GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2004 Lexus GS-series

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03 | 11:18 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

I was at a dealership yesterday test driving the GX. I asked the salesman regarding the new GS. He said it won't be out til fall of 2004. I didn't feel he was very knowledgeable about the Lexus lineup, therefore I think he's full of $#&*! Anyway loved the GX. Gonna check out the RX 330 tonite.
Old 04-01-03 | 05:27 PM
WaGoNiSt
Rookie

The new design will come out late 04 as a 05 model. Lexus USA declined the intitial new design from Toyota which made the process go a year longer than expected.
Old 04-01-03 | 07:19 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Can we please not talk about any future Lexus models until we actually see official info from Lexus?

I mean there is a reason why spy pics and concrete info for future Lexus models doesn't exist, as Sick previously stated...
Old 04-01-03 | 08:06 PM
rukarims
Driver

Post ??

well...if people have been talking about it on tv. Why cant we talk about it? WE are just discussing what we heard. Is that against the law? So i believe we all have the right to talk about what we heard...

No hard feelings just telling u what i think......
Old 04-01-03 | 08:27 PM
Harrier330
Driver School Candidate

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???
Old 04-02-03 | 01:33 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Harrier330
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???
There are none.

rukarims, As far as I'm concerned, there is not much to discuss...We have no info, no pics...Speculation is waste of time when it comes to Toyota/Lexus.
Old 04-03-03 | 05:46 PM
kalimba
Driver School Candidate

Default Some of us want the pics...

Well, there are some of us who would like to see the pictures, if they exist. And I don't mean just because we're curious or want to have something to talk about at the office tomorrow.

I'm looking to buy my first Lexus GS, new, in the upcoming months and I'd like to make an informed decision as to whether I should buy now or wait until the end of the year, when the new model supposedly starts shipping. I'd really hate to be in the position of getting a 2003 next month, and then see the 2004 model in November (or whenever) and feel incredibly stupid for not waiting for the new model with all of its new bells and whistles.

Yeah, yeah, I know that some of you might say "Well, then you should just wait until the 2004 model ships." To that I say: What if I really don't like the changes to the 2004 model? Then I'll be scrambling to find a 2003 model in the right color combination before they're all gone. No thanks. Like I said, I'd prefer to make an informed decision.

I understand why Lexus (and all car companies, for that matter) want to keep secrets like this. They want potential customers who are looking to buy a vehicle to buy a vehicle they've already manufactured, rather than wait for the "latest" model. I completely see the thinking behind this. But, please, someone leak some photos and information for those of us who want to make an intelligent decision!

If anyone has information or pictures, please post. Thanks for listening. That is all.
Old 04-03-03 | 06:47 PM
titanskj10
Rookie

i heard that the gs will offe an 5.0L V8 engine. so will the gs name change to a gs 500 and the ls change to a ls 500. since thAT the new rx,es, is models will change to a 3.3L v6 changin it to a 330 model. well what i was askin will the gs name change to 430-500.?
Old 04-03-03 | 06:58 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb Re: Some of us want the pics...

Originally posted by kalimba
Well, there are some of us who would like to see the pictures, if they exist. And I don't mean just because we're curious or want to have something to talk about at the office tomorrow.

I'm looking to buy my first Lexus GS, new, in the upcoming months and I'd like to make an informed decision as to whether I should buy now or wait until the end of the year, when the new model supposedly starts shipping. I'd really hate to be in the position of getting a 2003 next month, and then see the 2004 model in November (or whenever) and feel incredibly stupid for not waiting for the new model with all of its new bells and whistles.

Yeah, yeah, I know that some of you might say "Well, then you should just wait until the 2004 model ships." To that I say: What if I really don't like the changes to the 2004 model? Then I'll be scrambling to find a 2003 model in the right color combination before they're all gone. No thanks. Like I said, I'd prefer to make an informed decision.

I understand why Lexus (and all car companies, for that matter) want to keep secrets like this. They want potential customers who are looking to buy a vehicle to buy a vehicle they've already manufactured, rather than wait for the "latest" model. I completely see the thinking behind this. But, please, someone leak some photos and information for those of us who want to make an intelligent decision!

If anyone has information or pictures, please post. Thanks for listening. That is all.
Don't get me wrong, I would like pics and info too, but we aren't that lucky.

You are in a particularly tricky situation. Lexus will try to sell all of their current models before new ones hit the lot. We'll be lucky if we get the info on the new GS a month before it arrives at the dealers.

Tough call for you...Either way, I don't think you can go wrong IMHO...
Old 04-03-03 | 08:03 PM
LexFather

With cars just get what you want when you want. Take the RX 330. In just 2 years, the hybid will be out. So instead of just buying a new RX 330, should we wait? So say we wait 2 years. Well the redesign is in just 3 more, should I wait again?

I bought my car about 1 month before GS 430 dealer deliveries. There was NO SPECULATION of a GS 430. Sure it offers ML and upgraded NAV but I am happy.

I know Lexus will offer more electronic goodies. Look at the 35-40k RX.
Leveling suspension
Swiviling headlights
Aluminum trim
More Wood
Rearview camera

Lexus has confirmed HYBRIDS are the way of the future. Look for the GS to be a smidge bigger with a longer wheelbase like the new E-class and 5 series. And you won't see a new GS until the 5 drops officially.

So no pics, sorry.
Old 04-04-03 | 11:06 AM
kalimba
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
With cars just get what you want when you want. Take the RX 330. In just 2 years, the hybid will be out. So instead of just buying a new RX 330, should we wait? So say we wait 2 years. Well the redesign is in just 3 more, should I wait again?
I see the point you're trying to make, but it's not a good analogy. If I buy today and three to five years down the line a new model is introduced, I think I can handle that. The more time that elapses between my purchase and the new model, the better.

I bought my car about 1 month before GS 430 dealer deliveries. There was NO SPECULATION of a GS 430. Sure it offers ML and upgraded NAV but I am happy.
I don't doubt that you are happy with your 400, but can you honsetly say that when you heard about the new 430, you didn't think "Crap! If I had only known what was around the corner."? That's the situation I'd like to avoid.

...And you won't see a new GS until the 5 drops officially.

So no pics, sorry.
Well, my wife works near the Toyota offices in Torrance (CA), so she's now on a covert mission to snap digi-pics of anything Lexus that's in the area that might resemble the next-gen GS. If I get the pics, I'll be sure to post 'em!
Old 04-05-03 | 10:08 AM
WaGoNiSt
Rookie

Kalimba-The new GS will not be a 04 model. It will be an 05 model coming out in 2004.

Why doesn't anyone believe me?
Old 04-05-03 | 11:15 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by kalimba

Well, my wife works near the Toyota offices in Torrance (CA), so she's now on a covert mission to snap digi-pics of anything Lexus that's in the area that might resemble the next-gen GS. If I get the pics, I'll be sure to post 'em!
You are the man!!!
Old 04-06-03 | 09:54 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I highly doubt they will be coming out with GS500. 4.3L engine is only 2, 3 years old, and I don't think it will change to 5.0L until 3, 4 years. With the intro of SC330, RX330, ES330, IS330 etc. (the .3L is a trend for Lexus) I'm pretty sure GS is going to remain 430. Sure MB has E500, but Lexus has always been a step behine anyways... sad but true. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-06-03 | 10:04 PM
LexFather

I highly doubt they will be coming out with GS500. 4.3L engine is only 2, 3 years old, and I don't think it will change to 5.0L until 3, 4 years. With the intro of SC330, RX330, ES330, IS330 etc. (the .3L is a trend for Lexus) I'm pretty sure GS is going to remain 430. Sure MB has E500, but Lexus has always been a step behine anyways... sad but true. Just my thoughts.
Who needs a 5.0 liter engine when our 4.0 let alone 4.3 made 300hp????Their 5.0 makes 302 hp, 2 measly HP more and the car is still not as swift as ours (though negligible).

Then, Mercedes has to turn to Forced Induction to get thier cars high HP levels. The V-12 750 makes what 430hp with no turbo or supercharger? Not like either way is a bad thing but it's a thought.

TTE has a supercharger 4.3 making 400hp easy as well. Funny thing is, Lexus has a 4.0 making 400hp in their Roadster concept WITHOUT any forced induction.

don't doubt that you are happy with your 400, but can you honsetly say that when you heard about the new 430, you didn't think "Crap! If I had only known what was around the corner."? That's the situation I'd like to avoid.
I feel you. But the 430 does not have E-shift, a very strong factor in the cars purchase for me.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus GS-series