GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Totally stumped on this one? Drive shaft wont go back in

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-15, 05:20 AM
aristo2jzg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally stumped on this one? Drive shaft wont go back in

Hi all,

I am totally stuck on this one, really need some help!

I took the rear driveshaft/axle off to change the reluctor ring, everything went smoothly.

I am now having a nightmare of a time trying to get it back into the housing on the diff (see pic), only part of the shaft came out and the bearings keep dropping out as I am trying to get it back in, even when I do get it back in it just doesn't mate up properly on one side, I have tried every combination?

How is this suppose to go back in? Surely it just slides in without the need for any hammering?

Does it back in in a certain way?

Only other option I have is to take the piece of the diff that refused to come off by jacking it up at the edge in order to force it to snap off, but dont want to damage the diff?

I spent hours under the car, every single bone in my body will testify to the pains lol

Grateful for any advice guys?

Old 08-16-15, 04:46 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never removed the axle from a GS, but I'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to take the Constant Velocity (CV) joint apart to do it. CV joints will only work properly when assembled with the parts aligned as they were when new, in other words with each ball in the cup originally matched to it.

You have a one in six chance of getting that right and it would be a LOT easier to do that with the short half of the CV in one hand and the axle in a vise.

I suggest you find out the RIGHT way to remove the half of the CV joint that's still attached to the differential, remove it and reassemble the CV joint. Then reinsert the entire CV and axle assembly into the diff, again using the proper method.

P.S. You might want to mention the model and year.
Old 08-17-15, 02:57 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never attempted this project, but hopefully this information will get you back on track...
Attached Thumbnails Totally stumped on this one? Drive shaft wont go back in-drive-shaft.jpg   Totally stumped on this one? Drive shaft wont go back in-ds2.jpg  
Old 08-18-15, 02:29 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah i've done these. Looks like yours came apart.

Just knock the other half off with a mallet, then clean and symbol everything like it should be, then put it back in the car and you'll be good.
Old 08-18-15, 01:07 PM
aristo2jzg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys and for the diagram.

Managed to solve the puzzle, had to take it inside and figure it all out, managed to get the cap off the diff and cleaned it all up.

It was really fiddly but basically you have to match up the small ended stars with the bigger markers on the cap/housing.

I will try find a diagram and post so it will help others.

Never ever take that shaft apart like that if you dont know how to repack it all

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Have just mocked up a quick diagram - Basically all the outer large lips marry up with the smallest edge on inside star, if it jambs then lift it out a little and play around with it, you will get there in the end - just simulate how it would sit on car and make sure it moves in all directions, double check all this before you pack it with grease.

Last edited by aristo2jzg; 08-18-15 at 01:36 PM.