GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Disaster Strikes - Tire debris damage to my bodykit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03 | 11:41 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Angry Disaster Strike!!!

I was on my way home about 1/2 hour ago on the 5 North doing about 80mph. I was just one exist away and there goes a piece of tire on the road. Yeah, just like what happen to MCGONG. However, I was surprised how the paint on the body kit hold up and it didn't even crack (maybe I did not check very closely since its really late now) but the whole front kit is "dislocated" on the driver side. I guess I need to go visit the shop MCGONG refer this week. Hopefully, I can get this thing done before my new wheels arrive.
Old 03-19-03 | 12:06 AM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

, damn that sucks! You have the Explosion kit? Is it fiberglass? I am curious to know how well fiberglass would stand up to something like a tire in the road, i wouldnt imagine to well
Old 03-19-03 | 12:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

oh no... that sux.... any pics of the damage, this hurts

yes it's fiber glass, but it holds up a lot better than the cheapo civic kits here coz' jdm fiber glass is much thicker and stronger
Old 03-19-03 | 03:11 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Yeah man post a pic of your kit!!!!!!
Old 03-19-03 | 08:00 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default Damage Report

Ok, had a chance this morning to closely inspect the damage. There was no crack (go figure, how could fiber glass stand that kind of impact) but just a minor paint chips. However, the fog light was push down (its aiming down instead of straight) but thank god is not broken, and there is obvious "GAP" right between the grill, the split between the light to the hood. I will take some pictures tonight. Now I need to PM mcgong for the bodyshop reference.
Old 03-19-03 | 12:50 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Damage Report

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
Ok, had a chance this morning to closely inspect the damage. There was no crack (go figure, how could fiber glass stand that kind of impact) but just a minor paint chips. However, the fog light was push down (its aiming down instead of straight) but thank god is not broken, and there is obvious "GAP" right between the grill, the split between the light to the hood. I will take some pictures tonight. Now I need to PM mcgong for the bodyshop reference.
I'm an auto body shop manager......bring ur car down, I'll be glad to help u

Last edited by ATSOU; 03-19-03 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-19-03 | 01:10 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

kenjitsou...you got a PM.
Old 03-19-03 | 01:41 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I know exactly how you feel. Are you going to put xpel on your kit this time around. i got my whole front end done for less that 200 dollars.
Old 03-19-03 | 01:44 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Yeah Mike, I will do the xpel this time for sure to avoid all the rock chips. By the way, can you give me more detail on the xpel via PM?

Oh, Kenjitsu you got a pm.. I probably will go down and have you give me an estimate.
Old 03-20-03 | 02:23 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I'm glad you posted this! See people, fiberglass doesn't necessarily "blow up" when it gets hit...and repair is relatively inexpensive and easy...

GSXOTIC - Sorry to hear about your mishap but it does sound minor! I wish they had a precut xpel kit for my front bumper...
Old 03-20-03 | 11:09 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Mark..........I pulled ur GS into the shop rite after u left, I let u cut in the waiting list cuz u are a CL member and u are also Taiwanese(plus I don't want my bodyman to work on the 4runner that he is working rite now cuz that customer sucks).....They are working on it rite now.....Don't worry I'll take good care on ur baby.
Old 03-20-03 | 12:17 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Hey Eric, thank you so much for doing that for me. I trust you will take good care of it. Thanks again. Well, I thought the damage was not bad but its really worse than I expected. The left fender was bent and the paint is peeling off. I already took some pictures and will post them tonight. I ran a couple estimate and thanks to Kenjitsou for giving me a discount. The shop I went quote me for 1100. By the way Mike (mcgong), I took the car to Joes' and he did not even want my business !! I told him that you just had your car done over there but he said he has no memory of doing a silver GS. Anyways, I am glad everything works out fine now. Hopefully the car will come out good.
Old 03-20-03 | 01:05 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

No problem Markie Just send your friends over if they need any help The discount I gave u is a big one....I haven't told my boss yet.....Wonder what's gonna happen when he finds out I'll have to take him to Korean Town drinking but I'm on DIET !!!!!! Anyway....thank u so much for the trust and business
Old 03-20-03 | 01:21 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Default sure...

Hey Eric, you know for sure I will refer people to you if the job is flawless. Just in the CL community, there is always people looking for a good body shop for any unpredictable event. Now we know there is a CL member that can hook us up in the LA area. Keep me update and like I said, I don't want to rush you to complete the job because I will prefer to wait a little bit longer for a quality job. By the way, is that your LS out side the shop? Its very nice. Can you check your pm.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 03-20-03 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-20-03 | 01:45 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Yea.....that's my 12 second LS400 (not quarter mile time.....0-60 time)

Quick Reply: Disaster Strikes - Tire debris damage to my bodykit!!!