GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 99 GS400 died on me today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 09:16 PM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auction/Warranty...CPO

I don't exactly know how would they do the paperwork with regards to the warranty on auction lot.Most cars are sold"As Is Where Is" basis. I had noticed that many dealers are running the history of the car when presented for service. Some maintenance that are not recorded in the Lexus data bank are presumed to be NOT done (like oil change somewhere else, etc..) and they are looking as to who did the last major one and where did you purchase the vehicle.If the dealer thinks that the customer is just giving them trouble for this and that claim and infact has no solid proof of proper maintenance,plus they did not make money from that transaction in the first place, they resort to go "run around" which makes us all dissappointed and blame the whole Lexus brand. They are in the business to make money and not lost money.If they could turn you away gracefully, they are glad to do that. That's why if you go to the service with 10 complaints, to go with the relentless pursuit of perfection, they try to accomodate some w/c are less costly.One tech friend told me that those who bought their Lexus somewhere else are those who are very very demanding for perfection whereas, those who bought their Lexus new and do proper maintenance are the less headaches. He also added that 80% of their customers are repeat brand new buyers and 20% are problematic experimental, I quote him "have a fine taste of wine in a soda budget." He explained to me that a CPO warranty is NOT transferable to another owner.That's why the FULL 7 yrs. 100K bumper to bumper warranty was reduced to 5 yrs. 50K miles as explained to me and they have to sell the extended warranty up to 100K miles..If a used Lexus can pass the certification process, the cost is only $2K-$4K not $6K-$7K premium. No major components altered, no total repainting, no submerge to flood, first owner, less than 60K original miles,within 5 model year new, with zero deductible.If the car won't pass he told me they send that to the wholesaler/ or auction.If they are off lease and they do all the service, then the car could command a higher premium after passing CPO and many of those has buyers in the salesmen waiting list ( mostly regular customers contacts)... Just sharing with you what I've learned from hanging out with them. You can certainly dance with them very well (service) if you know their music!
Old 03-12-03, 09:27 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by VVT-i
That's sound really strange for the dealer who got a trade in such a nice car and send it to the auction. Most of the dealer if they get a hand on the 99 GS400 that's nice as your car, there's no way they will send the car to the auction.
Quite possibly because they prefered not to deal with import, japanese, and/or luxury cars.

I know back when I was looking for a used Maxima some time ago, almost every American-made car selling dealer told me they had a strict policy that if anybody ever traded in a foreign car, it'd go off to auction. They say that very few people look for used cars that are different from the dealer's new car stock. In other words if it was a Geo dealership, I doubt many people would come in there looking for a used Ferrari or Viper.

Sending cars to auction is an extremely common practice, and if they think they can sell another car for a greater profit or sell it more quickly, then the other car is going to auction in a heartbeat.
Old 03-13-03, 05:22 AM
axel
Rookie

Default Back to the original question....

Back to the original problem... I had the same thing happen a while back, and it was the TPS. The car restarted and ran perfectly afterwards, but the code will be stored in the car's computer, so the dealer can check and confirm. The TPS was replaced under warranty, but a couple of months later it happened again. Stopped at a Stop sign, the car turned off. Restarted after a few seconds and ran fine initially, then after a few miles the throttle stopped responding unless I floored it. Great fun in morning rush hour traffic! (On Peachtree Industrial, for the Atlanta folks). Fortunately the dealer was just a few miles down the road. It was fixed again, and it has been six months without any problem so far.

Even if it is working now, I would highly recommed having it checked out! When the TPS malfunctions, it is unpleasant at best, and downright dangerous depending on the situation.
Old 03-13-03, 08:38 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

If you think your Lexus is unreliable, go to the benz forums and look how many complains they have including myself. I now have a 325ci (which has no problem so far..knock on wood!) and a slk for about a month and I already have a problem with the window with a huge gap and my interior lights and trunk lights are all busted. I miss my GS now since it was completely trouble free.....i think you may've just got a rare lemon...
Old 03-14-03, 12:27 AM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Threxx
Nevermind... I'm going to guess it's this problem, that everyone seems to be having.

I bought this car because I thought it would be reliable...

4k miles of driving and I've had to have the waterpump (and serpantine belt) replaced because it was leaking, both headlights replaced because of condensation, $780 worth of service done at 30k miles, and now my car stalls on me at idle without the A/C on... wow... so this is why everyone says Lexus is so reliable?
You are not having the typical experience....

The warranty should have covered that waterpump, it should have never broken/Not normal..... Also, many members have had their headlights replaced for free.. do a search for related threads.
Old 03-14-03, 06:58 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 98 GS400

I have an extremely hard time believing that a DVD would cause your auto door closers and laser cruise control to quit working. I also have a very hard time beleiving that excessive use of a cell phone would cause any problems with the onboard computer.
I could however see where topping off or filling up with the key in could cause the computer to be confused with your gas milage, since it would reset itself prematurely and you would still be filling up.
I have no doubt that this is what you were told by the dealership. I'm not saying that you're lying. But I am saying that I think your dealer is feeding you a whole lot of bull****.

Originally posted by FilBoiLsGs
I've got this 98GS400 5 years ago (new) and the car runs/performs just like day one.The milage is already 54,000 and I haven't experience any problems similar to what has just been mentioned. Nakamichi replaced one time/tires and battery. That was it. Never the car put me into embarassment so far.The same with my 98 LS400. It has 80,482 miles today and no major trouble so far. Did my 60K service at around 75,000miles last month.Replaced tires/battery& driver side power mirror under warranty. I still believe that Lexus has the best reliability,durability & dependability in the luxury car industry.
Oh by the way, my service tech replaced the gas cap @60K service.I ask why because I dont see any problem with it. It was explained to me that upon testing my gas cap can no longer hold a certain vapor pressure( it has something to do with the gas cut-off safety feature incase of accident) when they test it with their diagnostic w/c is part of their 60Kservice. Gas cap cost less than $20.00 They also told me that I have to remove the key from the ignition while filling up gas even though the engine is off and DO NOT top off gas because this would interferre the computer program design for the gas/milage/trip computer.I don't know how true but I think they (Lexus tech) knows better about their cars.Just like when you start your car, the computer sensor everywhere send info(like gas tank volume/pressure, etc,etc) from different sources to the main computer. This sounds complicated but I think this might also be the affecting factors to the problems.Some people have their key in the car "ON" position even though engine not running, and listening to their favorite music while filling up gas.One Lexus tech told me this will screw up the computer in the long run and give erroneous message.Same effect with prolonged use of cell phone and CB radios on board the first class Lexus cabin. Long time ago, I remembered that upon delivery the salesman are spending over 3 hrs just to explain all of this and that to operate this sophisticated vehicle.By following their instructions religiously plus proper maintenance my Lexus had given me no headaches. I tried using a portable DVD in the LS430 and noticed that the auto door closer won't work at times and the intuitive laser guided cruise control won't pick up the subject at one side. Brought the car back to service and wan't me to remove the DVD out of the cabin
Old 03-14-03, 08:28 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Re: Correction!

Originally posted by Threxx
I have an extremely hard time believing that a DVD would cause your auto door closers and laser cruise control to quit working. I also have a very hard time beleiving that excessive use of a cell phone would cause any problems with the onboard computer.
I could however see where topping off or filling up with the key in could cause the computer to be confused with your gas milage, since it would reset itself prematurely and you would still be filling up.
I have no doubt that this is what you were told by the dealership. I'm not saying that you're lying. But I am saying that I think your dealer is feeding you a whole lot of bull****.
I want to clarify what I have said in the previous post. I DID NOT say that the auto door closer and the cruise control TOTALLY QUIT or STOP working. I said that the auto door closer WON'T WORK AT TIMES, meaning, there are four doors in the cabin and one in the trunk & one or more doors won't close via the auto feature at times (sometimes) contary to ALL door auto feature won't work totally. I hope this is clearer.

Regarding the laser cruise control, again I DID NOT say that it quits working. I said that it won't pick up the subject in one side. Meaning that the car icons in the screen is not complete and the number of bar lines in the screen is not complete on one side. This is the indicator of how far away and how safe is the distance of the car from other vehicles. It can also be that the glass of the lens of the camera in the front bumper is dirty or obstructed or maybe one or more of the sonic sensors (is/are) dirty/obstructed. Lexus clean my lens and possible obstructions and after removing my cheap DVD player I bought from Best Buy, the car is now PERFECT as what I expected. The culprit is my cheap after marketstuff.

Now I am planning of buying the LX470 with BUILT -IN on board entertainment center and hoping that the night view feature (night vision equivalent) will be perfect and all the birds and animals will be showing in the screen while I am driving at midnight! No distortion, best cinematography because I will hook up the aftermarket DVD in the laundry room and not in my car anymore.

DO I have to mention that the massage center at the back seat has a limited timing & shut down each time I watch a movie & not as hard as the strokes of the shiatsu back in Tokyo? I am expecting perfection or close to perfection on this 80K sedan.

I don't exactly know if you can relate or understand with what I am saying here. I hope I can be understood.
Like you, at first I thought....I had a hard time understanding of what Lexus tech had explained to me especially that an English language is not my mother tongue. ( though I speak over 42 other dialects to add more confusion) I was very SKEPTICAL TOO but i have an open mind. Not very open that my brain would fall off though. And I don't really think what they have had told me is all "bulls.....S"

I am NOT writing this post to impress the world or just for the sake of writing garbage composition. I am writing this in order to share out informations, suggestions, or any knowledge that I have gained from my experienced of OWNING ( I don't go for lease or renting a lifestyle .... not intended to offend anyone who does for personal/financial reason) a fleet of LS400, LS430, 2 GS400's and an RX300(yes, I have them in my ranch). I believed & confident to say that the informations that I may share might be of help to other members too.

Again, If you DON'T believe, You Don't Have To....It's just NORMAL to be SkepticAL... Just keep dreaming,

believing and reaching for the stars...then...I'll see you at the TOP!!!!!

Oh,by the way, where they able to make the BMW 745i iDrive perfect? Sorry.....Just asking.......
Old 03-15-03, 12:56 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, but since you mentioned leaving the gas station...it happened to my mom's toyota, but check this thread out
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=75117
Old 03-16-03, 10:31 AM
Coolguy949
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you should try some fuel injection cleaner. There might be some gunk in there.
Old 06-14-03, 09:11 PM
donsgs4
Driver School Candidate

Default please help

I have a 2000 gs 400 with 60k miles, recently when the weather warmed up the car started to idle rough if I didn't have the AC on. A lexus mechanic told me to unplug the ground on the battery for 15 minutes to reset the ecu. After I did this the car ran perfect and idled higher at around 700 rpm. But after I shut the engine off the next time I go to drive the car was totally different. When I turn the key the engine turns over then dies. If I do get it to start I have to constantly give it gas or the car will die. I unpluged the battery again and the same thing happened. The first time I drove it was perfect, the car idled around 700 rps and didn't even shake at all, totally smooth. But after I turned it off it wouldn't idle at all it would just die. My dealer has my car now and isn't sure what the problem is yet. They replaced the tps but it didn't help. Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-03, 07:23 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Wink

After reading the 'expert' commentary regarding the problem described I thought I'd pipe-in.

It sounds like a Throttle Body Sensor fault. The 'TBS' has been a source of GS problems for quite awile. Do a search and you'll see the history of this problem. Someone mentioned to take your care the dealer or someplace that can 'read' the fault memory to confirm; Excellent input.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-03, 09:06 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Most of the Toyota products I have owned over the years have had a low idle issue after being started warm (i.e. hot car, turned off for 1-10 minutes and then re-started.). Most often this was noticable just after getting gas.

However, my GS430 and my RX300 have not exhibited this problem - but if they did down the road, I would not be surprised.

Doug

Last edited by doug_999; 06-15-03 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-15-03, 09:41 PM
wilassasin
Driver

I HATE AMACO GAS, I'VE ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT! I OWN A NEW GS00, AND A 95 MAXIMA SE BOTH HAS HAS PROBLEMS AFTER USING AMACO, JUST MY THOUGHTS!