GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Before you buy a used Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 03:59 PM
Jackco711
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Before you buy a used Lexus

A buddy of mine is looking into buying a Lexus from a private owner. He is going to have it checked out by the Lexus dealer and have a Carfax done on it. Do you think this is enough research to feel comfortable buying the car. What type of info would Lexus be able to give based on a 1 hour diagnostic examination of the car? Could Lexus be held liable he buys the car based on Lexus' diagnostic and then it ends up to be a dog?

Jackco
Old 03-11-03, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Before you buy a used Lexus

Originally posted by Jackco711
A buddy of mine is looking into buying a Lexus from a private owner. He is going to have it checked out by the Lexus dealer and have a Carfax done on it. Do you think this is enough research to feel comfortable buying the car. What type of info would Lexus be able to give based on a 1 hour diagnostic examination of the car? Could Lexus be held liable he buys the car based on Lexus' diagnostic and then it ends up to be a dog?

Jackco
first of all i think carfax is garbage. it can tell you if a car has a salvage title but it won't tell you if a car has been in accident and reported for insurance. couple of my friends had that happened already, their cars were in accident, fixed using inruance, but nothing on carfax. weird

get lexus to check it out, and also get a good mechanic/body shop that you know to check it out. make sure there is no repaint anywhere, structural damage, frame, etc... lexus doesn't know everything in most cases

and no, lexus won't hold liable if they miss anythign
Old 03-11-03, 10:43 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure he looks for the serieal #s stickers on all major body panels
Old 03-12-03, 12:21 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

well, dont trust lexus dealer too! i bought my 2000 GS4 2months ago, and it was in rain.
so i cant c the car detailly, but i need the car in hurry.
then i trust the dealer said its certified with 4 more years warrenty. but since i washed my car almost 3 times a week
i realize the front bumper and the rear bumper both had been repaint, only trust urself
and make sure the car has been clean and check it under the sun!!!
maybe this is my first car, so i dont have experience to check to car from head to toe. but still.......

Good luck!
Old 03-12-03, 12:48 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Get a mechanic and/or a body shop to look at it before you plunk down any cash. Check for VIN stickers on all body panels (make sure they match the car!). Look at the paint for defects/overspray on trim. Put it on a lift and look/feel for overspray or bodywork.

Next time I get another used car I will go over it with a fine toothed comb, then pay a body shop to do the same. Too many dishonest people out there, if they refuse to let you do it, walk away.
Old 03-12-03, 02:13 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

man...GS4 is a really nice car, but i am sure i will never get a used car anymore
i dont even trust how the last owner drive it.
So i suggest u to get a brand new rather than a used
Old 03-12-03, 05:14 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Before you buy a used Lexus

Originally posted by Jackco711

Jackco
I found a low mileage GS400 at autotrader.com at a Lexus dealer. Carfax says the odometer is tempered but Autocheck says clean. Although the price is attractive for this low mileage GS, I am not going to take a chance on this vehicle.
Old 03-12-03, 06:22 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

I just purchased a 99 GS400 from a private owner without "certification" and I'm very satisfied. I've always purchased used vehicles from private owners and never once bought from a dealer or purchased a used car warranty. Most significantly, I've never had a situation where it would have been financially benefical to have a used vehicle warranty (even with American made cars).

Important facts:
From all of the information I've gathered, it seems that if you buy a Lexus from a private owner that already carries a pre-owned certification from Lexus, the warranty does not transfer to the next owner (i.e. you). So, if you see an ad from a private owner that claims "xxxx left on the Lexus pre-owned certification" it has absolutley no value to you as the warranty is not transferrable. However, depending on the mileage and condition of the vehicle, you can get a car "certified" through a number of companies that offer used vehicle warranties. For example, my friend recently bought a 2000 GS400 and purchased a service warranty for the car (not through Lexus) for around $1000.

Pros of buying a certified vehicle.:

1. A non-regular maintenance service item warranty that typically lasts until 100,000 miles.

2. The vehicle has been inspected for major mechanical, electrical, or structural damage.

Cons of buying a certified vehicle:

1. In the case of my vehicle purchase, a $7000 premium between Lexus certified pre-owned retail price and what I actually paid for the car.

2. Analysis of the service histories of most Lexus vehicles reveals the chances you will have a +$1000 mechanical failure before 100,000 miles are slim to none. The companies that offer these warranties analyze the cumulative vehicle service histories and base the cost of their warranties on this information. They bet with the odds in their favor, or they wouldn't stay in business. Remember, the warranty does not cover regular maintenance items like brakes, tires, belts (timing or accessory), hoses, spark plugs, or oil changes.

3. Although a certified pre-owned vehicle has been "inspected", this does not guarantee that the vehicle has not been in a major accident or that major repairs have not been done to any part of the vehicle. The warranty only protects you from failure of non-regular maintenace items until the end of the warranty period.

4. Many used car warranties carry a deductible that must be paid (by you) each time a covered repair is made.

5. Almost any perormance modification you make to the car will void the warranty.

Summary:
In my opinion, it is very advantageous to buy a privately-owned Lexus without certification at private-party (or less) pricing vs. Lexus Certified Pre-Owned at dealer retail pricing. All you have to do is follow a few basic rules on how to buy a privately owned vehicle with confidence. This is all common sense stuff and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get it right:

1. Have the vehicle put up on a lift and let a mechanic check for structural damage or mechanical problems (leaks, signs of gasket making material where it shouldn't be, etc.). Most garages will provide this service for less than $50. If the owner is unwilling to accomodate this request, you should immediately remove this vehicle from consideration.

2. Test the car. Bring a check list of features and functions on the car. Functionally test every feature and check them off from your list as they are tested. In the "passion of purchase", it is easy to forget these items which is the reason to bring a check list so you don't forget something (kind of like a grocery list).

3. Drive the car. Conduct both city driving and highway driving. Look for strange pulls or vibrations through the steering wheel at cruise or during breaking. If the steering wheel pulls to one side, there is likely an alignment problem (which could be a sign of accident damage and / or suspension problems). If there is vibration only during braking, the rotors are likely warped. If there is vibration at almost any speed, there is likely a bent wheel. If there is vibration only at highway speed, there is likely a tire balance problem.

4. Run a carfax / autocheck report. It won't guarantee that major damage has not been done to the car, but it does verify all the registration and emissions events (mileage is recorded at emissions inspections). This information was very helpful to corroborate the general history of the vehicle (inferred # of owners, state of registration, etc.). Well worth the $15 spent.

Good luck.

Last edited by tomtnc; 03-12-03 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-12-03, 07:04 AM
Import_Boy
Rookie

very very good info. Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-12-03, 08:51 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Before you buy a used Lexus, you need to know how to buy a use car,
Do a search on yahoo on "how to buy a used car" there are tons of websites that offer good advices on what to look for in used car.
Old 03-12-03, 09:00 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

tomtnc, excellent information. I was too lazy to type all that out!
Old 03-12-03, 01:46 PM
docrings
Rookie

Also realize that on Lexus CPO cars the following are not covered:
Glass
"Shiny metal"
lightbulbs
amongst a list of other things they don't discuss with you until after the sale. They want you to think it is a VERY comprehensive warranty, almost like a new car warranty (which it is NOT).

For example, the realization of this warranty limitation is that if your headlight housings get water in them when it rains, they will not offer to replace them under the CPO warranty... The warranty actually says "lightbulbs" are not covered, but I guess no one has sued them to get them to replace the headlight housings which have a "manufacturing defect" (unless they were "meant" to get water in them!), but which they refuse to replace under warranty.
Under a CPO warranty it is almost like pulling teeth on some items (at least at my Lexus dealer in Kearny Mesa, San Diego). They will review your routine service history and take into account whether you come to them with your $$$ for regular service before they will honor some of the warranty items (like headlight housings which fill with water and should be covered...). The problem is, I PAID for that warranty (did someone say $7000 earlier?)
Of course, doing your own oil/filter, tranny, diff changes is SO easy and is not worth a couple hundred bucks at the dealer, so you have to make a choice (like all things in life!) Do I want to be a "buddy" with my dealer and let them do everything and get warranty work done without questions, or do it myself at home as a car enthusiast, but get warranty stuff done with lots of hemming-and-hawing by the dealer?

MTCW,
Doc Rings

Last edited by docrings; 03-12-03 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-12-03, 02:33 PM
Jackco711
Pole Position

Good posts tomtnc and docrings. Thanks much. Very useful information.

Jackco
Old 03-13-03, 08:44 AM
gtarantino
Driver School Candidate

Default Never trust a dealer

I bought a BMW from a dealer here in Switzerland and the hood is rusting. BMW's warranty is not going to pay because the hood had been repainted in the past and nobody knew about it!
Then I'm screwed!
Old 03-13-03, 10:36 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Since many of you are discussing warranty, I do want to clarify that if you buy a Lexus from a private owner and if the car is still under factory warranty, that warranty is fully transferrable to the new owner at no cost to either party. It says so very clearly in my GS4 warranty booklet. However, it may be a different story when buying a "certified" Lexus since their warranty may not be transferrable. But just like anything else, if you are buying a private used Lexus, you can always buy an extended warranty from an independent company for your peace of mind depending on the age and mileage. Buying a brand new Lexus doesn't guarantee you won't have breakdowns even if you baby it.

Quick Reply: Before you buy a used Lexus