GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Damn it! Another noise!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-01, 01:05 PM
superpocky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Man, I'm getting tired of all these noises coming from my car and I think my dealer is too! I just got rid of a rattle coming from the driver side A-pillar that my car had for about 3 months and now there is a new noise! I have no idea where this one's coming from... All I know is that I hear squeaks when I drive over speed bumps at 5-8 mph and rattles when I cruise at around 20-35 mph.

The noise is driving me nuts! I just want a rattle free car! Is that too much to ask?!

This maybe my first and the last lexus!!! With all these noise, I want to go back to my trusted Nissans! I owned two nissans before this lexus and never had a noise problem!

By the way anyone have any idea where the noise might be coming from??? I have a 2000 GS3.

Old 03-21-01, 01:34 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Mice - you must have mice

c.
Old 03-21-01, 01:38 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

bad luck...

my gs3 has no noises, i wonder what it could be!
Old 03-21-01, 01:41 PM
superpocky
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I wish it was mice. At least they are cute. The problem I got is just annoying. Maybe I got a lemon...
Old 03-21-01, 01:46 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

I had the same noise in my 2000 GS400. It was something loose in the front, driver's side spring/shock area. I took to my dealer and they fixed it easily. It's not a big problem. Something just need tightening in there. I'll try and figure out JUST what the tech did to fix it!!... If you take it to your dealer he should be able to fix it in one visit!!

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 03-21-01, 03:33 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

No matter what, every car will have a rattle or two. It all depends on your driving conditions. I live in Michigan where our roads are rated as one of the worst in the country. My car has been in the dealership for rattles at every oil change. One that is always rattling with no fix is the glove box, other than that, it is basically a rattle free car. If you go in any car and go over a large pothole or bump, they all will make some sort of noise. Plus, every car gets old. I had a '98 Vette before my Lex and was just a total disaster! Rattled no matter what conditions, but after having the lex, I am definitely going to buy another one! Just my two cents.
Old 03-21-01, 03:34 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah, just turn the radio to about 10:00 and you should be all set or buy some Greddys.
Old 03-21-01, 06:33 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Or hang a windchime from the rearview mirror!!! Don't laugh - I've seen that on a Chevy Caprice...... LOL

C.

Old 03-21-01, 07:32 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

well i like to be able to hear my engine, know its still there!
Old 03-21-01, 11:13 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Default I have one annoying one...

The only annoying noise I have in my car now is the sunroof.... everything is quiet... all ihave to do is push the sunroof forward to stop it... oh well.. nothng's perfect...
How did you get a rattle free nissan? All my cousins' nissans have rattles and creaks and stuff... That's why I didnt buy a nissan... Oh BTW... I saw the new Q45 you guys were raving about.... whoooo.. what a nice interior... I still like my lex... but 345 Horses sounds nice..

about the engine... I can hardly ever tell my engine is on. unlike in my Benz... sometimes I just have to jam the accelerator just to make sure I am not just moving in a perpetual constant rate of motion... Plus I like the sound of the WOT....!!!!!!!! (where's the evil laugh face?)
Old 03-22-01, 03:42 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

hahaha i guess this will have to do!
Old 03-22-01, 06:37 AM
superpocky
Driver School Candidate

Default My car's in the shop

I took my car to the dealership this morning and rode with a technician. He was friendly and confimed that there was a rattle coming from the car (Thank god! Most of the time you can never reproduce the rattle at the dealership).

The tech said there is probably something loose around the suspension and he needed to check it out so I left my car there.

Hopeful when I get my car back it's rattle free for a while!!! Everyone including the lexus service manager is getting sick of me coming in for a rattle that's not there, at least according to them.

About the comment about a rattle free nissan... My last nissan with was a pathfinder, was pretty much rattle free. I never really heard anything rattling. I drove it for 3 years without taking it to my dealership for a rattle check. Maybe I got luncky. Because of it, myabe i expected a lot more from a world's finest car.
Old 03-22-01, 09:16 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

MikeGS4PE

I believe I read about a TSB for the glove box rattle.

Have you been down that road with the dealer?

Old 03-22-01, 11:08 AM
superpocky
Driver School Candidate

Default Found the problem!

My dealer just called me up and told me that the problem is in the left front suspension. They have to order 6 parts to get that fixed so I'll be picking my car up today and bring it back again when they get the parts in.

Hopefully after this is fixed no more noise coming from my car!
Old 03-26-01, 10:00 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rattle free nissans

My dad has had 2 brand new nissan vans (quest) and a 95 nissan maxima, and my uncle had a nissan 240sx back then, I don't know about whether they really had any rattles or not, but I think the major reason that they seemed to be rattle free is because then engine noise would almost always be more than the rattle noise.

there is a big difference in driving a nissan and a lexus, the lexus is so much quieter that all of the other background noise in the car starts to show up

especially in a pathfinder, which is an suv, you would definitely have a lot more noise than you would have in new lexus gs3. Even a nissan maxima would be quieter than a pathfinder.

I do think you should have those rattles fixed, but I am pretty sure that the reason your pathfinder seemed to be rattle free compared to your gs3 is because the gs3 is a lot quieter, so don't sweat it, and your lexus dealership should be able to fix ANY rattle you have, if not then you can complain ! :-)

Quick Reply: Damn it! Another noise!