that the GS has, but it feels better put together when going over railroad tracks, bumps ect. The GS does not feel like a cheap american car, but the A6 just moves over these obstructions like it is forged from a single piece of steel.

Reliability: No question, the GS wins here. In fact, the A6 just plain out LOOSES! I have not had a single issue with my GS besides a rattle here and there. The A6 has had many issues, non that have left us stranded, but inconvient and expensive. Both the GS and A6 are certified and come with a 100K mile warranty (3 years on GS, 2 years on A6). When having the A6 serviced last month (basic oil change), the dealer noticed that the L & R differential gaskets were leaking, as well as the L & R engine cam seals. They covered everything quickly under warranty, but the cost would have been over $1200. The next day the throttle got stuck on the car and it would hit redline immediately after starting it. Audi fixed it, and I have no idea what it would have cost, but people have told me at least another $1000. Also, the center information gauge panel was fading (know issue with all Audi's), which was replaced under warranty (would have been $800). Because we found the gasket issues from a simple oil change I took my GS to the dealer to get an oil change and inspect if anything needs replacing in the car (warranty only has 6 months left). Nothing, beyond brake pads and a weakend battery. Twice the mileage, and the GS has not had a glitch left.

Dealer Service: Lexus wins hands down. Audi just recently started offering loaner cars, and then only if you are having a full day service done. I get a loaner from Lexus nearly any time I ask for one. Also, the Lexus dealer get's me in for service with a one day notice, my Audi dealer needs at least a week. Just the general attitude at Audi is not as nice as the one at Lexus.

Driveability: I am really torn here. It is tough to compare these cars evenly as the A6 is at a huge disadvantage with the V6 engine. I wish it was a 4.2 to really compare. Ignoring the speed issue, both cars are great to drive. They are fun to take some turns in and excellent highway cruisers. The A6 has a bit more sport to it, but the GS is better when driving late night and my wife tries to nap in the car. It is just quieter and a bit smoother. Also, the A6 with Quattro will just simply get up and go in any environment. Even with the 2 foot blizzard here in NJ a couple weeks ago the A6 was a joy to drive in. I would not even date pull the GS out of the garage. If they offer AWD in the next GS as rumored I will definately get it.

Misc stuff: The A6 has a horrible NAV as posted above. My GS has the old Hard drive based NAV and it kills the 2003 Audi NAV. Compare it with the DVD nav and it is even worse. For someone like me who drives a lot for a living this is very important. The Lexus depreciates slower then the Audi. This is good for most people, but bad for people like me who purchase their cars pre-owned. A used Audi will be less expensive for me to purchase then a used GS, which is good for me but bad for the guy who buys new.

So as stated above, both cars are excellent cars. I really enjoy the way the Audi drives, and really love the Quattro and huge trunk. I have honestly thought of moving from my GS to an A6 4.2. If Audi could just work on their reliability (which is better now with the later models, but still not as good as the GS) then I would really consider it. Which ever car you purchase you will enjoy, so please post here to let us know what you decide!
Old 03-02-03, 04:05 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Exclamation bottom line.

don't drive stupid around me in the rain, sleet, snow or sun. Just like a suv owner thinking that 4x4 means safety and overall super performance in these road conditions. Sometimes in a ice storm you get stuck, it happens. Your gs sounds nice...why would you want to trade down and get a car thats awd for no other reason. Reliable cars are what i look for, keep the best car available reliability wise.
Old 03-02-03, 05:50 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Default Re: bottom line.

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
don't drive stupid around me in the rain, sleet, snow or sun. Just like a suv owner thinking that 4x4 means safety and overall super performance in these road conditions. Sometimes in a ice storm you get stuck, it happens. Your gs sounds nice...why would you want to trade down and get a car thats awd for no other reason. Reliable cars are what i look for, keep the best car available reliability wise.
Rather then question my motive, I have to question your reading ability. If from reading my above post you thought I only like the A6 because of the AWD then I don't know what to tell you. Further, I do not see the A6 as a downward movement, perhaps a lateral one.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS or Audi A6