GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarket deck, OEM amp bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15 | 01:58 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mveale
Or you could spend a few extra bucks and order the double din install kit that is a factory Toyota part and matches the trim 100% perfectly.

www.-l-tunedparts.com is the place to get it from. $70 shipped to my door.
100% do this. there is NO substitute for the OEM parts - call up Carson toyota and talk to Luis - I been dealing with him for many, many years.

If you are not going to go back to the stock system ever then forget the harness, it just costs more and is really designed for this who don't want to cut the factory wires if they ever wanted to sell the car stock or return a "leased" vehicle etc. Since out cars are so old, it doesn't make sense.
Old 01-14-15 | 01:59 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam12345
Do not bypass. Use your stock amp and the sub will work food all u need is the head unit and connector adapter and trim plate
There is NO WAY to use the factory amp with an aftermarket deck.

You need to bypass the stock amp and then add a small amp for the sub.
Old 01-14-15 | 02:05 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mulasien
Thanks for the detailed response.

For my needs, the stock speakers/sub is 'good enough' for me. I just want a refreshed head unit with technology from this decade.

Keeping the sub functionality is a must for me, so a bypass might not work. In that case, I'll have to price out a head unit/cheap amp combo. I'm not skilled enough to do the install myself (nor do I have the desire/time to figure it out myself) so I'll have to have a trusted stereo shop do it for me.
Ok, if you don't need "more" or "better" sound then bypass the stock amp (the amp built into most newer decks is probably the same or better anyway) - you cannot use the stock amp with an aftermarket deck because there is no way to turn on the stock amp - it uses a data bus.

I think that the smallest aftermarket amp will suffice for your stock sub - something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sound-Storm-Evolution-EV2-200-Car-Amplifier-50-W-RMS-200-W-PMPO-2-Channel-/301357272747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462a4b0eab

you could run that thing off a 12-14ga power wire and probably get about the same if not MORE bass than stock - BE FOREWARNED - any more power and you'll fry the stock sub, ask me how I know.

Your idea is a great one, upgrade the technology without breaking the bank or going crazy - it's a slippery slope though, my friend.
Old 01-14-15 | 02:11 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some more cheap amps, make sure your deck has an internal low pass for the sub output or you'll need an amp with a built-in low pass.

Really you are only looking for an amp with about the same power as a good "modern" deck has -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USShip-Hi-Fi-Audio-Stereo-Amplifier-for-car-motorcycle-boat-Home-12V-Booster-RCA-/231452202558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e3a0563e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Boss-CE200M-200-Watts-Monoblock-Chaos-Class-AB-Mono-Amplifier-Car-Audio-Amp-/301480622052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4631a537e4
Old 01-14-15 | 09:05 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Thanks for the input. I'll likely then go with a basic amp to wire the head unit into. I'll need to decide how much I want to 'splurge' on my setup .
Old 01-14-15 | 08:35 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by angus
There is NO WAY to use the factory amp with an aftermarket deck.

You need to bypass the stock amp and then add a small amp for the sub.
Yes there is and I am doing it. But I still have the original radio hooked up so my nav still works and I leave it on so that is probably sending the buss signal. I have the original head unit in my glove compartment where the cd player was. And the new head unit where the original radio was. Sub works everything works. And it sound better than the original pioneer system plus I have pandora, usb, aux jack, blue tooth ect.

Last edited by sam12345; 01-14-15 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-15-15 | 03:39 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Yes there is and I am doing it. But I still have the original radio hooked up so my nav still works and I leave it on so that is probably sending the buss signal. I have the original head unit in my glove compartment where the cd player was. And the new head unit where the original radio was. Sub works everything works. And it sound better than the original pioneer system plus I have pandora, usb, aux jack, blue tooth ect.
Hi Sam,

I have a 2002 GS430 with nav. So you're saying you have an aftermarket HU which works because you relocated the original HU into the glove box. Have you got a pic of your aftermarket HU installed and how did you manage to wire your new HU into the system?

Sorry to be lame and ask, but I'm getting bored of not being able to play my iPod, but I like my nav system!

Thanks.
Old 01-15-15 | 04:53 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RichS11
Hi Sam,

I have a 2002 GS430 with nav. So you're saying you have an aftermarket HU which works because you relocated the original HU into the glove box. Have you got a pic of your aftermarket HU installed and how did you manage to wire your new HU into the system?

Sorry to be lame and ask, but I'm getting bored of not being able to play my iPod, but I like my nav system!

Thanks.
On the original Hu I have everything connected except the 4 speaker wires. On the new Hu I have the speaker wires connected and I tapped into the acc power and continous power of the original Hu to power the new Hu. I used the forementioned connectors and extended the length so the wires were long enough to reach the area the original cd was. I had to open up the window of the original cd area so I could have full access to the original Hu buttons. All the functions of the original Hu work except sound because the speakers are not connected. I put the volume a little passed half way on the original Hu and put the balance and fade at center. Then I never need to touch it. Of course power must be on on the original hu. The new Hu is installed where the original Hu was. ( it is below the nav and above the ash tray). Everything works on the new Hu except for fade. The reason fade does not work is because the factory amp only uses two channels so only the front channels are going to the amp. To adjust fade you need to do it on the original hu. My new Hu has a feature to limit the maximum volume and adjust the volume scale for each feature ( cd, Hands free phone, blue tooth, usb, aux, radio) so I adjusted so I do not overdrive the amp. I ran the speaker wires to the amplified wires of my new hd because whenever I have used the rca plugs in the past I always get alternator whine. This set up sounds better than the original set up, I have no alternator whine, and all my nav features work. Plus I can still adjust the subwoofer to speaker balance with the hack in the DIY. So the only draw back is that I can't adjust the sub volume seperate and directly with the new hu like you could if you bought a seperate amp for the subwoofer. Obviously you can bypass the amp and add a new amp for the subs if you want but you will still need to have the original hu connected for the nav to work but now you can leave the power off on the original hu. A ctually if you bypass the amp you only need the small plug plugged into the original hu and the nav will work

Last edited by sam12345; 01-15-15 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-15-15 | 05:43 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

That's pretty awesome! Apart from the fade issue which is hardly an issue at all, that sounds like a pretty sweet work around. Did you manage to find a way to have your new HU fit in without much work?

Thanks for the in depth description too. Looks like my build has another diy to do on it!
Old 01-15-15 | 08:21 AM
bartsitars
Rookie

On the original Hu I have everything connected except the 4 speaker wires. On the new Hu I have the speaker wires connected and I tapped into the acc power and continous power of the original Hu to power the new Hu. I used the forementioned connectors and extended the length so the wires were long enough to reach the area the original cd was. I had to open up the window of the original cd area so I could have full access to the original Hu buttons. All the functions of the original Hu work except sound because the speakers are not connected. I put the volume a little passed half way on the original Hu and put the balance and fade at center. Then I never need to touch it. Of course power must be on on the original hu. The new Hu is installed where the original Hu was. ( it is below the nav and above the ash tray). Everything works on the new Hu except for fade. The reason fade does not work is because the factory amp only uses two channels so only the front channels are going to the amp. To adjust fade you need to do it on the original hu. My new Hu has a feature to limit the maximum volume and adjust the volume scale for each feature ( cd, Hands free phone, blue tooth, usb, aux, radio) so I adjusted so I do not overdrive the amp. I ran the speaker wires to the amplified wires of my new hd because whenever I have used the rca plugs in the past I always get alternator whine. This set up sounds better than the original set up, I have no alternator whine, and all my nav features work. Plus I can still adjust the subwoofer to speaker balance with the hack in the DIY. So the only draw back is that I can't adjust the sub volume seperate and directly with the new hu like you could if you bought a seperate amp for the subwoofer. Obviously you can bypass the amp and add a new amp for the subs if you want but you will still need to have the original hu connected for the nav to work but now you can leave the power off on the original hu. A ctually if you bypass the amp you only need the small plug plugged into the original hu and the nav will work

I call shenanigans

I would love to see pics of this setup.
Old 01-15-15 | 05:16 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RichS11
That's pretty awesome! Apart from the fade issue which is hardly an issue at all, that sounds like a pretty sweet work around. Did you manage to find a way to have your new HU fit in without much work?

Thanks for the in depth description too. Looks like my build has another diy to do on it!
Yes it fits but it has to be 1 din size

you can still adjust the fade but you have to use the head unit in the glove box

I am still waiting for my trim piece to come in the mail

Sorry. The video does not capture the change in bass and balance and fade but it all works trust me

Last edited by sam12345; 01-15-15 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-16-15 | 01:18 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Aww come on man - you can also put the wheels on your roof and turn the car upside down and get it to work.

Really???

Why do this?

It's so easy to do it right and not have bojack rigged up stuff.. Geezz
Old 01-16-15 | 01:23 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

I am still waiting for my trim piece to come in the mail
What trim piece - who makes a trim piece for that? Nobody?
Old 01-16-15 | 04:55 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Aww come on man - you can also put the wheels on your roof and turn the car upside down and get it to work.

Really???

Why do this?

So tell me how else can you do it and have the navigation still work? I really don't use the nav but I don't want to lose the gas mileage feature you get with the nav.

The trim piece that fills the gap on the sides.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and obviously you always have one but I proved it can be done contrary to your statement.

Last edited by sam12345; 01-16-15 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-16-15 | 07:34 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Really???

Why do this?

Got a link to prove this?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket deck, OEM amp bypass