GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

looking to purchase 2nd gen gs400

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 10:47 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

EverThe Day,

Firts, Welcome to the club.

Second, That car tell me that have more miles on it that really the car fax said or in the cluster. Why I say that? The Shift ****, The Steering Wheel, both they are worn and a lots of rush screws on the radiator area that just tell me, see those details that the car have, is the reason that tell me, the car have more miles what the cluster said.

Third, I met a person in my previous job that he had a friend who had a computer and that's installed in any vehicle and ran down the mileage on any car for $500.00 That's the reason I'm not sure that they are the original millage in that cluster neither. Also, maybe, maybe it is another cluster and not the original??

Fourth, I personally don't trush in carfax. Because when I went to buy my first GS the guy on the dealer show me the carfax and the carfax showed no accident and the passenjer fender had changed and painted. No have the sticker ( VIN # ) on it. The previous owner never report the accident to the insurance and that way never showed on carfax. I believe in what I see in person. It's my personal opinion.
Old 10-17-15, 10:59 PM
EverTheDay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcon
EverThe Day,

Firts, Welcome to the club.

Second, That car tell me that have more miles on it that really the car fax said or in the cluster. Why I say that? The Shift ****, The Steering Wheel, both they are worn and a lots of rush screws on the radiator area that just tell me, see those details that the car have, is the reason that tell me, the car have more miles what the cluster said.

Third, I met a person in my previous job that he had a friend who had a computer and that's installed in any vehicle and ran down the mileage on any car for $500.00 That's the reason I'm not sure that they are the original millage in that cluster neither. Also, maybe, maybe it is another cluster and not the original??

Fourth, I personally don't trush in carfax. Because when I went to buy my first GS the guy on the dealer show me the carfax and the carfax showed no accident and the passenjer fender had changed and painted. No have the sticker ( VIN # ) on it. The previous owner never report the accident to the insurance and that way never showed on carfax. I believe in what I see in person. It's my personal opinion.

Makes total sense... I'm glad that I didn't go through with it.. When they refused to put it on a lift and let me have a real look around I knew something was up.. As far as the rust on certin screws.. It is in Florida.. If a wrench was put to those at all its not uncommon for rust to set in quickly.. I do know of way to swap lower mileage clusters ect.. Even on the e39 and newer it is possible if you have the right software..

Thanks for your insight sir!
Old 10-17-15, 11:14 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

I"m glad that I could help you and for your future purchase of a GS. For that we are here and in Florida too. LOL

Good luck with your search. You'll see that you very soon found one.
Old 10-19-15, 12:02 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP Ive had my eyes on this GS. It has a Supra BBK as well. Get it, its in pristine condition.
Old 10-20-15, 12:33 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EverTheDay
Biggest issue is getting over not having a manual box.. I havnt owned a slushbox in 10 years..

But if I find a dependable daily I can get my project back on the road.. I do know a good bit about older Toyota motors including the 1UZ... I previously swaped a 7mgte/R154 into a older e30 I had and it was a blast.. The current project is a 1jz 318is I have my in my buddies shop.. Needs a real standalone and better mounts and its road worthy so that's always an outlet to live my hood rat dreams..

I figure I will be alright with whatever I purchase be it a 2/3rd gen as long as I don't inherite a massive project.. Hopefully my years of horse trading BMWs will aid in my inspection of cars.. It's all rubber and internal combustion nonsense haha..

I am very happy about finding such a good forum for Lexus.. Especially everyone being quite friendly so far.. Bimmerforums and R3v/e30tech aren't the most friendly places for somone looking for feedback and learning heh..

welcome to the forum, and glad to have you on the board
Old 10-20-15, 09:04 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot Florida sun combined with lotions/hand sanitizers/other stuff people put on their hands could very easily cause these things to wear quicker than normal. It is also 15 years old. If you look at the ***** and steering wheels of 15-year old cars with 100,000+ miles, you'll see that they have MUCH more wear than the car in this post.

This would show on the CarFax as an odometer rollback. So on to your next point...

There is a very simple explanation for this.

Like you said, the previous owner had the fender painted and didn't report it to CarFax. This doesn't necessarily mean that the car was in a wreck. Could've been a large scratch, shopping cart dent, or paint fading. Cars get body work done all the time without reporting to CarFax, so if you don't trust it for that reason, I don't blame you.

However, one thing you can trust CarFax with is mileage. Service stations, dealerships, DMVs, etc. all record the mileage of your vehicle when you bring it in. It is nearly impossible to lower the mileage on an odometer by any significant amount without CarFax catching it.

I look at 10+ CarFaxs per day because of my job. I looked at the CarFax for this particular GS400 and I can tell you that one of the following statements is true:

1) The mileage on that car is 100% original.

2) There is a 15-year long conspiracy which stretches across 3 states that involves multiple dealerships and government agencies to keep the mileage on this vehicle appearing lower than it actually is.

Which one seems more plausible?

OP,

The condition of the car and the modifications make me think that both owners took very good care of it. The OEM Toyota/Lexus upgrades (LS430 wheels, Supra brakes) are typically the modifications of someone who puts maintaining their vehicle above all else. If it were slammed on replica wheels with a bunch of fake Junction Produce pillows inside, I would say run away.

But OEM+ upgrades are usually nothing to be afraid of and are usually an indication that someone had a dealership (or at least a Toyota/Lexus mechanic) doing all the work on their car.

That said, just over $10,000 would be a much more realistic number for that car.

Last edited by mveale; 10-20-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-20-15, 09:44 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=mveale;9222930]Hot Florida sun combined with lotions/hand sanitizers/other stuff people put on their hands could very easily cause these things to wear quicker than normal. It is also 15 years old. If you look at the ***** and steering wheels of 15-year old cars with 100,000+ miles, you'll see that they have MUCH more wear than the car in this post.

This would show on the CarFax as an odometer rollback. So on to your next point...

mveale,

First, QUOTE=mveale;9222930]Hot Florida sun combined with lotions/hand sanitizers/other stuff people put on their hands could very easily cause these things to wear quicker than normal. It is also 15 years old. If you look at the ***** and steering wheels of 15-year old cars with 100,000+ miles, you'll see that they have MUCH more wear than the car in this post.

mveale,

First, I do not want to argue with your points that you have brought to this topic or anything like that. But my car the steering wheel and **** have some mark but not worn out on color like this one.

There is a very simple explanation for this.

Like you said, the previous owner had the fender painted and didn't report it to CarFax. This doesn't necessarily mean that the car was in a wreck. Could've been a large scratch, shopping cart dent, or paint fading. Cars get body work done all the time without reporting to CarFax, so if you don't trust it for that reason, I don't blame you.

However, one thing you can trust CarFax with is mileage. Service stations, dealerships, DMVs, etc. all record the mileage of your vehicle when you bring it in. It is nearly impossible to lower the mileage on an odometer by any significant amount without CarFax catching it.

I look at 10+ CarFaxs per day because of my job. I looked at the CarFax for this particular GS400 and I can tell you that one of the following statements is true:

1) The mileage on that car is 100% original.

2) There is a 15-year long conspiracy which stretches across 3 states that involves multiple dealerships and government agencies to keep the mileage on this vehicle appearing lower than it actually is.

Which one seems more plausible?

Second,
Here in Florida and I do not know if this happens in your state in OR, but after 10 years of any vehicle here in Florida by the Florida law, as you are the owner of a vehicle that has more than 10 years, you do not have to report the millage on the tittle of that vehicle if it you sell it.(exempt miles) That is easier in this state with people can cheat it with the millage of any car and no be show in any website. You can have a car for more of 5, 6 or plus years and the car have more the 10 years old and not have any dealer record on it after the last own, a the time that you want to sell it, is easy to cheat to the person that want to buy your car. That way the titlle of that car show something different. This happened to me 10 years ago, when I buy a vehicle that said that the title was clean but then I hear from the DMV dept. after I go to there and ask to check the car and the record of the car and the DMV dept tell me that the car was repair and the shop that repair the vehicle never reported the damage to the DMV dept. The person who bought it after the repair, sold the car within a month and so the next person who also bought the car, sold it in less than a month and that was me. That way in the DMV dept. was unaware or that they never realized what had happened with this vehicle. I spend a lot of money to fixing it because the DMV dept. found out that was missing the air bags, air light on the cluster and other things that was missing on the car to be save on the road. When I fix the issue, I return to the DMV dept to check again my car to pass inspection and the tittle pass to be a salvageable repaired car. But after a few years I put the car on sale and I clarify the condition on the tittle and the person that bought it for me still have the car and I recently met him and hi told me that the only thing that he has done is a regular maintenance. That the car has gone very well. I rspond to him, I'm happy for you.

I say what I have lived and experimented with different vehicles in my life and I hope that neither you nor anyone bother what I've said here.