GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Radio cuts out every time I brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 04:56 PM
llllee4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio cuts out every time I brake

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've lurked or posted.

What I have:

98 GS400, 225k miles, second owner for the past 10 years.

This happened before where my radio would go out whenever I braked. Thought it was a battery problem, so I replaced my battery, it was time for a new one. Worked!

A few days later, my car was dead, noticed that the red terminal was corroded and so replaced the red terminal clamp, worked like a charm.

A month later, noticed that the red terminal was not securely in the clamp, so car drove, but the moment I parked, then sometime later tried to drive, it was absolutely dead. So, securely inserted the red terminal in the clamp.

Now...

Today, every time I braked, my stereo (CD and radio) would cut out for a split second and then would come back on. My dashboard was fine.

Can someone please advise me what I should do? I've googled this question and it has led me to this wonderful forum!
Old 05-22-15, 05:41 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like when you hit the brakes the voltage drops just enough to cut out the radio for a second. Have you gotten an alternator test? Maybe your alternator is slowly on it's way out and cant keep up with the demand.

You can test this with a multimeter: Find an empty fuse and put your multimeter on it. Watch the voltage as you hit the brakes. It shouldn't dip below 12v.

I recently had a problem with my accessory belt that caused the alternator to stop charging. When the car is dying the very first accessory to stop is the radio, then the ABS, then the dashboard lighting cuts out.

Last edited by justim; 05-22-15 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 10:33 AM
llllee4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After posting here, I had to go run an errand, and as you can imagine my ABS lights came on my dashboard until I got to my destination. Radio still cutting out. When I turned my car back on to leave, no lights or radio cutting out occurred.

Weird.

So, this problem will come and go.

Sounds like my car is going down the same road as you justim.

Now, time to google what an accessory belt is and what a multimeter is...

Thank you for your help. I will update!

If anyone else has any other thoughts, please feel free to add thank you! case is not closed!