GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why I won't run a K&N or other oil wetted filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 01:45 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Under typical conditions, 30k is very reasonable. If you live in dusty conditions, sooner, if very clear areas, you might even go longer. But 30k on a $20 filter is cheap.

I inspect my filter periodically and knock the heavy dirt out if any and vacuum out the air box and then pull the MAF for inspection for dirt. I have never needed to clean the MAF in my GS yet (244k miles as of today!) I bought my GS with 138k.

I feel always worth a periodic inspection, each oil change is good. You don't know if a spider got in or mouse crawled up there and started eating the filter. Id rather know....

Originally Posted by chazman6
According to my RX maintenance schedule, an air filter change is not mandated until 36 months or 30K miles
with normal driving conditions.

Is it really worth the effort to take apart and check before those guidelines ?
Old 08-25-15, 08:53 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Under typical conditions, 30k is very reasonable. If you live in dusty conditions, sooner, if very clear areas, you might even go longer. But 30k on a $20 filter is cheap.

I inspect my filter periodically and knock the heavy dirt out if any and vacuum out the air box and then pull the MAF for inspection for dirt. I have never needed to clean the MAF in my GS yet (244k miles as of today!) I bought my GS with 138k.

I feel always worth a periodic inspection, each oil change is good. You don't know if a spider got in or mouse crawled up there and started eating the filter. Id rather know....
the maf is designed to self clean so it shouldn't need cleaning under normal non-mod circumstances
Old 08-25-15, 01:42 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

GM used to do a Burn Off mode to heat up the MAF element to burn anything on it. Which is why oil was not healthy for it.

Mine has been spotless since I got the car, I haven't needed to clean it yet...

Glad to know it self cleans!

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
the maf is designed to self clean so it shouldn't need cleaning under normal non-mod circumstances
Old 09-19-15, 07:58 AM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automotive misconceptions.

Hello all. New guy here, long time automotive tech. and just wanted to clear a few things up for you guys. First off, K &N filter oil is NOT harmful for your MAF sensor. In fact, you can dunk your MAF sensor in the oil and it will continue to function correctly. This is not an assumption, I have done this.

The biggest problem with K&N filters are...... are you ready?.........the user. Most people do not properly clean and oil the filter. That is where most problems stem from. Just like anything, proper care and maintenance are key. I will agree, however, that cleaning an air filter is a PITA notion. Buy cheap ones and change them frequently.

Second, MAF sensors do not clean themselves. Gm's 'burn off mode' as you call it failed miserably and left burnt debris on the elements and caused issues. Clean them every time you change your air filter using a specified MAF cleaner.

If you've never cleaned your MAF in 244k miles, I'd love to see your fuel trims, lol. Clean it, you'll notice a difference.