GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thinkin of buying a 98-00 GS need Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 03:08 PM
rukarims
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Thinkin of buying a 98-00 GS need Input

hey everyone..well time has come to upgrade to someting new. I have decided to go for a GS300. I really want a GS400 but its out of my range. By this saturday I should have bought sometihng. I just wanted to ask owners that have btw 98 -00 GS 300's to give me some input of what they like and what they dont like.
And yeah the stock sound system, does it have a subwoofer on the rear deck? (if so how many watts,what size?,and what brand? )

Thanks
Old 04-09-03, 03:33 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a 99 GS400 a couple of months ago.

So far it hasn't been as reliable as I would have imagined it to be. But I'm hopeful that from here on out it will be.

Things I like:
The suspension, road feel, power, comfort, quietness, quality and convenience are top-notch.

Things I don't like:
A few more 'creaks' and 'pops (only when going over decent sized bumps and rough areas in the road) more than I expected. This may be because the car is so quiet that you can hear even the tiniest little movement of interior parts in the cabin.
The manumatic shifting is nearly worthless. You can't shift into first and also the car thinks it knows better than you as to what gear you should be in... why even bother making a manumatic, then? Just make it a full automatic, or maybe call it "an automatic with occasional driver-suggested preference)
The leather isn't holding up as well as I would have expected. The back seats look absolutely great, but the front seats, especially the driver's, in the center area, looks like it has about 3-4 times the use out of it that you'd expect on a 30k mile car.

Overall I paid 26.5k for the car with 30k miles and couldn't be happier. No second thoughts. As many complaints as I may have, the car is still great to drive, and in theory I've got better odds with this car's reliability than with any other brand of late model car on the planet.

To answer your question, only the Nakamichi sound system comes with a subwoofer. That sound system is an option, and you'll know it's equipped if it says "Nakamichi" on the radio rather than just "Premium Sound" which would lead you to believe it's the optional system... when it's actually the 'standard' system. The sub is mounted to the rear deck and although I don't know its exact size it looks to be around 8 inches to me. Maybe plus or minus an inch?
Old 04-09-03, 06:03 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Thinkin of buying a 98-00 GS need Input

Originally posted by rukarims
hey everyone..well time has come to upgrade to someting new. I have decided to go for a GS300. I really want a GS400 but its out of my range. By this saturday I should have bought sometihng. I just wanted to ask owners that have btw 98 -00 GS 300's to give me some input of what they like and what they dont like.
And yeah the stock sound system, does it have a subwoofer on the rear deck? (if so how many watts,what size?,and what brand? )

Thanks
Since you didn't mention the price range for your new GS, you may want to search websites like cars.com and autotrader.com for all states and get an idea on whether GS400 is really out of your price range.
I bought a pre-owned low-mileage GS400 recently with navigation package and love the power of its V8. I have a TL Type-S so I wasn't interest in getting the GS300 that has less ponies. The stock sound system in the GS400 is better than the Bose in the Type-S so I am happy with the stock 7-speakers 215-watts Pioneer system in the GS400. The leather, interior materials, built quality in the GS are better than my Type-S. The only minor thing that I wish my GS has is larger rims instead of the 16-inch rims. A pre-own GS300 is still a lot of money so go test drive both GS300 and GS400 to determine whether you will be happy with the V6.
Old 04-09-03, 06:40 PM
ATLgs4
Driver

i think all current model gs's have the subwoofer in the rear deck. gs4's anyway. head unit is by pioneer i think. dont know about the speakers
Old 04-09-03, 09:17 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

nakamichi head unit is a different set up all togehter then the pioneer...... i love my car no regrets and never say never just shop around the used car market is at an all time low rite now so do your homework and dont settle for something when you can get what you want if you look for it. i have a 99 GS400 blk/blk fully loaded but no nav. and i love it! so much to modify and its pefect if you take care of it.

some sites to try....... ebay Of course
autotrader.com
autoweb.com
yahoo.com click autos from that page it'lll take you to the rest...

G'luck

~ Stella
Old 04-09-03, 09:31 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Thinkin of buying a 98-00 GS need Input

Originally posted by gs400998
Since you didn't mention the price range for your new GS, you may want to search websites like cars.com and autotrader.com for all states and get an idea on whether GS400 is really out of your price range.
I bought a pre-owned low-mileage GS400 recently with navigation package and love the power of its V8. I have a TL Type-S so I wasn't interest in getting the GS300 that has less ponies. The stock sound system in the GS400 is better than the Bose in the Type-S so I am happy with the stock 7-speakers 215-watts Pioneer system in the GS400. The leather, interior materials, built quality in the GS are better than my Type-S. The only minor thing that I wish my GS has is larger rims instead of the 16-inch rims. A pre-own GS300 is still a lot of money so go test drive both GS300 and GS400 to determine whether you will be happy with the V6.
Hm, that would be an I6, not a V6. Major difference being the I6 is inline whereas the V6 is in a V type parameter. The engine in the GS300 is possibly one of the most sought after engines ever (i.e. the 2JZ-GTE is the supra engine... the 2JZ-GE is the engine in the GS300). It is easily upgradeable if you ever wanted a turbo and could produce plenty of power. Either way you go, 300 or 400, I'm sure you'll be happy at the end of every day. Good luck.

-Anthony
Old 04-09-03, 09:53 PM
LexFather

Come down to a meet in Atlanta and you can see and hear everything in person
think all current model gs's have the subwoofer in the rear deck. gs4's anyway. head unit is by pioneer i think. dont know about the speakers
Correct. Stock system is Pioneer, 220 watts 7 speaks. 1 in each door, 2 tweeters and the rear sub.