GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bluetooth idea, how to remove center console?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 04:29 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bluetooth idea, how to remove center console?

So I'm tired of my cassette aux cord breaking from all the bending. And I don't want a new stereo with one cause I love my stock navi. So I bought another cassette adapter, and I don't want this one to break, I am planning on getting a bluetooth aux connector to connect to the cord on on my cassette adapter. I am going to drill a hole out the bottom or side of the cassette player and feed the cassette adapter wires through the center console where it will meet the bluetooth adapter in the console. Reason for the bluetooth adapter being placed in the center is so it will always be on charge while the car is on through the 12v plug. Seems like a good idea to me. I won't have to charge it like you would with one of the wireless bluetooth cassettes, with a press of a button (tape) I could play music through my speakers right off of my iphone. And best of all since I won't be constantly plugging and tugging on the cassette wire it shouldn't break and it will look completely stock. Anyone know how to remove center console?
Old 10-15-14, 09:13 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST95-8152.pdf
Old 10-16-14, 02:08 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man! I actually wasn't looking for that but I just used it and it helped me disassemble my navi. I should have worded it better. Do you know where I can find something similar to help me remove my armrest so I can run wires through the console into my armrest box?
Old 10-16-14, 02:08 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For all that work, why not just add a proper input to your deck.
Old 10-16-14, 07:52 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I searched the 2GS forum for "remove center console" and came up with many links that should help you. Here are a few of the results. You can repeat the search and most likely find more helpful information.

Center Console removal-1999 GS300

Installation of Chrome Shifter Bezel Ring

new sound system set up
Old 10-16-14, 11:55 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
I searched the 2GS forum for "remove center console" and came up with many links that should help you. Here are a few of the results. You can repeat the search and most likely find more helpful information.

Center Console removal-1999 GS300

Installation of Chrome Shifter Bezel Ring

new sound system set up

The metraonline link shows it all.
Old 10-16-14, 05:08 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by angus
The metraonline link shows it all.
It actually shows nothing related to the armrest or center console which is what the OP is looking for.
Old 10-16-14, 08:39 PM
fugmaglott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few of the results. You can repeat the search and most likely find more helpful information.
Old 10-17-14, 01:02 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Ugh! Thanks for the help guys I was able to do it somehow. I'm actually going for a different approach. I'm trying to find a way to hook up an aux cord to my stereo or amp so I can install bluetooth right to it. I really really HATE aftermarket stereos so I'm trying to do whatever I can possible to keep my stock navi. And i cannot do the aux to cd player cause i am missing the cd magazine. and idont want to buy one just incase the cd player is broken. Music going through bluetooth then to the cassette adapter really makes the sound quality unbearable. Static noises with treble. I know this subject has been covered a bunch but does anyone have any ideas on an alternative to hooking up an aux cord without using the cd changer or taking apart the tape cassette. So frustrated. I just want bluetooth music. I am Sick of broken cords and bad sound quality.
Old 10-17-14, 01:19 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

WHY couldn't you take the music signal wires from the plug on the back of the cassette player and hook up an aux cord to that? Basically like the 5$ aux thread but using the tape casette wires instead. It would be cheaper to replace the casette player if it breaks
Old 10-17-14, 01:21 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Never mind. I'm not making any sense. I just dont want an after market stereo. Last time I had a really nice double din my car got broken into
Old 10-17-14, 06:27 AM
Debonair
iModerate

<<<@!1!@>>>

eBay has a bunch of Lexus CD magazines for under $20. You could also place a WTB ad in the classifieds and try to find one even cheaper. Either way you could get one to test your Changer and then sell it to someone else if your changer is in fact broken.

Another alternative is a hard wired FM modulator like
THIS THIS
. It hooks up in between your antenna and headunit and interrupts a specific frequency and replaces it with whatever input you are feeding it.

I have used these in other vehicles with great success. I tried it in my GS430 and was not happy with it so I switched to the CD changer input. Its real easy to hookup so it may be worth a shot especially given your time constraints. I don't know what is around you but BestBuy and Fry's Electronics both used to stock these units. Local stereos shops may have them too.

Old 10-20-14, 05:20 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsean400
Ugh! Thanks for the help guys I was able to do it somehow. I'm actually going for a different approach. I'm trying to find a way to hook up an aux cord to my stereo or amp so I can install bluetooth right to it. I really really HATE aftermarket stereos so I'm trying to do whatever I can possible to keep my stock navi. And i cannot do the aux to cd player cause i am missing the cd magazine. and idont want to buy one just incase the cd player is broken. Music going through bluetooth then to the cassette adapter really makes the sound quality unbearable. Static noises with treble. I know this subject has been covered a bunch but does anyone have any ideas on an alternative to hooking up an aux cord without using the cd changer or taking apart the tape cassette. So frustrated. I just want bluetooth music. I am Sick of broken cords and bad sound quality.
I don't think you need the CD magazine.

If you do the $5 mod, you can use the tape adapter without the head in it and it's reported to work.

I assume you found how to remove the console? Just pull up.