GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Reality Check - paint problem with my new GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 01:47 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reality Check

Originally posted by Gabeshell
Here's the problem. The service manager and area rep both told me that if more than one body panel is repainted, that the car cannot be sold as a CPO Lexus.
Interesting! I just bought a CPO car that has been repainted, the dealer did not tell me that and has been in an accident (didn't tell me that either). Are you saying that you cannot certify a car once it has been repainted?

I'm in the midst of this problem myself and struggling with the "diminished value" of a car that has been repainted. I've called Lexus Corporate and should hear back from them on Tuesday. I think that they need to put you in a brand new car personally. Anything less than that is unacceptable.
Old 02-23-03, 01:59 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

I completely agree with you Stealther. As far as the CPO goes, yes, both told me that if more than one body panel is repainted that the dealer cannot certify the car as CPO. I would be angry as can be about the fact that they did not disclose the repaint to you and am glad that they certified the car anyway, but I would speak to the GM of the dealership also. As soon as I hear what Lexus offers me...I'm supposed to hear early this week...if it's not a new car I'm going to the GM.

Panther, you're right about the damage history...the service manager told me that he was going to check the origin history to see if the car had been repaired prior to the dealership receiving the car. I was a little taken back by that. I didn't realize that a dealer could sell a car that had been damaged as a new car.
Old 02-23-03, 02:40 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You would be suprised what dealers would do. My wife bought a "brand new" loaded Altima that we found out a week later had already been sold once to someone else, registered and all. We have no idea why the car was turned back in, for all we know it could have been something wrong with the car. The car only had something like 500 miles on it, they told my wife it was mileage from having to get the car from another dealer due to how fast the Altimas were selling. Dealers, you just cant trust them!! Be sure to let us know how Lexus resolves the problem.
Old 02-23-03, 10:06 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish you the best of luck when dealing with Lexus. I am sure you are used to paint issues with your tl before you traded it in. I had a 99 tl and a 02 tl type S and the paint on that car really sucked!!! The hood looked sandblasted after a few months with the car .
Old 02-24-03, 12:19 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Gabeshell

Well, I filed a complaint with the PA Atty General office and also contacted Kimmel and Silverman. They are the largest lemon law legal firm in the U.S. The service manager got involved Friday evening and told me that he would try to resolve this issue the beginning of this coming week. At this point I really don't have a lot of hope that Lexus is going to give me a new car, but I have to see what they offer. I can gurantee that I won't go away or stop complaining. I already have decided that I will contact the Local TV station consumer reporter as well. The dealership won't want the publicity either. Here's hoping!
I am soooo horrified and sorried to hear this kind of story coming from Lexus. I live in Philadelphia, PA, Please let me know what is the name of the dealer so I can tell ALL my friends NOT TO COME THERE. I go to Wilkie Lexus. They weren't all that great the first time I visit them, but after I called the Cust. Sat. Hotline, since my mechanic who I've been going to for the last 10 years, to me that they didn't change the Transfluid @ 30K Service, and the Airfilter wasn't replaced at the time. They called me back the very next day and offer to bring my car in for check up. I did bring my GS3 in, they took care of it, was happy after all. But, Please insist what you believe is right for YOU, not them. I was insisting that they didn't do the 2 items that my mechanic pointed out to me. They ended up re-did the trans but not the Airfilter. 1 out of 2, still better than nothing. Remember, insisting on what YOU WANT them to do and tell them how you want to do it. In your case, you want a NEW CAR with PAINT attached to it. You didn't come and buy a Brand New Lexus with peeling issue. KEEP saying that this is unacceptable from Lexus. UNACCEPTABLE!!!! I can't imagine what would i do if my Gs3 peeled like yours, I probably would camp out their dealer until the GM comes out and give me the key to a new car, it's beyond monetary reason, it's about your principle: "YOU WILL NOT TAKE NOT **** FROM ANYBODY"

Ok, again, MAY YOU PLEASE POST THE NAME OF THE DEALER WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT FROM, with full number, address, maybe CL Members can all drop a line, or call over there everyday to check up on their **** service and how they treate their customer?

Gosh, I am madden....
Old 02-24-03, 01:06 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

I would make that call in support to you in a heartbeat... Maybe if we can get some Demographical information on our list members it might carry more weight with Lexus Corporate. For example, at the very least, how many members in each state.

Last edited by Stealther; 02-24-03 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-24-03, 02:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

1. That is a DAMN SHAME!!! It is not as if you tried to skimp on 20 thou, and brought a used beater. You went to the dealership and purchased a brand new 40-50thousand dollar automobile. In all honesty, the peeling paint is not that part that burns me, because in all mass production there is built in percentage of defective product. My problem is the resoloutions reccommended by the dealer. HOW IN THE HELL ARE THEY GONNA PAINT 3 PANELS ON A NEW CAR???! The fact the car is not going to be able to CPO'd is EXACTLY WHY THEY SHOULD GIVE YOU A NEW ONE. Think about it, why should the customer be forced to eat a damaged car upfront, and poor resale value on the tail end? I would demand a new car!! no more no less! Let the dealer eat the beater car, and as for that 5500? that would be the number of A$$ES i would be willing to put my foot in to rectify this issue!!

2. If you post the information, I would be more than willing to call, or email this dealership in regards to this matter! Please include some sort of reference number, or name for the sake of organization. To all on this board, do not forget there is strength in numbers! I would not care if it was a Lexus, Beamer, Daewoo, whatever, no one deserves this sort of treatment. We all put ourselves in Gabes shoes and try to help him out.

I would sure want the same type of support from those on the board!
Old 02-24-03, 03:43 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks for your support Dgot20 and Chuck. I'm still waiting to hear from the Service manager. I have another appointment with the area rep on March 4th. The name of the dealer is Motorworld Lexus, 150 Motorworld Drive Wilkes Barre, Pa18702. 1-800-437-8539 or 570-829-3500. WWW.motorworldgroup.com I appreciate any support offered. I'm not aware of any reference number assigned to this case. If you access the web page look under information on the left hand side of the page and then go to managers, this will give you the general manager email and various other people. Thank you for all of your support. This is why clublexus is such a close family! Just bare in mind that the dealer can only do so much and it is the responsibility of Lexus to make this right, through the dealer. I guess that the information that would make it easier to track down is to let them know that you are contacting them on behalf of Thomas Williams.
Old 02-24-03, 06:06 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Gabe, I'm drafting my email now, do me and the rest of the board a favor, post your email address. This way, we can copy you on our emails, and you can compile a log.

Guys on the board, if your going to contact MotorWorld, email would be the best format. We all know what happens to unwanted voicemails!! Also, with email, a paper trail can be created.
Old 02-24-03, 06:20 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks Dgot20s. My email is PSP7239@aol.com. Thanks for the support.
Old 02-24-03, 06:33 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Gabe,

I just sent the message to

Brian Maher
Vice President
New Car Sales
Bmaher@motorworldgroup.com
(570) 821-3795

I copied you on it, I figured I would start with the second in command, and if need be work my way up!!

Good Luck
Old 02-24-03, 06:46 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

depending on how forthcoming you feel the dealership has been with this whole thing, I agree with the mention earlier in this thread of informing your local news consumer reporter about your story. Talk about a REAL impact on businesses that are less than ethical in their practices!!!! You should have management eating out of the palm of your hand at that point....as they should be. Best of luck!!!

Eric
Old 02-24-03, 07:44 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Right after you send your e-mails, visit this poll and cast your vote and leave your comments, pro or negative. I will be giving Lexus Corporate the same URL once the poll closes so that they can see how we look out for our own.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=75280
Old 02-25-03, 12:21 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gabeshell - I'm glad to hear that you are NOT going to back down! This kind of thing can NOT be tolerated. The "repaint" offer is a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned. Lexus and the Dealership should be taking this car back NO QUESTIONS ASKED if they wanted to make it right.

I have very little tolerance for getting "less than expected" (and I would imagine most Lexus owners would otherwise, we would have bought something else) and the fact that Lexus isn't GIVING you a new car is DEFINITLEY less than expected.

If anything, they should give you a better equiped one for all the hassles you've been going though or giving YOU $5500 for the trouble! You bough a new $40K-$50K new car...and they're treating you like you bought some used car at a huge discount...

I can't believe Lexus Customer Service isn't all over this...
Old 02-25-03, 05:16 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks again to all that have commented and those of you who have sent emails to the dealership. Believe it or not Manaray Lexus Customer Service never even called me back. I had to call them after the date that they said I would hear back from them. After speaking with the Service Manager this past Friday, this was the first that he knew the whole story, he has promised to do whatever he can to work this out. He told me that I hear back from him the beginning of this week. Well I would take that as Mon or Tues. If I don't hear from him by this afternoon then I'll be calling the general manager. Again, thanks.

Quick Reply: Reality Check - paint problem with my new GS