GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 09:34 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I hope you realize you just wasted money. I am surprised no one else said this since I must have said this myself at least 7 times to different people. 99.99% of the time its an exhaust leak or most likely the O2 sensors. The cats rarely ever go bad on these cars, they are built to last, hence why they cost $1500 and an american car has cats that costs $200 you can assume the diffference in price is for a reason. Also, non OEM cats will make the car lose power as it requires the back pressure the CATS cause because it all runs together to form a constant flow of pressure to deliver power to the car. Unless your changing the entire exhaust setup you might notice a loss in power from the NON-OEM cats. Change your O2 sensors first.
I don't know why people always think cats last forever. i had 3 burnt out cats on my gs430...after 13 years things can happen. however, you can just check with a screwdriver...tap it, if it sounds hollow, the cat is burnt out...
Old 01-16-15, 10:18 AM
royalspade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
If u got the "oem" version of the magnaflows u should be okay these come with double the metals that remove the CO and NOx and all. They are the magnaflow cat line that are California emissions approved.. so should last.

How many miles does ur gs430 have? Depending on the codes it's throwing may be a good idea to change all the O2 sensors..from my experiences once one of those goes bad all if them go bad. There's some decent deals in denso oem o2 sensors..
Yes, I did get the OEM "grade" Magnaflow one. Also states that it is California approved. I have 121,000 miles on my car as of right now.

Originally Posted by DMPesso
do you have any check engine lights? the O2 sensors can DEFINITELY make the car sluggish! but 90% of the time when an O2 sensor is bad it will throw a CEL.. When did you notice the power loss? This GS430 is designed very uniquely, depending on what kind of aftermarket exhaust you put on and what you removed in the process that could also be the reason for your power loss as like i said before the performance of the car depends alot on the back pressure the exhaust provides.
Yes I do have a CEL. When the technician scanned it he said that its my cats throwing the codes and never really said anything else. The power loss was intermittent before, but then recently I changed my radiator and parked it for a few days and ever since then the power loss/sluggish-ness is permanent. There was one morning (or two) that my car felt NORMAL meaning I had all my power and after a few miles it went back into its sluggish state. Now, I have an aftermarket exhaust "TopSpeed" catback and the previous owner took my third cat out. So I'm thinking wouldn't a CEL be normal because I'm missing a cat?

I appreciate all the help, this website has been more informative than any body else I've talked to. Even Lexus technicians.....
Old 01-16-15, 10:20 AM
royalspade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brainsurge
I don't know why people always think cats last forever. i had 3 burnt out cats on my gs430...after 13 years things can happen. however, you can just check with a screwdriver...tap it, if it sounds hollow, the cat is burnt out...
Lol everybody is making me go back and forth with this cat deal. Good thing I have 2-3 weeks to wait and to cancel for this cat pair to come in.
Old 01-16-15, 10:45 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by royalspade
Yes, I did get the OEM "grade" Magnaflow one. Also states that it is California approved. I have 121,000 miles on my car as of right now.

Yes I do have a CEL. When the technician scanned it he said that its my cats throwing the codes and never really said anything else. The power loss was intermittent before, but then recently I changed my radiator and parked it for a few days and ever since then the power loss/sluggish-ness is permanent. There was one morning (or two) that my car felt NORMAL meaning I had all my power and after a few miles it went back into its sluggish state. Now, I have an aftermarket exhaust "TopSpeed" catback and the previous owner took my third cat out. So I'm thinking wouldn't a CEL be normal because I'm missing a cat?

I appreciate all the help, this website has been more informative than any body else I've talked to. Even Lexus technicians.....
Then since you have a CEL without you even telling me the codes I can guarantee its the O2 sensors and NOT the cats. Cancel the order NOW and order the O2 sensors from amazon but make sure you get Denso which is OEM. That will fix your problem. Yes cats can go bad if you tap on them and you hear rattling it could clog the air flow if a piece broke off but I know that didnt happen it is your O2 sensors! Your mechanic is highly inexperienced with these cars as he just read the code and it says Catalytic converter not perfomring at optimal threshold or whatever so he automatically assumed it was the converter itself when in reality it is the O2 sensors that arent giving the catalytic converter the proper reading which is why it throws the code. Trust me I have been to hell and back with this car and replaced almost everything, use my costly mistakes as a lesson and listen to me and get the O2 sensors. Changing the cats to non oem will just make things worse!

Last edited by DMPesso; 01-16-15 at 10:48 AM.