GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

having issues with Timing and VVT-i gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 01:51 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default having issues with Timing and VVT-i gear

I been at this GS for almost a whole month now and for some reason I can not get it right for the life of me. I did a timing belt job cause there was a nasty oil leak. I pulled the vvt-i pulley out to replace the cam seal behind the gear. Now the car will not run right.

It was idling perfect after the install, I drove it around the parking lot and It ran great. I took it out on the road for a test drive, that's where it all went down hill from there. The car broke down, it would start but would stall unless I would give it some gas. after 2000rpm is would sound good, no misfires or anything. But, when I drive it, the car feels like it lost a lot of power. I feel like the timing skipped a tooth.

I read somewhere on here or online when installing the vvti gear it must be turned clockwise all the way, then line up the mark on the pulley with the rear timing plate cover. Is this true? can anyone tell me what I did wrong here?

This VVT-I gear is kicking my ***, I need some help
Old 11-14-14, 09:10 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Double check you timing. Hopefully your belt is off a tooth or two and you can put it back where it should be.

But if a realignment does not fix it, most likely the unfortunate happened and you bent some valves because the cam gears were not properly aligned. Sorry for the bad news.

You have a few options that involve pulling the cylinder head for repair or replacing the motor.
A leak down test will narrow down which cylinder is affected.

Good luck...

Last edited by FrankT; 11-14-14 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-18-14, 07:14 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FrankT
Double check you timing. Hopefully your belt is off a tooth or two and you can put it back where it should be.

But if a realignment does not fix it, most likely the unfortunate happened and you bent some valves because the cam gears were not properly aligned. Sorry for the bad news.

You have a few options that involve pulling the cylinder head for repair or replacing the motor.
A leak down test will narrow down which cylinder is affected.

Good luck...

Thanks FrankT, I been through the bent valve phase already. I messed up the timing on my second attempt, it bent 4 intake valves. I had to pull the whole motor and trans to get the head off to send to the machine shop, because of a few stripped bolts behind the intake manifold .

The guys at the shop are telling me it may be the VVT-I actuator. How would I test this component to see if it is good of faulty?

What strange is the CEL stays ON only under 1000 Rpm, when I give it gas to keep the engone from stalling, the light would shut off. There are no pending or stored code, I hooked up a scanner to check for freeze frame data, nothing is stored.

Helpppp
Old 11-19-14, 07:04 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Uggh.,..sorry man but this sounds like bent valves. Good luck to you.
Old 11-23-14, 10:24 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Whoops.. Edit post sorry.