GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Official Winter Beater

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 08:27 AM
Tranman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Official Winter Beater

Well, it's official....my car is a winter beater now

I was gonna take my Eclipse GSX (AWD) out this morning.....however, it there was freezing rain earlier in the morning so there was like a quarter inch of ice on the car. Couldn't even get the freakin' door to open. So I decided to brave the winter weather in my GS430. Definitely an experience I haven't felt in awhile...fear. Snowy highways aren't too bad, but when you got a layer of ice underneath...that changes the entire story.

I put it in ECT Snow mode and it still slipped trying to accelerate from 35 to 40mph...good thing VSC saved me. In fact, it saved me about a dozen times trying to get to work. Very scary when I heard the beep the first time it engaged, I was like WTF is that sound? Never heard it before (of course, it's only got 530miles on the odometer). But I was more fearful of other drivers hitting me rather than me spinning out.

Anyways, it took me 45 minutes to get to work today when it normally takes 15. But hopefully this should be the last winter blast of the season up here....so I'll definitely invest in a set of good snow tires next winter.

End of rant

Last edited by Tranman; 03-13-03 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 09:58 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've got big ones dude.

I would've taken the AWD after prying it open and letting it thaw or something. The GS does notoriously poor in the slick stuff.

Glad you're OK.
Old 03-13-03, 10:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually it's pretty ironic but I've had better luck in the snow and ice in my GS4 than I've had in both my FWD Maxima and 2WD Silverado... both of which 'in theory' should be better at handling the elements... the Maxima since it's FWD and the Silverado since, well, it's a truck.

Matter o' fact I think the scariest vehicle I've ever driven on snow and ice was a 4WD Tahoe... it accelerated OK, but handling and braking were horrible.
Old 03-13-03, 10:19 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

We have the same situation up here in Southern Alberta Canada, Last night I was leaving work and to my surprise when I walked outside it was raining. The night before we got about 4 cm of snow and the temp has not been any higher than -4C. I got in my GS 400 and just wished no one would hit me. I got on the main road and it was a pure skateing rink. I did not go faster than 60 km/h in a 110 km/h zone. That was also the biggest test yet for my Michiline Pilot Alpines, they worked better for the conditions than I thought they would but in those conditions it realy dont matter what tire's you got trying to stop 3600 Ibs on pure ice is a challenge. My bet for those road conditions is if you dont have to go anyware no matter what tire or car stay home!. P.S I saw a hummer that lost it comming of a off ramp! I just drove past him.
Old 03-14-03, 12:08 AM
chanmannyhc
Driver

who ever told you Front wheel drive is better in the snow was a moron or just lying their *** off
Old 03-14-03, 07:03 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by chanmannyhc
who ever told you Front wheel drive is better in the snow was a moron or just lying their *** off
With EVERYTHING else being equal, FWD generally is better in snow because

1- 99.8% of the cars on the market have significantly more weight over the front wheels than they do over the rear wheels... especially during light-throttle applications.

2- Front wheel drive pretty much accelerates in whatever direction you point the front wheels, even when the front wheels have little or no traction. Rear wheel drive on the other hand will send the back end of your car fishtailing all over the place regardless of what direction your steering wheel is pointed.

Now who's the moron again? Sounds to me like somebody is a bit ignorantly biased by the fact that he drives a RWD car.
Old 03-14-03, 03:10 PM
Tranman

The only reason why people think AWD/4WD/FWD is better than RWD in the snow is because people can get better acceleration. However, when slowing down and braking, everyone is on equal ground....on another note, many people who drive SUV's feel invincible...but the extra weight just means more momentum for you to slide with.

But on ice, everyone has to beware...in acceleration...but especially braking.

Last edited by Tranman; 03-14-03 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-15-03, 07:56 PM
chanmannyhc
Driver

Thats not true I drive a POS plymouth sundance and it never turns on snow, I keep plowing straight no matter where the wheel is turned. this is on new snow tires too. I'm not ignorant but make comments on what I know. Last year when I was driveing my gs in the snow it never really plowed like the sundance and fishtailing was never a problem unless I wanted it to like drifting!

Last edited by chanmannyhc; 03-15-03 at 08:00 PM.