GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Reality Check - paint problem with my new GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 04:34 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right Dex, but this falls under my comprehensive policy, therefore there will be no increase in my insurance...Yes, I would have to pay a 250.00 decuctable, but the dealer isn't responsible for replacing the car. At this point I'm getting what I want...a new car. I'm willing to pay 250.00 just to be done with this. I know the priciple of the matter is at stake, but I'm tired of fighting with them...If they didn't offer me a new car today I would still fight, but it's only 250 and I can live with that.
Old 03-10-03, 07:26 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Gabeshell
The whole point for Lexus doing business is this...1. They don't have buy the car back and notify the next owner that the car is a lemon
Really? I'm glad you finally resolved the issue, but hate to think that someone will buy your old GS w/out knowledge of the paint problem
Old 03-10-03, 10:27 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Reality Check

....that the car cannot be sold as a CPO Lexus.....
BULLpoopy. I can't remember how many car's I've seen go to the bodyshop to paint bumpers or other body parts and be sold as a CPO unit when I was working for Lexus. As far as the technicalities go, if you own the car, I'd push to get a new one, this way you don't have to suffer with the depreciation of a "aftermarket painted" car in your ownership.. If you leased it, i'd push to have them repaint the entire car. My $.02.
Ed

Last edited by ///MDex; 03-11-03 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-11-03, 06:36 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right Dex, but this falls under my comprehensive policy, therefore there will be no increase in my insurance...Yes, I would have to pay a 250.00 decuctable, but the dealer isn't responsible for replacing the car. At this point I'm getting what I want...a new car. I'm willing to pay 250.00 just to be done with this. I know the priciple of the matter is at stake, but I'm tired of fighting with them...If they didn't offer me a new car today I would still fight, but it's only 250 and I can live with that.
I'm glad to hear that it's resolved to your satisfaction. That is the important part.

As for the principle, this is how they get you to break down...they just let it go on and on and make it look like there is no hope. In some cases, if you have a buddy who is a laywer or something, you can "take it to the next level" without much cost to you. They will usually respond a little better when there is a lawyer involved and they KNOW they're wrong. Cuz the cost to them to make it "right" down the line will be much more then them just sucking up and admitting fault.

I'm still rather disappointed at Lexus. The Dealership should have to repaint it (and Lexus should compensate the dealership) and then Lexus should let you trade it in for a no-cost new one.

What sucks is that your Insurance company now has to pay for Lexus's DEFECT. I don't give a crap how they want to look at it, it's a damn DEFECT. While this may not increase your rates directly, it does cost the insurance company to pay out (on a crap claim) and that will eventually affect you in the long run. Honestly, I would do a CRAPPY paint job so that the next buyer can hopefully see that it's been repainted. Leave drips, only do light colorsanding (if any), leave overspray, don't mask too well, leave a few fisheyes here and there (fisheye is a painting term, I don't mean it literally!), etc., etc...

I would be pissed if I bought a CPO car that's been completely repainted...bumper paint (to get rid of minor road damage) is OK IMO but not a whole repainted car. They need to just auction that car off....
Old 03-11-03, 07:21 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Manaray
I would be pissed if I bought a CPO car that's been completely repainted...bumper paint (to get rid of minor road damage) is OK IMO but not a whole repainted car. They need to just auction that car off....
Half of mine was... Dealer is waiting for the next auction in Florida (cheapest way for them to get one I guess) to find a replacement for mine.

Glad you were able to resolve your problem Tom. Although I agree with the others that Lexus should have been more proactive in taking care of this. You basically had to threaten them to get them to do anything, and when they did they didn't exactly bend over backwards.

Dissapointing trend...
Old 03-11-03, 08:03 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Lawsuit....

Good morning guys!

I would like to add to that.I have this problem with my Toyota Previa LE supercharge month ago (1997 with 67500 miles on it) I bought brand new back 1997. At around 67,000 miles the turbo break down and when I spoke to the corporate office in California, I was adviced that the turbo should be oiled at 30/60K service by which one of my dealer who did the 60K did not oil, thus cause the breakdown.Went back to my dealer but they DID NOT admit fault even though one of the service guy told me over the phone they DID NOT oil turbo cause it is self contained (to that effect) Brought back the car and they install $3,000.00 new turbo free. They charge me $400 labor by which my attorney told me, it's inappropriate because everything should be free. My atty wrote letter but the customer service manager just ignore it. I tried calling the manager but did not return my call. We are about to pursue the case but when my atty started working on it, we found out that there's a paper that we sign upon purchase that any problem that may arise will NOT go to court but will be on ARBITRATION.To make the long story short, I ended up paying $400 dollars to the dealer (which I think just better off closing the deal.) and got back my van. After reading this post I remembered that when I purchase my Lexuses , there's a piece of paper that I signed about "arbitration" when trouble may arise. This is to cover their back for astronomical legal fees just incase.

Moral Lesson: You Can Still Purchase the Vehicle WITHOUT signing the arbitration paperwork!
Old 03-11-03, 08:52 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

You're absolutely right Stealther. The sad part about all of this is that the dealer is the one taking care of this problem. Lexus has done NOTHING! The deal that is being worked out is a result of the dealer absorbing a certain amount of cost and my insurance company paying to fix the car. In my opinion the dealer is bending over backward at this point to make me happy becuause Lexus is not.

This is not a suprise. It is well documented that the Toyota/Lexus 3.0 V6 motors have a sludge problem. Even though Toyota says that there is nothing wrong with the motor they are still replacing them for free if a problem developes. From what I understand there are a lot of people out there having to fight with Toyota to get their vehicles fixed. I bought this car to avoid problems and have great customer service. So far I have not experienced either.

I'm just greatful, at this point, that I'm getting a new car and this whole problem will be over.

Stealther, why are they replacing your car? And why are they getting you one from an auction?

Tom
Old 03-11-03, 09:33 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Precaution...

Stealth,

Which dealership are you dealing with? I don't understand their point of getting you a car from the auction.
I spoke to one of my friend (Lexus Salesman) and he told me that those cars that they cannot CONFIDENTLY sell in their used car lot, will go to the auction. Meaning, those cars that have been in flood or with major components changed & they believe that might come back several times due to repairs and warranty claim would definitely go to auction. Also, he added that sometimes they sell those type of cars to the generic dealerships down the road Just a word of precaution: Check the car thoroughly because it is very expensive to repair a Lexus.
Old 03-11-03, 02:26 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Stealther, why are they replacing your car? And why are they getting you one from an auction?
They are replacing my car because they represented it as a car that had no paintwork or bodywork done to it. I later found that to be untrue. The dealership says that the auction is the best (cheapest) place for them to find a preowned GS400. They said that the auction is held by Lexus corporate and the cars are mainly Lease returns.
Old 03-11-03, 02:28 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Default Re: Precaution...

Originally posted by FilBoiLsGs
Stealth,

Which dealership are you dealing with? I don't understand their point of getting you a car from the auction.
I spoke to one of my friend (Lexus Salesman) and he told me that those cars that they cannot CONFIDENTLY sell in their used car lot, will go to the auction. Meaning, those cars that have been in flood or with major components changed & they believe that might come back several times due to repairs and warranty claim would definitely go to auction. Also, he added that sometimes they sell those type of cars to the generic dealerships down the road Just a word of precaution: Check the car thoroughly because it is very expensive to repair a Lexus.
From what I have been told, this auction is held every month or so where they auction off Leased vehicles. This is what the dealership has told me at least, I'd appreciate any independant confirmation of this if possible. Obviously I won't wait forever, but the dealership has written me a letter affirming that they will do an even trade for another comparable GS400 "In a reasonable amount of time".

Didn't mean to disrupt your thread Tom!

Last edited by Stealther; 03-11-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 03:41 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, not to be paranoid but before painting the car, I would get something in writing from the sales manager indicating that they would let you trade in the car at no cost to you. Because after you get it painted, he can try to deny that he ever made that commitment to you. You don't want to him back out of his verbal agreement after you've gone through the trouble of painting it. By then your car will be fixed and you won't have the defect on the car anymore as evidence of the problem.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 03-11-03 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 03:57 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

I agree with Sam, have them put it in writing. I feel much better now that I have my letter in hand.

Last edited by Stealther; 03-11-03 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 05:09 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So let me get this right. You have a 2003 GS300 under full warranty with paint problems. Even though the vehicle is still under warranty, you have to pay $250 (deductible) to have your insurance repaint the vehicle, and then the dealership will give you a new car? That is BS!!! I don't see why the insurance company is involved when the damage is under warranty. I am glad to hear that you are finally getting a new car, but I don't think Lexus is dealing with the situation very well. They should bite the cost of repainting and give you a new car.

If I were you, I might consider taking the car to another Lexus dealership, have them repaint it under warranty and then take it to your dealership and get the new car.

Just reading this thread makes me mad. I can't believe Lexus would treat someone in this manner.

Gabeshell, I am sorry to hear you are in this predicament.
Old 03-11-03, 06:47 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks UT. I guess the problem is that Lexus still refuses to admit that there is anything wrong with the car. Obviously there is if they're going to give me a new car, but they refuse to admit it.

I know that the insurance shouldn't have to paint it, but they are willing to take care of it. The deal worked out is that I bring my car and the insurance check to the dealership. I deliver both to them and walk out the door with the new car...I don't have to wait for the car to be fixed and then trade it. I plan on getting the whole deal in writing as soon as everything is finalized. All of you are right that Lexus has handled this in a totally unprofessional manner. I am astounded that this is what Lexus Customer Service is.

At this point I'm willing to cut my losses. I'm getting what I want. What I'm owed. A new car. Yes it will cost me 250 dollars, but it's better than telling them no, fighting it and taking the chance on losing. If Lexus had admitted at any time that the paint was defective that would be a different story.
Old 03-12-03, 01:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Stealther said, VERY dissapointing....well, at least Gabeshell is happy with the deal...

I can't believe Lexus would let this happen...they're starting to get that "Mercedes" mentality...now that they're on top, they don't need to try anymore....

Quick Reply: Reality Check - paint problem with my new GS