GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Supra TT GS/Aristo in works!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-01, 07:57 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Martin Kraft is at it again!

He's tired of waiting for the RMM supercharger. I just got word from Bruce Nomura that Martin's car will be in his shop within the month for an engine swap; the Supra TT engine for the GS400 V8!

This I got to see. If Bruce tunes this setup like his other Supras, can you say 500-600 HP at the wheels??
Old 03-21-01, 08:17 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

That's is going to be one sweet car! Ops, it already is!
Old 03-21-01, 08:20 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Good to see.....I am getting lonely at the 500hp club....Hey that gives me an idea, why not set up a 400hp - 500hp - 600hp groups. When you get your car at the 400hp output you get listed with your modifications etc....

Old 03-22-01, 10:27 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Question

Can you guys please explain to me why would you want to give up the 2UZFE for the less reliable 2JZGTE? Why not just put a huge turbo on the V8? Is it just the fact of being unique? I am curious.....
Old 03-22-01, 11:37 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Davesaristo
Now Dave, I'm no expert on this subject but I've read a few posts about putting a turbo on the GS400's V8. From what I hear, there isn't much room to put on a turbo for the V8. A turbo would work for the GS300's 6. Lexus even has a turbo for the Aristo in Japan!! A supercharger is a better fit and configuration for the big V8. I also think, due to the fact that turbo's have to spool up, it isn't quite as quick as a supercharger?!?! Although, I'm probably completely wrong, I'm just relaying some of the information I"ve stumbled upon on this board!!....

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 03-22-01, 11:42 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by davezaristo
Can you guys please explain to me why would you want to give up the 2UZFE for the less reliable 2JZGTE? Why not just put a huge turbo on the V8? Is it just the fact of being unique? I am curious.....
Dave,

IMO, it's the tunability of the 2JZGTE motor. We all know the potential of the engine. Since it's already turboed, modification is easier if you want to upgrade your turbos, or go from sequential to synchronize, etc. Also, there are tons of aftermarket kits and parts for this engine. As I stated before, Martin is tired of waiting for a supercharger. We have seen and heard of many companies wanting to make this supercharger; RMM, UPRD, TRD, etc., even the new Swift kit is not out yet, but currently nothing is available on the market. As for a big turbo on the V8, it's not simple. Room is limited in the engine bay and there is also no kit available. As far as I know, there's has only been a one-off for the V8 engine. See the Turbo mag article on MechTech's TT SC400 at
http://www.mechtech-ms.com/indexmagart.html. That was a $20K affair and the result HP, though great, doesn't beat the numbers capable from the Supra TT's.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with the reliability of the 2JZGTE. Can someone comment?
Old 03-22-01, 12:41 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

I've been running the 1UZ-FE with 7-10psi boost at stock compression 10:5.1 for over 1 1/2 years with no problem.

Seems reliable to me...
Old 03-22-01, 01:04 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by QBranchCars

Dave,

IMO, it's the tunability of the 2JZGTE motor. We all know the potential of the engine. Since it's already turboed, modification is easier if you want to upgrade your turbos, or go from sequential to synchronize, etc. Also, there are tons of aftermarket kits and parts for this engine. As I stated before, Martin is tired of waiting for a supercharger. We have seen and heard of many companies wanting to make this supercharger; RMM, UPRD, TRD, etc., even the new Swift kit is not out yet, but currently nothing is available on the market. As for a big turbo on the V8, it's not simple. Room is limited in the engine bay and there is also no kit available. As far as I know, there's has only been a one-off for the V8 engine. See the Turbo mag article on MechTech's TT SC400 at
http://www.mechtech-ms.com/indexmagart.html. That was a $20K affair and the result HP, though great, doesn't beat the numbers capable from the Supra TT's.

It is very true about the tunability. A few engines in JDM now are very easier tuned with alot of potential, including Nissan's RB26DETT, SR20DET, Toyota's 2JZ-GTE, 3S-GTE, and Mazda's 13B. (Just talking about turbo engines there.), and among those, only the RB and 2JZ go to the max, with the potential of going over 1000ps. (Unless you include those racing 3S-GTE).
Old 03-22-01, 01:57 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default contact Bruce

Does anyone have the contact information for Nomura Tuning and Design? I tried his website and there is only email info. I tried 411 but not listed.

BTW, I have never heard of a reliability issue with the 2JZ-GTE. I know that the 7ME-GTE blows its head gasket down the line, but never the 2JZ-GTE.
Old 03-22-01, 02:46 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: contact Bruce

Originally posted by v300
Does anyone have the contact information for Nomura Tuning and Design? I tried his website and there is only email info. I tried 411 but not listed.

BTW, I have never heard of a reliability issue with the 2JZ-GTE. I know that the 7ME-GTE blows its head gasket down the line, but never the 2JZ-GTE.
Nomura Tuning and Design
209-830-6070
7540 West Carmelo Ave
Tracy, CA 95304
Old 03-22-01, 03:42 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Changing to the Supra TT engine will definitely create the potential for HUGE power. The TT SC400 from Mechtech is nice but uses little turbos. The Supra transplant is going to be every bit as expensive though. Engine, tranny, ecu, components, bracketry fabrication and electronics rewiring. Not a project for a beginner. A properly turbocharged V8 with good pistons would have NO problem making 800hp. With good pistons, rods and crank 1000+hp is very doable. Of course at those levels it becomes hard to keep it streetable. Ultimate power potential (heavily modified) goes to the V8, it does have 33% MORE displacement than the Supra engine.
Old 03-22-01, 04:13 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

didnt somebody ask about doing the 2jz-gte transplant on a gs300 and a lot of people said itd be a rewiring nightmare? so how is it different if martin kraft wants to do it to a gs4? wouldnt it also be a rewiring nightmare and because of the engine computer, would u lose a lot of comfort functions?
Old 03-22-01, 08:41 PM
LexusPilot

Question I thought someone did this to a GS300 already

I thought someone took a GS3 to Toyomoto or something(It was on the old board). Why would you use a GS400? It just cost more than a GS300. Anything I am missing?
Old 03-22-01, 10:41 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I am not saying that the 2jzgte isn't reliable...but it isn't as reliable as the 1uzfe. Actually, the reliability issue came to me from TRD and car dealers in HK. I was there a few weeks ago and i was curious about how the "real" Aristo looks like. So I was browsing the car dealerships and talked to few people and they all agree that they would prefer the 2jzge over the 2jzgte (of course not speed wise). Talking about the engine swapping issue, would it be cheaper to import a Aristo V300 and change it to left handed drive config than doing the swap?
Old 03-22-01, 10:46 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

I strongly agree with jbrady....

Here is my 2 cents....

First, why would you want to swap the V8 for the inline6? Just get a GS300 and do it. Or import yourself a Japanese V300 TT. Also, I think that swapping the GS4 V8 will be just as expensive as the conversion of the GS3 V6.

Martin is tired of waiting for a supercharger? For the type of money he will spend on this conversion, he could very well TT the V8 or get Mo to custom develop a 10sec GS, which I KNOW Mo is capable of doing.....I don't want to give anything away... Imagine being the first one to have an V8TT. I personally think that he would be able to get 1000rwhp+ with this setup. His car would be a monster on the drag strip as well on the street. Hmmm....What would I give for HKS twins on my V8 and 1000rwhp along with the E-shift to play with.....Anyhow, let me get back to reality....

There's nothing impossible....it just takes the right amount of $$$

I'm sort of dissapointed in his decision. But, it's his decision after all.....

Quick Reply: Supra TT GS/Aristo in works!