GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

spoiler brake light repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 06:08 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoiler brake light repair

The driver's side portion of my spoiler brake light stopped working after I blacked out and re-installed my rear-deck brake light this past weekend. This "fault" has illuminated the brake bulb warning light on the dash.

To troubleshoot, I confirmed that all lights on the rear-deck brake light are still working so I wouldn't think it was a wiring / wiring harness problem.

1. Is this a coincidence or could I have screwed something up to cause the left side to go out on the spoiler brake light? All I did was uplug / tape exterior / re-plug the wiring harness on the rear deck brake light.

2. What tools are required and what is the proper procedure to remove / access the spoiler brake light?

3. Are the lights in the spoiler brake light serviceable? Are they individual push-in style bulbs (i.e. 194, etc.) or are they individual LED's?

I performed a search on this subject but couldn't find any detailed answers to these questions.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-04-03, 05:43 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Oddly enough, my dash brake warning light stopped going off a couple days after I blacked-out up the deck mounted third brake light. However, the driver's side of the spoiler brake light was still not working. Last night, I noticed that the electrical tape had "shrunk" from the heat and the ends of the deck mounted brake light lens were exposed and visible when the brakes were applied. I removed the deck mounted brake light and re-taped to cover the exposed edges. After I re-installed the deck mounted brake light, the dash mounted third brake light came on again...lol.

SO....this leads me to believe the mechanism for the dash mounted brake warning lamp to illuminate is some type of sensor that measures light off of the deck mounted brake housing.

Regardless, my spoiler brake lamp is still not working on the driver's side. I'm still waiting on some input here. Anyone?

Last edited by tomtnc; 04-04-03 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 08:24 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Tom, are you refering to the spoiler light or the rear deck brake light? which one?

the rear deck light is bulb type 194 (2 set, 3/2 bulbs, the spoiler is LED (single row)

I am guessing you are talking about the rear deck brake light? it;s current sensing, depend on the current drawing of the light, the WRN light comes on or off.

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-04-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 08:26 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

My rear deck brake light works fine. As soon as I blacked it out, the dash brake warning lamp came on and in the process of troubleshooting noticed that half (driver's side) of the spoiler LED's were not working.

A couple days after I blacked out the deck brake light, the brake warning lamp stopped lighting up. I went around the back to see if the spoiler brake light was working again, but it wasn't. However, the electrical tape used to black out the deck brake light had shrunk from the heat and exposed the edges so you could see the deck brake light again in these locations.

After I re-taped the deck brake light, the brake warning lamp came on again....lol.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by tomtnc; 04-04-03 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 10:02 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Tom, you tape the light itself or the lense outside? if you tape the light itself,it will melt the tape, also increase the current draw (heat) , that may explained why the dash light come OFF, since your spoiler light is not working.
the rear deck light draw more current due to the tape. helping the LED brakelight.

Instruction on how to tape the lense is on my website, don't tape the bulb itself.

from what I can see, at least with my spoiler, only 1 power source, so if only half LED works, then the problem is in within the LED spoiler light, not outside.

Anh
Old 04-04-03, 10:04 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

I taped the outside of the deck brake light lens, not the bulbs. I couldn't find the instructions on your web site but this is the way that DaveGS4 and Dex had theirs, so I did mine in the same manner as you have suggested.

The brake warning lamp was on during the trip to work this morning. At lunch time, it was off. Something strange is going on here I wish I knew what it was. I didn't have anyone with me at lunch so I couldn't see whether the spoiler brake light was fully illuminated or not.

Last edited by tomtnc; 04-04-03 at 10:12 AM.