GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Brakes pop after tie rods changed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 04:29 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Brakes pop after tie rods changed?

I just replaced the inner and outer tie rods with moogs and all was good at first now I am Hearing a popping/clicking sound that I heard a long time ago from the brakes when the clips or rotor pins were bad. Now my question is, when the mechanic changed my inner and outer tie rods do the brake rotors or pads have to come off? I was thinking they don't and it's a mere coincidence but this has happened many times before when someone who doesn't regularly work on a GS puts the brakes back on I would hear a clicking or popping.
Old 06-01-15, 04:51 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Naw, no need to remove them.
Old 06-01-15, 10:07 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I swear, every time my car gets lifted off the ground for one thing, it's got a new thing when it comes back down. I'm gonna say lower ball-joints? Sounds crazy, but never hurts to check.
Old 06-02-15, 06:00 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arcadian
I swear, every time my car gets lifted off the ground for one thing, it's got a new thing when it comes back down. I'm gonna say lower ball-joints? Sounds crazy, but never hurts to check.
It's so funny because that's EXACTLY how I feel and it's starting to annoy the hell out of
me as much as I love my car. I just deal with it by telling myself at least you don't have a BMW and MB and never got left stranded or having to replace anything major. I mean is it really possible for my ball joints which have under 20k on them to fail right after replacing my tie rods? I don't know how this happened, when I was parked at costco yesterday I was just turning the wheel back and forth to hear the popping sound and now you can hear a creaking sound as well but it went away after a few turns I gotta try again today. Wtf!
Old 06-02-15, 07:03 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

My car started doing the same thing after an alignment, I had to replace my upper control arm. Car was silent for a few days, now there's an intermittent creaking when I apply the brakes. I'm not looking into it as if this car causes me one more issue, it's gone. I've also replaced everything on the front end, and I mean everything on the front end before 110k miles, and I've owned the car since 55k miles and they've been easy miles
Old 06-02-15, 09:26 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i had the clicking and popping noise after replacing my LBJ and tie rod. Once i got an alignment, the problem was gone. It could be anything.
Old 06-03-15, 07:05 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maxx430
i had the clicking and popping noise after replacing my LBJ and tie rod. Once i got an alignment, the problem was gone. It could be anything.
You know something I was thinking that something isn't aligned right and causes the popping because it was fine originally and I only noticed this after I went back to correct the poor alignment job which actually (if you read my other thread) turned into an argument with the guy and he ended up making my camber and toe almost negative just to make the caster positive. Then a week later he got into an argument with one of the other mechanics and they fired him so that says a lot about who did my alignment. I'm thinking the almost negative camber is adding some pressure causing the popping and clicking. I will go get the alignment at the most reputable place in my area and will report back. I hope that will fix it
Old 06-04-15, 11:31 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I've replace the tierods and balljoints with Moog on my Gs400 and GS430. Make sure they are greased thoroughly and get a proper alignment. Also make sure the ball joing nut is tight. Sometimes the cotter pin moves around and rubs during braking or going over a dip/pothole in the road
Old 06-04-15, 11:48 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

You sure the tie rods need to be greased? I thought they came ready to go... I didn't replace my ball joints only tie rods. Ball joints were done a year or two ago with OEM. But I am gonna try to get another alignment I think that might help as I mainly noticed this after the ****ty alignment for some reason