GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hi, New here but need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 01:12 AM
GZero604
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile New here but need some help

GS 400 or 540i?

Last edited by GZero604; 10-29-16 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-03-03, 01:55 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in a nutshell:

I would say the GS is a 5 series with less problems and less handling power. As for automatics, usually GS400/430 can beat 540i autos. 540i manuals are about 50/50 compared with GS400/430s, so either way they'll both be fast.

Service/quality/reliability, no doubt GS has the edge. Maintainance is a problem in BMWs.

Why are you considering the Maxima along with the 5 and GS? The only advantage I can think of is price. 2004 Maximas are ugly!!! (the previous previous maxima (95~99?) are the best maximas I think. Then it started going downhill from there

GS has much better interior design than the 5 series. But some people do prefer the 5-series interior for the many many buttons and red gauge.

It's really up to you. If you go test-drive, you'll probably like 540 alot because of its handling. However you can't testdrive a car's reliability.

I'm also 21
Old 04-03-03, 01:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well it's a comparion between 540i and gs400, so it's the right forum. i will try to run some points (good and bad) about both cars. just brainstorming here so they are all mixed together

540i
- handling when stock is already awesome. i know you won't get sport coz' its 6 speed but just the 540i would be very nice already
- mods for bimmers are a lot more expensive. you still have quite a few choices to choose from but they all comes in high price tag.
- if you only plan to keep your car for 3 to 4 yrs then it's fine coz' all maintenance and defects are covered under warranty. even oil change is free. after warranty though, bimmer is famous for little problems (electronic) here and there, and that's very costly
- just make sure you can bare with the bad customer service at bimmer in general
- it's a very solid car, once you sit in it you will feel it's very strong, solid

gs400
- it's a much more refined car, totally different from 540 from a design point of view imho. 540i is more of a driver car, gs400 is more of a luxury balanced sport sedan
- it's a lot more quieter than the 540i
- handling stock is horrible. yes, i would use horrible to describe the handling of stock gs400. but with mods it can run with m5
- mods are usually cheaper, and there are still tons of selection for you to choose from.
- customer service from lexus is top notch, no doubt about it. you will have to pay for stuff other than warranty, but maintenance cost would be a lot lower. if you want to keep your car for a long time, lexus is a better route
Old 04-03-03, 01:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn you guys are sick! age 21 and you guys have so much money for cars already! damn.... i am still struggling

anyway, yeah, why even consider the new maxima...... it's not even in the same league.... if you like the sunroof on the new max, then i would choose the new e class over it any time. and to me, these cars are SEDAN, so please 5 people..... the bucket seat design in the max is very funny..... why would i consider the max if i want bucket seats... personally i want a sport sedan
Old 04-03-03, 07:26 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
damn you guys are sick! age 21 and you guys have so much money for cars already! damn.... i am still struggling
You're right Rominl ! hahahaha You guys are reallly sick! All the headturns to you! 21 and making it good here! I'm 27, and yes still struggling hehehehe! Keep it up whatever you're doing, cuz' you're doing it right!

Best to you 21's
Old 04-03-03, 07:42 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Hi, New here but need some help

Originally posted by Snoop Monk
I already ruled out the 2004 Maxima cause it's front wheel drive but the optional rear bucket seats and sky view sunroof keeps it on my list. I also heard rumors that there might be an AWD version coming out later on since this car is built on the same platform as the Murano. But I can't wait that long. And I also owned a 95 Maxima SE till about 3 days ago when I sold it. I loved that car and was gonna keep it as a beater but I got an offer that I couldn't refused for it. That's why this car is still on my list.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but where better else is there to hear about the GS400 than in the GS forum? Thanks
One more thing, whatever you do, NO MAXIMA! I hate their new look! It looks like the Altima with bigger engine and different interior, plus the tail is so ugly. I did intent to buy the new maxima or the altima last year when I was car shopping, 5Series was on the list also but that idea was ridded quickly after I found out how my boy in MD had to pay tons for his new AC Controler, new Radio given that his 540 was just a year old! AC Controler Broke ????? That's just b/s! ONE more reason, call me a Political Freak, but German car and French car are not so high on top of my list! Why did I call Nissan a French's car? Renault and Nissan were merged back in March 1999. Read onAlliance on the move Nissan is slipping away with their design, especially with the Maxima, their flagship prize!

540 or this beautiful GS400! Note to self: Get the Nav. Sys for the next car you buy!
Old 04-03-03, 07:43 AM
NYC Max
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big Maxima fan, just drove the 2K4 SE 6 Speed yesterday with 18" Rims and what I thought was the panaramic roof. The way it actually works is all of them come standard with the see through roof but IT DOES NOT open or tilt at all. I have to say they really tried to hard to improve the car, but I cant really say they did a nice job. Overall the loaded 2K2-2K3 is still what I would pick. The only area the 2K4 might slightly be better, is overall looks, but the grille is just hideous. The 6 Speed is a bit smoother, but overall a very deep clutch and gearbox feel seems much less sporty. The interior just didnt sit right with me either. Not very impressed at all so far.

As for the 540IS and GS400, I had to make the same choice two months ago, for me the E430 Sport was in there too. I went with the GS cause I was used to Japanese bulletproof reliability and because the GS was the performance benchmark back when these cars all came out. I do have a few minor issues with my GS, but its just so much more attractive than any stock 97-99 540I or 97-99 E430 I've seen. Also, the 540i seems to run for a bit more, and I was also fearing high service/maintenance costs. Careful, you might miss the manual tranny. I had a manual Maxima as my last car and am now going through manual tranny withdrawl. It just seems like something is missing for me, even with E-Shift which is actually a damn good manumatic system.

I guess I would actually take a look at whats out there. If I would see a 6 Speed 540IS with the right configuration, I wouldnt hesitate, otherwise GS 400 all the way. BTW, I'm 22, paid for my GS outright.
Old 04-04-03, 01:43 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Sort of long - but here goes.....

Whatever you do, don't drive the 540 - you won't be satisfied with anything else. As a former 540ia owner and current GS430 owner here are my thoughts -
*Make sure you get a 540 with the sport package (not sure if you are considering a new or a used one).
*99 and higher 540s with sport package have a performance rear end & higher stall speed torque converter. This makes the car snap off the line and I would probably put it up there with a 6-speed 540 (no mag has ever compared the two). That said, 99 and higher 540s will spank the GS off the line. Not even close - trust me.
*The GS430 sort of "builds steam" as it goes. Doggy off the line (it won't break the tires loose from a standstill) but by 30 it starts accelerating like crazy. From 30 on it will take the 540 - unfortunately by 30 the 540 will have a substantial lead. Drive both cars and you will see (or read the magazine comparos).
*The 540 handles incredible - the GS430 is a boat.
*The stereo in the 540 is atrocious. Get the $1,200 DSP to make it bearable or save your money and put in an aftermarket. GS430 stereo (MarkLev) rocks. Best stock system I have ever heard.
*Staggered tires on the 540 sport look cool - the 2003 540s come with 18" now. The GS tires look one size too small and don't even go out past the rim. Most people here put on aftermarket wheels (not my style however).
* I like the blacked trim on the 540 - Lexus still has chrome.
*97 540s are a no no - serious reliability issues - stay away, far away. 98s and higher have sport package option - but remember, the 99s and higher are the ones to get.
*seats are a toss up - sport seats in the 540 are great - seats in the GS430 are softer. I should mention that the rear seat is bigger in the GS.
*GS costs a LOT less. Not sure what market is like today, but I don't think they are discounting the 5-series much these days (at least the rare 540) whereas the GS430 can be had totally loaded for about $50K after discount (without much bargaining). There is less profit in the German cars. Figure paying almost $10K more for a comparably equipped 540 - that's a lot of dough. Even used 2000 5-series go for about $5-$8K more.
*for what it is worth, my 540 was trouble free - except for the worthless cupholders (best thing about the GS BTW next to the radio). My GS430 has been anything but trouble free.
*Certified 540s don't have the same warranty coverage as certified GSs. Friend with a 97 540 had a seatbelt pretensioner go out on his certified 540 - $500 and NOT covered by the warranty. I'm pretty sure Lexus covers all.
*Toyota/Lexus tend to stand behind their cars - problems that crop up out of warranty are normally taken care of if the issue is "known". BMW on the other hand doesn't quite help out like that. Maybe because people with BMWs beat the crap out of them - not sure.
*I loved the understated looks of my 540 - but I REALLY love the looks of the GS - the new Maxima seems to have the same look as the GS (rear quarter perspective)
*The interior of the GS is nicer - but the 540 works just fine thank you (I'm not too much into how a dashboard looks) - the shifter handle in the 540 sure does feel a lot better than the GS however.
*Climate controls on GS work better - temp is more consistent - rarely do you have to adjust it. 540 was always all over the place - however I could keep the air conditioner off on the 540 and still have the auto air circulation system on - not possible with the GS
*Finally, there is a torque converter upgrade and L-tuned suspension upgrade for the GS that from what other board members say puts the car in the 540 league in terms of acceleration and handling. I would think a used GS 400 with these mods would probably be cheaper than a used 540 - if you are going the used route, consider this as an option.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Doug
Old 04-04-03, 02:59 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Excellent write up Doug!!! You explored the plusses and minuses of both cars very well.

I would add that your experience with the GS's reliability is not typical of the majority of GS owners. I don't have any of the problems you have with yours other than the annoying noise from the sun roof when the shade is open.

I think my experience is more in line with the majority of GS cars - solid and very reliable. Cheers!

Last edited by Hameed; 04-04-03 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-04-03, 05:52 PM
LexFather

If your 21 and your pockets are not deep, I'd go with the GS. Less $$$ to maintain and less of a chance for something to go wrong. Both cars are STUNNERS, wonderful sedans. The new Maxima is nice but not in the same league as these 2 cars. The Maxima used to be called the "poor mans BMW" but at 35k loaded it's being pitched as a BMW alternative.

I already order the M5 left side muffler and gonna order the bumpers and wheels later on probably even before I have the car.
Well first buy the right side muffler and then get a 540. You already started buying mods?

Now I am confused.
Old 04-04-03, 06:46 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Hameed is correct - my experience with both my BMW and my GS are not typical (at least per CL members and Consumer Reports). I do believe that the GS would probably be more reliable in the long run. I also believe that the 540 would be more fun in the long run - at least stock. If I were in your shoes Snoop Monk, I would seriously consider a 2000 GS400 for like $30-$32K with the torque converter upgrade and the L-tuned. I think you would be thrilled with the car for a long time - other board members would attest to this as well.

Doug
Old 04-04-03, 08:01 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

"I'm 21 years old and is considering buying the 540i sometime this month. I already order the M5 left side muffler and gonna order the bumpers and wheels later on probably even before I have the car. But the 540i wasn't my first choice as my next vehicle, the GS400 was."

Since you already ordered the M5 left side muffler, sounded like you made your decision to buy the 540i
I had a pre-owned 93 LS400 and had no problems except routine maintenances. I have friends who have Audis, BMWs and they aren't as trouble-free as Lexus. The GS400 is faster than the 540i A in acceleration (as least from Road Tests by Motor Trend). I do a lot of highway driving thus will accept a softer ride, lower lateral g and slower salalom.
Old 04-05-03, 01:15 AM
GZero604
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for your opinions

Last edited by GZero604; 10-29-16 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-05-03, 06:13 AM
318daily
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Hi, New here but need some help

Why not just buy a M5 you might ask. Cause I'm only 21 and don't have a deep wallet like most of you do. [/B]
Is this for real ? 21 and you can't decide between a GS4 or a 540, oh boo hoo poor you. Given the cars that you have to choose from it doesn't sound like you need to be worried about repair bills. What do you want out of the car? Blistering speed? rail like handling? gangsta rap blingin' ?

Honestly, my suggestion is to get an E36 M3 and mod the hell out of it, then take it to the Auto X and learn how
to drive it. Ricer kids won't be able to touch you.
Old 04-05-03, 02:40 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And this place is great. Everyone here is so nice and has quick response. Maybe I should get a Lexus GS cuz I like the attitude of the people here . BMW forums sucks [/B]

That's right! Lexus rules

And don't listen to all those comments about the 21 years of age. I leased a '98 GS400 at 21, a beautiful black/ivory. 3 years later, I leased another, this time an '01 GS430 silver/black with all the bells and whistles. If all goes well, I'm sure I'll be up for the new '05 GS in late 2004. I just splurged on the new '04 RX330 as my doggy car and ski trip car - what a fun ride!

So bottom line - I've been a GS driver for the last 5+ years, and I love it more and more each day. I never get tired of looking at it - it has so much style and class, and it can really move!! Other than tiny rattles here and there (which I am super picky about and Lexus always kindly repairs), I have not had one problem. Maintenance is relatively inexpensive compared to German brands. And although I'm not into mods or anything like that (other than window tinting and chrome wheels), the GS has always been a real head-turner. It won't disappoint!! (The 540 is a great car too, but I can't stand BMW service or sales. Plus, the style is getting old and not very appealing. - The new body is arriving soon)

Just my two cents . . . good luck, and keep us posted on your decision!

Quick Reply: Hi, New here but need some help