GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Am I crazy for wanting a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 07:56 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Bought my car in 2011 and I'm beyond bored with it. It's a great car, highly reliable and I will drive mine until the wheels fall off, but I want a monster now. I'm looking to purchase the Maserati GranTurismo 4.7 or Benz S550 coupe or CL63 AMG. I want something fast, powerful, and a head turner. Heck the Bentley Continental are in my price range now. My GS will be my work/commuter...now I want a nice weekend vehicle.
Thats because you sir bought a GS300..

I don't have to educate those who own the GS400/430's
Old 06-05-15, 08:09 AM
nellieson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

Thanks, DM! Good advice and much appreciated.
Old 06-05-15, 12:42 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4

I should've realized that by his name. Your right ! How dare you get a gs3 and talk crap about it as if it's in the same boat as a GS4. For you to shame the GS and compare it to a car way out its league is stupid. The v8 GS is a whole other car, IMO it makes the gs3 feel like a cheap ricer Honda. I got bored of the gs3 in under a year. I have had my gs430 for 3-4 years and it still makes me smile everytime I drive it and I look forward to driving it each day! The v8 whether gs4 or gs430 feels like a solid, heavy and reliable car that actually feels like your driving a true luxury car. It just never gets boring unless you want a BMW type of handling. When you drive the gs3 it just feels like a Honda or cheaper car compared to the v8. I've had a gs3, gs4 and gs430 so I'm not biased to what I have now I have owned them all. The gs4 is better in some ways then the 430 but the 430 is pure luxury for the money you can't get a better ride!

Last edited by DMPesso; 06-05-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-06-15, 06:19 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've thoroughly enjoyed my GS and is my favorite of the bunch. I've owned a Ls430, Ls460, 350z (07-08 was hr motor), s2000, and sc300.

I find my gs300 the most comfortable and a really nice blend of "sport" and sedan. It's reliable and parts are fairly cheap for a luxury car. I think it holds up well compared to more modern cars as far as ride quality and cabin noise.

I do have it modded w a GTE swap, but was perfectly happy with it prior. Only thing lacking is the technology. Having to use my tape player adapter is gangster for only so long.

Now I have never driven a m5, e55, or isf but I'm sure I'd still be content with my GS
Old 06-10-15, 12:34 PM
spencetimm
Driver School Candidate

Default How many miles is too many for a GS430?

I am looking at replacing my Subaru Outback (mostly in pursuit of better build quality and fewer problems) with a Lexus or Toyota. My budget is around $8,000 (#college) and so this limits it somewhat. I found a used 2001 GS430 on Craigslist for $6,300. It has 165,000 miles but seems clean and well taken care of. The timing belt has been done of course and any other needed maintenance. I also live in the Pacific Northwest, and cross a mountain pass 8-10 times a winter. Do these do okay in the snow? Of course I will get snow tires and I am comfortable driving in snow, I have just always had AWD. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-10-15, 02:35 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

They're "OK" at best in the snow... a real butt cheek clincher the majority of the time.
Old 06-10-15, 02:53 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4

Yeah because 300hp...well more like 260hp at the wheel....is something to brag about in 2015. I'm talking about purchasing cars thats well over 500hp and you're talking about 260hp. Man stop.
Old 06-10-15, 03:05 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I should've realized that by his name. Your right ! How dare you get a gs3 and talk crap about it as if it's in the same boat as a GS4. For you to shame the GS and compare it to a car way out its league is stupid. The v8 GS is a whole other car, IMO it makes the gs3 feel like a cheap ricer Honda. I got bored of the gs3 in under a year. I have had my gs430 for 3-4 years and it still makes me smile everytime I drive it and I look forward to driving it each day! The v8 whether gs4 or gs430 feels like a solid, heavy and reliable car that actually feels like your driving a true luxury car. It just never gets boring unless you want a BMW type of handling. When you drive the gs3 it just feels like a Honda or cheaper car compared to the v8. I've had a gs3, gs4 and gs430 so I'm not biased to what I have now I have owned them all. The gs4 is better in some ways then the 430 but the 430 is pure luxury for the money you can't get a better ride!
Are you high, or just this stupid at all times!?! I never compared the GS3 to the GS4! Boy people can really show their ignorance quickly! Btw, my suped 96 impala that is worth and cherished more than your GS4/430 is the true muscle I need...and your GS4 doesn't want any part of it. I bought the GS3 because I got a good deal and I've always loved this body style, not for HP...duh!! I'm bored of the body style, bored of the new ricer/younger board members here (see why some of the older guys don't post anymore, due to stupidity post as this)...just bored of the 2nd Gen completely. I'm going to keep it because its reliable and it will be my DD, but I'm looking to upgrade into a true luxury vehicle that has a lot of hp from the factory. I hope that was simple enough for even you to understand. So i say that I want to upgrade to another vehicle, THIS guy takes that as I'm comparing my car to the GS4 smh. Time to go back to hiatus on this part of the forum again.

And btw smart guy, the difference in crub weight between the GS3 and GS4 is ~60 lbs. So your heavy car statement which equates to true luxury has NO validity dude.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 06-10-15 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 03:44 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

You clearly dont understand ENGLISH. I never once said you compared the GS3 to the GS4. I SAID YOUR COMPARING THE GS3 TO CARS WAY OUT OF ITS LEAGUE AND MAYBE YOU WOULD HAVE APPRECIATED YOUR GS MORE IF YOU HAD THE V8 as most people get bored with the GS3 (not turbo) and not the GS4. Each message you send clearly displays more of your PATHETIC insecurities and sheer ignorance as its clear you have a need to brag about which cars you can afford or are "looking to purchase" to feel good about yourself. Is this the should I buy a GS or a car worth 10 times its value thread? I dont think so... I highly doubt anyone in this thread gives a **** about you looking to purchase one of those cars. I didnt buy the GS to race and I can care less about your POS impala. Only a HERB like you would go this hard and make it a competition. All that was said is that maybe you would have been happier with the GS if you had the V8 since the V8 is a monster in its own rights FOR THE PRICE AND YEAR IT WAS MADE! NO ONE BUYS THE GS TO "BRAG ABOUT ITS HP IN 2015".

"And btw smart guy, the difference in crub weight between the GS3 and GS4 is ~60 lbs. So your heavy car statement which equates to true luxury has NO validity dude."

^^This is one of the most ignorant and dumb comments I have ever seen in my life. You truly dont understand english and the POINT I was making. I didnt say the GS is more of a luxurious car BECAUSE its heavier. REALLY? That doesnt even make sense! I SAID it FEELS heavier and MORE LUXURIOUS because of the V8, which makes it feel like a DIFFERENT CAR. READ AND COMPREHEND!

Are you high, or just this stupid at all times!?! I never compared the GS3 to the GS4! Boy people can really show their ignorance quickly! Btw, my suped 96 impala that is worth and cherished more than your GS4/430 is the true muscle I need...and your GS4 doesn't want any part of it. I bought the GS3 because I got a good deal and I've always loved this body style, not for HP...duh!! I'm bored of the body style, bored of the new ricer/younger board members here (see why some of the older guys don't post anymore, due to stupidity post as this)...just bored of the 2nd Gen completely. I'm going to keep it because its reliable and it will be my DD, but I'm looking to upgrade into a true luxury vehicle that has a lot of hp from the factory. I hope that was simple enough for even you to understand. So i say that I want to upgrade to another vehicle, THIS guy takes that as I'm comparing my car to the GS4 smh. Time to go back to hiatus on this part of the forum again.

And btw smart guy, the difference in crub weight between the GS3 and GS4 is ~60 lbs. So your heavy car statement which equates to true luxury has NO validity dude.

Last edited by DMPesso; 06-10-15 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 03:47 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Yeah because 300hp...well more like 260hp at the wheel....is something to brag about in 2015. I'm talking about purchasing cars thats well over 500hp and you're talking about 260hp. Man stop.
I swear each comment you make, you sound more stupid. WHO BUYS A 15 YEAR OLD CAR TO BRAG ABOUT ITS HORSEPOWER IN 2015. NO ONE BUYS THE GS FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS, UNLESS RELIABILITY IS THE BRAGGING RIGHT! He is saying your clearly craving more power because you have the V6, while owning an impala. Obviously the GS will be boring if you drive a fast car like an impala.
Old 06-10-15, 03:51 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

THIS guy takes that as I'm comparing my car to the GS4 smh.
I would LOVE to see how many people agree that I did not ONCE say you compared the GS3 to the GS4 to just prove how ignorant you are. I SAID for the 10th time that you compared the GS3 to a car WAY out of its league (Maserati/Bentley). I was the one comparing the GS3 to the GS4 to show you might have been happier with the V8, its pretty obvious. Go back to ESL buddy!

Last edited by DMPesso; 06-10-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 07:19 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 0-60: 7.2 Quarter Mile: 15.4
1998 Lexus GS 300 0-60: 7.5 Quarter Mile: 15.5
1997 Lexus LS 400 0-60: 6.9 Quarter Mile: 15.0

I'm sure your "suped up" Imp is faster than a stock SS but so is a turbo'd GS300. Stock, neither one is really that special.

I do agree that there are days when I am bored with the body lines of my GS. And then there are days when I love it. Getting bored with things is human nature and not exclusive to the 2GS.
Old 06-10-15, 09:52 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 0-60: 7.2 Quarter Mile: 15.4
1998 Lexus GS 300 0-60: 7.5 Quarter Mile: 15.5
1997 Lexus LS 400 0-60: 6.9 Quarter Mile: 15.0

I'm sure your "suped up" Imp is faster than a stock SS but so is a turbo'd GS300. Stock, neither one is really that special.

I do agree that there are days when I am bored with the body lines of my GS. And then there are days when I love it. Getting bored with things is human nature and not exclusive to the 2GS.
But you have to remember the SS stock engine was designed prior to 1994 and was used for the 94-96 models. And then it's much heavier than the 2nd Gen GS, so your numbers are correct based on logic. It was great for the technology then (pre 94-96). I did the LS3 swap, never really considered doing the swap in the GS since its my DD. The money tied into doing a high output swap on the GS doesn't correlate to overall increased in value on the open market (outside of small GS fan base). It's always about the bottom line with me lol. My SS has been in my family since new, so she is my true love; American roar! Also it doesn't hurt that the 96 holds its value due to the huge enthusiasts.

I echo your sentiment about the GS. I stared at it today in the garage and thought to myself, maybe I'll do some subtle mods (lower, bbk, body kit, staggered 20's) but decided keep it as is. Just don't have the will to drop money in mods for an outdated old design. I'm afraid to lower because that raises the risk of me being stranded or killed due to extra stress on lbj's. I take pride because my car is very clean... hell I resprayed the bumper and hood so the front is flawless. Now I'm about to buy new oem lens for my retro, then the front will truly be flawless. I really like when people come up to me and tell me how good my car looks because I never see any 2nd gen that's in good condition in my area.

Now it's time for me to purchase something really nice. This will be a treat to myself. My friend just purchased a RR Ghost and boy did that accelerate my thirst for a luxury beast after riding in it!
Old 06-10-15, 10:22 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I would LOVE to see how many people agree that I did not ONCE say you compared the GS3 to the GS4 to just prove how ignorant you are. I SAID for the 10th time that you compared the GS3 to a car WAY out of its league (Maserati/Bentley). I was the one comparing the GS3 to the GS4 to show you might have been happier with the V8, its pretty obvious. Go back to ESL buddy!
I didn't even take the time to read your prior response because I'm sure it would be a waste of time. But I will PayPal you $20 if you can find in my original post where I'm comparing the GS performance to a Bentley/Maserati. Stevie Wonder can see that's a no brainer dude! Now what I did say is that I love my GS, but I'm bored with it and WANT SOMETHING ELSE! I stated that I want a very nice weekend car and my GS will continue to be my DD. Somehow you took me saying the vehicles that I would like purchase in addition to my GS meant that I'm comparing the performance of the two?? That's beyond silly. And then you went on a WW3 raging rant about GS3 vs GS4... when I never mentioned GS4 in my original post. Let's set the record straight, your GS430 is nothing special, along with the GS3 in this day of age. This isn't hate or jealousy, it's fact outside of this forum. Most GS4/3 I see in my area are busted, looks like its been through 6 owners at least, looking like the ricer Hondas you despise lol. I occasionally see nice 430's and I think that's due to how rare they are. It goes without saying the GS4 performs better due to simple logic but both models can be purchased for dirt cheap now. The value will continue to go down due to the genre of people who are able to afford them. As I stated earlier, I purchased my GS due to the love I've always had for this body style, not performance. This will be my last post on this particular subject. Not going to go back/forth on this.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 06-11-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 10:35 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now it's time for me to purchase something really nice. This will be a treat to myself. My friend just purchased a RR Ghost and boy did that accelerate my thirst for a luxury beast after riding in it!
I get where you're coming from. "New" always makes us feel good whether it's new shoes and especially a new ride! Being a long time owner, you were expressing boredom with the 2GS and I think some people took exception to what was perceived as speaking negatively about the car in general.

Overall, everyone had valid points. The 400/430's having a markedly more powerful feel over the 300's. Stock, the design looks good but can be a tad bit on the "dated" side. Modified, I think they look gorgeous and I get compliments everywhere. BUT, the 2GS is a heavy car that, compared to modern sedans, isn't that powerful. There's newer Camry's and Altima's that have comparable 0-60 times. Handling is so-so until you upgrade it.

That being said, I would always recommend these cars to anyone looking for a moderately powerful and moderately luxurious, reliable car. AND to someone that is willing to care for these cars the way they deserve because I see a lot of examples driving around that aren't taken care of. The well maintained 2GS are getting fewer and fewer in numbers..

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a GS?