GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is needed for VVTi 1UZ swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 06:41 AM
NIXmx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What is needed for VVTi 1UZ swap?

I recently bought a t-boned 1998 GS400 as a parts car to fix my own 1998 GS400. I only needed the rear cross member and suspension arms.

What I would like to know is what parts I should remove and keep with the engine to make it useable in another non-lexus car. I'm dealing with this problem with a 2UZ swap in my 1985 Celica. I didn't keep the keys, key sensor, theft ecu, etc from the donor 2000 Land Cruiser.

Other than the engine wiring, engine ecu, theft ecu, keys, key amplifier and ecu; what other parts should I keep?

I'd like to transfer the keys, tumblers, wireless entry, and hatch release function as well. Hell, if even the complete anti-theft system and alarm.

Since I have the complete car, I might just put this VVTi 1UZ in the Celica instead.

Please do not make this a thread about weather or not I should do this. I would really appreciate it if we stayed on topic. I really need good, solid information from those who have dealt with similar issues. Thank you.
Old 11-02-15, 06:46 AM
NIXmx
Driver

Also; could anyone point me in the right direction, if not post a link, to a company or I dividual who can bypass the security lock out within the engine ecu? I can prove ownership of the engine and vehicle it came from. That could make everything easier. Thank you.
Old 11-25-15, 07:04 AM
NIXmx
Driver

Bump for info. I would really like to remove the drivetrain and recycle the chassis. Thanks.
Old 11-25-15, 07:30 AM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember you from mr2.com.

Doubt you'll get any good solid info for a vvti into your Celica since everyone does non vvti swaps. You'll basically be pioneering this swap. You'd probably have better luck on Lextreme as they put the UZs in everything.

Quit being a ***** and drop that drivetrain, test fit, and throw money at it. Make a how to, become famous on celica forums, profit.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-15, 08:30 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Originally Posted by xHyaku
I remember you from mr2.com.)
AWESOME!! Same name and picture on all car forums. I really miss my MR2; even though it gave me 2nd degree birnd on my face, arms, and legs. =D

Doubt you'll get any good solid info for a vvti into your Celica since everyone does non vvti swaps. You'll basically be pioneering this swap. You'd probably have better luck on Lextreme as they put the UZs in everything.

Quit being a ***** and drop that drivetrain, test fit, and throw money at it. Make a how to, become famous on celica forums, profit.

Good luck!
Not to get off topic; but I have a non-VVTi 2UZ bolted to an R154 with a Toyota 9.5" solid rear axle in my Celica. This info will also help me with that swap. I'll know what else I need to buy to complete that project.

Mainly I have this wrecked GS400 in my front yard that I want to tow away, but I don't know what I NEED to keep in order to do a clean and easy swap.
Old 11-25-15, 09:55 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the ECU immobilizer bypass, this guy will do it for $150+shipping to Russia and back: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16344

I've spoken to him and he's a knowledgeable person. Many have used his services.

I would take the intake plumbing, air box, MAF, engine covers, ECU, key, immobilizer transponder and amplifier, charcoal canister setup, AC and PS hoses, fuel pump, transmission harness with solenoids and speed sensors (!!!) to fake out the stock ECU, transmission bellhousing to adapt to manual transmissions. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch...
Old 11-25-15, 10:02 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black_LS
Regarding the ECU immobilizer bypass, this guy will do it for $150+shipping to Russia and back: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16344

I've spoken to him and he's a knowledgeable person. Many have used his services.

I would take the intake plumbing, air box, MAF, engine covers, ECU, key, immobilizer transponder and amplifier, charcoal canister setup, AC and PS hoses, fuel pump, transmission harness with solenoids and speed sensors (!!!) to fake out the stock ECU, transmission bellhousing to adapt to manual transmissions. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch...
Nifty!

If you bypass the immobilizer then I wouldn't worry about the transponder stuff.

All you'll need then really is the engine wire harness, ecu, shoot, i'd pull the body harness and even the cluster since it runs off CAN.
Old 11-25-15, 10:46 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Nifty!

If you bypass the immobilizer then I wouldn't worry about the transponder stuff.

All you'll need then really is the engine wire harness, ecu, shoot, i'd pull the body harness and even the cluster since it runs off CAN.
You wouldn't need much more without the bypass. I was going to have him modify my ECU, but I just bought an ECU and matching key from a yard instead. No need for the "theft ECU" you mentioned, just the key, ECU, key ring, and little transponder box next to the key ring (I believe it's called an amplifier). The key and ECU must be from the same car, the other two items are generic.