GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just dynomated doors!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 01:21 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just dynomated doors!

after using brown bread for my trunk. I dynomated all four doors and underpanel where sub is located inside the trunk today. Result is quiter inside the cabin, although not as much noticeble as when I did the trunk last time, it is quieter. Problem is not I am noticing the road noise coming from under the car and engine noise more. I guess its due to elimination of noise from doors and trunk causing noise from under the car more noticeble. Exhaust noise from my borlas is virtually gone other than when I step on the gas. No drone. Has anyone here done dynomat or other sound deading done under the seats and bottom of the car? also how about under the hood? I am thinking about doing the hood next.
Old 03-14-03, 09:54 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

You should just have your car dipped!
Old 03-14-03, 02:38 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your GS wasn't quiet enough for you?

The other day I started getting kind of upset because my GS4 has some tiny little creaks and rattles when I go over big bumps. But when I started to think about it, 99% of the cars on the planet you would never have heard these rattles because the road noise would have masked them.

In other words, when you make a quiet car, your noise "ceiling" lowers. Everyone knows that. But what a lot of people don't realize is that your ears get adjusted to the noise levels. So that's why the first time you road in your lexus everything seemed so silent, and then after you got used to it, you started to pick up on road noise. Unless they somehow make a car that's literally 100% silent, you're always going to hear some road noise no matter how well sound-deadened the car is.

Just about the only thing that can give you some perspective on the whole thing is by going and riding in another mid-class car. It's only then you will realize just exactly how quiet your car is.

I guess what I'm saying is that sound deadening is kind of like crack... it feels good at first but a few days later you stop noticing the effects and you want more.
Old 03-14-03, 07:12 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Of course my gs is quiet as hell. Just like you said I am used to it and want more tranquility.
I could only hear hum of my exhaust and the people outside when I drive off always looks at my car because of my mean grawl so I know that my sound deadning works. But I am thinking about getting turbo or maybe getting a header or race pipe so I want to reduce the inside noise as much as I can.
Well, like you said MOD-ing is like crack, I can't stop.....
Old 03-16-03, 03:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally posted by kapdori
Of course my gs is quiet as hell.
I heard hell is not very quiet! It will get louder with the screams of former terrorists and Saddam soon.
Old 03-16-03, 07:39 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I heard hell is not very quiet! It will get louder with the screams of former terrorists and Saddam soon.
you are right bit,
have you done anything on your car after your trunk and rear seat? you know your are the one that started sound deadning for me. Causing me to spend more money . Well, I am glad though, I have much quieter ride.
Old 03-16-03, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally posted by kapdori
you are right bit,
have you done anything on your car after your trunk and rear seat? you know your are the one that started sound deadning for me. Causing me to spend more money . Well, I am glad though, I have much quieter ride.
Did I tell you I'm an investor in B-Quiet and Dynamat? J/K!

No, I didn't do more than that yet... one of these days I'll try to put my boatload of Vcomp under the front carpet - that's what I'd really like to do.

How hard was it to do the doors? Any pics?

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 03-16-03, 10:06 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

I had it best buy guys install it for me at the same time as I was getting my clifford alarm. So installation was not bad. From what I saw, it was pretty easy to take off the doors. I think I could have done the doors without too much problem if I wanted to. How are you going to put the v-comp under the front carpet? I would like to get either brown bread and v-comp or dynamat with v-comp under the front carpet too. Could you let me know what happens? thanks
steve
Old 03-16-03, 10:43 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Threxx
Your GS wasn't quiet enough for you?

The other day I started getting kind of upset because my GS4 has some tiny little creaks and rattles when I go over big bumps. But when I started to think about it, 99% of the cars on the planet you would never have heard these rattles because the road noise would have masked them.

In other words, when you make a quiet car, your noise "ceiling" lowers. Everyone knows that. But what a lot of people don't realize is that your ears get adjusted to the noise levels. So that's why the first time you road in your lexus everything seemed so silent, and then after you got used to it, you started to pick up on road noise. Unless they somehow make a car that's literally 100% silent, you're always going to hear some road noise no matter how well sound-deadened the car is.

Just about the only thing that can give you some perspective on the whole thing is by going and riding in another mid-class car. It's only then you will realize just exactly how quiet your car is.

I guess what I'm saying is that sound deadening is kind of like crack... it feels good at first but a few days later you stop noticing the effects and you want more.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't mind a little quieter GS. Take a ride in a late model LS400 and you'll be amazed. I understand the LS430 is even quieter.
Old 03-21-03, 06:21 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can use closed cell foam under your carpet to make the car even quieter. 1/4 inch makes amazing results. Certain brands of the foam (Insulite) also act as temperature retainers. Meaning that the car will heat up or cool down faster when you turn on your heat/condition and would keep the temperature for longer when you are out of the car. I use the same stuff in my car that Army and NASA uses for wetsuites/low heat insulation and the results are pretty amazing.
Using a mass loader (Dynamat, RAAMmat) on your doors won't do that much for blocking the outside noise but prevent flexing of panels when heavy bass notes hit loud. This also make your SPL go up since there would be less energy wasted on panels flexing.

Try http://www.foambymail.com/ for cheaper stuff.
Old 03-21-03, 08:33 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Originally posted by meanboy
Unfortunately, I wouldn't mind a little quieter GS. Take a ride in a late model LS400 and you'll be amazed. I understand the LS430 is even quieter.
I agree with you 100% Many times I was thinking if I could make my GS as quiet as my LS400. I use my LS400 on a daily basis (bcuz I think it is more economical in gas & very comfortable) and my GS400 3 x /wk esp. when I work out to create a younger image out of me( I'm in my mid 30's). I find the LS extremely quite & the GS400 just a bit harsh. Of course, I know each car is designed differently. If I could do something to make my GS as quiet as the LS I would definitely do it. In comparing my LS430 to the LS400 (personaly) I think the LS400 rides softer than the LS430. Both cars have AVS. The way I describe the LS400 is, it is infact floaty & the LS430 is just like a heavy GS400 with too much sound damping. The engine bay is very smooth in the 430 as well as shifting. The description of the 430 is just like you're inside the library but you can feel many bumps compared to the LS400. The engine bay/humming of the LS4 is more prominent than the LS430 and I think the ride of the LS400 is more serene. Both cars are very very nice but there were times I feel confused which is really quieter & rides better..... I use the LS400 more than the LS430 when I don't need the 430's nav & massage...but I use the GS400 if I think im cleared of my traffic tickets and want to start again....
Old 03-21-03, 09:13 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

My GS rattles like crazy when the road is bumpy. That's the only thing that disappoints me about it. Well, that and it's not all that quiet on the freeway. My dash, passenger seat, console, and seatbelt housing on both sides rattle. My A pillars seem a little loose too. I am not sure if that's where some of the rattles are. And my dash has a dime size bump in it.

But during the next service I am going to have them keep the car until it's all fixed. That should keep the dealer busy for a while.
Old 03-21-03, 10:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Hey Retrodrive,

Just read this post (see below) and I must say you have me intrigued..........

Are you saying that installing the closed cell foam under the carpet, doors, trunk instead of using the Dynamat, Brown Bread is better for sound insulation (reducing engine, road and possibly wind noise) ?

I have been comtemplating getting the brown bread stuff, but am concerned about the weight of that stuff - it's quite heavy if you do your whole car and I am not sure I will like the trade off in performance (by increasing the weight of the car) as opposed to a slightly quiter ride..........

Please clarify this for me..

Thanks!
Originally posted by retrodrive
You can use closed cell foam under your carpet to make the car even quieter. 1/4 inch makes amazing results. Certain brands of the foam (Insulite) also act as temperature retainers. Meaning that the car will heat up or cool down faster when you turn on your heat/condition and would keep the temperature for longer when you are out of the car. I use the same stuff in my car that Army and NASA uses for wetsuites/low heat insulation and the results are pretty amazing.
Using a mass loader (Dynamat, RAAMmat) on your doors won't do that much for blocking the outside noise but prevent flexing of panels when heavy bass notes hit loud. This also make your SPL go up since there would be less energy wasted on panels flexing.

Try http://www.foambymail.com/ for cheaper stuff.
Old 03-21-03, 12:39 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is exactly what I am saying. Those two products (foam and dynomat) are designed for absolutely different purposes. Dynomat prevent panel flexing by adding extra weight to it but does very little (comparing to foam) for reducing outside noise. Sound deadening and sound insulation are completely different and work best when combined. The best alternative that had been found so far is laying down some close cell foam, laying strips of RAAMmat under it and on top of it (top layer should be worked with heatgun to almost melting point to stick well to foam). This way you still have lighter car and practically no outside noise.
Old 03-21-03, 02:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive
That is exactly what I am saying. Those two products (foam and dynomat) are designed for absolutely different purposes. Dynomat prevent panel flexing by adding extra weight to it but does very little (comparing to foam) for reducing outside noise. Sound deadening and sound insulation are completely different and work best when combined. The best alternative that had been found so far is laying down some close cell foam, laying strips of RAAMmat under it and on top of it (top layer should be worked with heatgun to almost melting point to stick well to foam). This way you still have lighter car and practically no outside noise.
I've got about 80 sq-ft of RAAMmat in my garage as well as some sound-absorbant foam I saw you recommend about a year ago that I got from some sort of parts catalog website.

My question to you is: how do I make the foam stick to the RAMMmat? I tried some 3M adhesive without much luck... I even held it to the RAMMmat for 2-3 minutes.

Quick Reply: Just dynomated doors!