GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some serious assistance...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 07:16 PM
ilcitdream
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some serious assistance...

So my 99 Gs400 hasn't been blowing cold air at all... The system is running low on pressure and seems like running low on Freon as well. I added a can in about 1 month ago then added more about 3 days ago. Tonight I get in and the entire inside smells/reeks of Freon and that alcohol based smell. Could I have a leak or crack in one of the interior lines? Has anyone ever come across this problem before? I researched and came up with nothing that matches my problem... Thoughts?
Old 11-04-15, 07:41 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's likely the evaporator core leaking. Hopefully the freon your adding has dye in it so the leak can be visually isolated. I would still want to visually inspect the area where the ac lines go into the firewall in the engine bay but the leak is likely in the dash. I'm pretty sure there are threads on here about core replacement and I'm sure someone else will chime in with more specific information.

Is this the first time you noticed a freon smell in the car or did you get the same smell a month ago as well?

Are you pulling a vacuum on the system before adding freon? How much are you adding? What are your static and running pressures?

Keep in mind that if your system is low on freon, its high on oxygen. Something had to take place of the freon that leaked out. If you don't get it out of there, your pressures run high and usually blow out the weak link which is usually the low pressure core.

A leaking head seal (Manifold seal?) on the compressor is a common issue causing low freon. Having dye in the system is key so you get visual representation of the leak.

Last edited by Gdwrench35; 11-04-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 07:49 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

AC in November?? In Iowa??
Old 11-04-15, 08:00 PM
GSTim
Rookie

I had similar condition like yours 2 years ago. Out of nowhere, the a/c just started to not blow cold and there was a very distinctive odor to my gs400. I popped the hood and looked at the compressor thinking that it was shot. Low and behold the compressor was not clicking on. I just moved out here to Vegas and the heat was almost unbareable. I called a buddy back in Los Angeles and said he needs to check it out. The following weekend I headed to LA with only the fan/windows/sunroof. We were sweating the whole way. 4 hour drive.

I left him the car and he evacuated and recharge, add dye and it held pressure. He told me he used it to get parts for the shop and it was working all day. I picked it up and it was working fine. The compressor didn't click on was due to no freon in the system. I drove it around that night and poof, no more A/C. I called him up and met him up and he checked it out and says that is odd. No sign of dye anywhere. Have the same odor. He was cool eniugh to open shop for me on sunday to check it out. Evac and charge again, no issue. No leaks. He said it could be the condensor, receiver dryer, or compressor. I said I cannot take it back to Vegas without AC.

He recommended to replace the condensor(cheaper than compressor). I said ok. He removed the condensor and said the receiver dryer comes together as 1 unit(inspected condensor and found nowhere to be leaking). Odd he says. He put in the condensor and said if this does not fix it, then it would be the compressor. As the AC system does not have a lot of parts. 2 years later and working as good as it was when I got it.

im not saying you have the same problem, but hope this long story helps.
Old 11-04-15, 09:28 PM
ilcitdream
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gdwrench35
It's likely the evaporator core leaking. Hopefully the freon your adding has dye in it so the leak can be visually isolated. I would still want to visually inspect the area where the ac lines go into the firewall in the engine bay but the leak is likely in the dash. I'm pretty sure there are threads on here about core replacement and I'm sure someone else will chime in with more specific information.

Is this the first time you noticed a freon smell in the car or did you get the same smell a month ago as well?

Are you pulling a vacuum on the system before adding freon? How much are you adding? What are your static and running pressures?

Keep in mind that if your system is low on freon, its high on oxygen. Something had to take place of the freon that leaked out. If you don't get it out of there, your pressures run high and usually blow out the weak link which is usually the low pressure core.

A leaking head seal (Manifold seal?) on the compressor is a common issue causing low freon. Having dye in the system is key so you get visual representation of the leak.
To answer some of your questions... No I didn't have any smell like this a month ago. I don't drive it that much as my wife daily drives it, but she would definitely have let me know if she smelled something. I added a total of 2 full cans of Freon in the past 1 month. I don't have gauges to run static pressures for both high and low sides, but with gauge I do have the pressure is a constant 23-25 psi on the low side. I don't have a way to vacuum the system out before adding any Freon, unless I take it to a shop to have the discharge and recharge the system... (I think that's what you mean). I will definitely get dye and try and track down the leak... As for your last question.. Lol, yes it was abnormally warm this past week with temps in high 70's... Weird I know for Iowa, but it is Iowa after all.
Old 11-04-15, 09:31 PM
ilcitdream
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSTim
I had similar condition like yours 2 years ago. Out of nowhere, the a/c just started to not blow cold and there was a very distinctive odor to my gs400. I popped the hood and looked at the compressor thinking that it was shot. Low and behold the compressor was not clicking on. I just moved out here to Vegas and the heat was almost unbareable. I called a buddy back in Los Angeles and said he needs to check it out. The following weekend I headed to LA with only the fan/windows/sunroof. We were sweating the whole way. 4 hour drive.

I left him the car and he evacuated and recharge, add dye and it held pressure. He told me he used it to get parts for the shop and it was working all day. I picked it up and it was working fine. The compressor didn't click on was due to no freon in the system. I drove it around that night and poof, no more A/C. I called him up and met him up and he checked it out and says that is odd. No sign of dye anywhere. Have the same odor. He was cool eniugh to open shop for me on sunday to check it out. Evac and charge again, no issue. No leaks. He said it could be the condensor, receiver dryer, or compressor. I said I cannot take it back to Vegas without AC.

He recommended to replace the condensor(cheaper than compressor). I said ok. He removed the condensor and said the receiver dryer comes together as 1 unit(inspected condensor and found nowhere to be leaking). Odd he says. He put in the condensor and said if this does not fix it, then it would be the compressor. As the AC system does not have a lot of parts. 2 years later and working as good as it was when I got it.

im not saying you have the same problem, but hope this long story helps.
Any info like this in my opinion is great info. This will help me hopefully pin point the culprit and faulty area. It's just odd that the smell was so overwhelming tonight in the car. I will pop the hood and check around the engine bay to see if I can see any leaks or anything else under there. Thankfully the temps are starting to drop and winter is right around the corner, but I am very meticulous and hate owning/driving a car that I know has something wrong with it, especially the Lexus. Thanks again for the info and story.
Old 11-05-15, 10:12 AM
ilcitdream
Driver School Candidate

After doing some more research last night I see that the evaporator system can leak… This seems to be more common then not. Do I have to go with an OEM evaporator? Or would an aftermarket work just fine?
Old 11-05-15, 04:08 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Check this link. This maybe help you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...quick-fix.html
Old 11-05-15, 05:08 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Because of the odor your getting, thats why I would lean to a leak in the interior although any leak in the engine bay could be pumped into the interior if you have your dash set to fresh air instead of recirc.

Be very careful with this. It is dangerous to inhale large amounts of freon. I worked with a guy who charged an ac system that had a very large leak in the interior. He was not aware of where the leak was, charged it, and test drove it. He didn't make it back from the test drive, passed out at the wheel from freon inhalation and crashed the car. Bad deal. Be careful.
Old 11-05-15, 09:42 PM
ilcitdream
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gdwrench35
Because of the odor your getting, thats why I would lean to a leak in the interior although any leak in the engine bay could be pumped into the interior if you have your dash set to fresh air instead of recirc.

Be very careful with this. It is dangerous to inhale large amounts of freon. I worked with a guy who charged an ac system that had a very large leak in the interior. He was not aware of where the leak was, charged it, and test drove it. He didn't make it back from the test drive, passed out at the wheel from freon inhalation and crashed the car. Bad deal. Be careful.
Agreed. This could potentially be a bad deal. The smell is fading rather quickly and thankfully we are entering the winter season in Iowa. I was thinking of discharging the system until I can find time to tear the entire dash out and check where the leak is coming from. Thoughts? The A/C will not be used anymore that I can foresee, of course depending the weather.