GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 1st Lexus, Can It Stand Up To My Driving Habits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03 | 12:05 AM
woodyaht
Driver

Default My 1st Lexus, Can It Stand Up To My Driving Habits?

Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased my first Lexus (GS300) 03' and I was wondering if it will stand up to my driving style? I used to be a avid Acura owner. I started with a 92' Integra, then a 95' Legend, and then a 99' RL. I never had one problem with the powertrain on any of the cars. I even towed my 4000lb. ski boat with the Integra and the Legend. They were pretty much bullet proof. My normal way of driving is, every stoplight is a new race, I usually have to brake to merge on to the freeway. My Acuras saw redline everytime I would get on the freeway (unless I was behind the idiot doing 25, that ends up stopping cause nobody will let him in). You haven't been behind him though have you? Anyways, my foots always on the floor, will the Lexus stand up to that? Have you guys had any problems with your cars driving like this?
I also have a question about the Mark Levinson system that I will post another thread.
Old 04-11-03 | 12:55 AM
LexFather

Yes it will. I probably drive my car harder than everyone on this board and well it is taking it like a "G" at 100,000 miles.

ES 300 has 200,000 miles and is great.
SC 400 has 204,000 miles and is great
RX 300 has 70,000 miles and is great.

Cars are bulletproof. The GS was designed to meet and beat the BMW 5 series which it does. This car is a tough car.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-11-03 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-11-03 | 06:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Perfect that 1Sick and I should reply first.

And Woody - switch to decaf.
Old 04-11-03 | 07:01 AM
XxLS400xX
Driver

hmmmm............
i belive a lexus could lastlonger than any acura. Therefore i belive you shouldnt worry about the car standing up to you. The real question is can you stand up to a lexus? lol
Old 04-11-03 | 08:11 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna

And Woody - switch to decaf.
LMAO......

Yeah just they said it'll holdup....
Old 04-11-03 | 10:21 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by XxLS400xX
hmmmm............
i belive a lexus could lastlonger than any acura.
Statements like these are what give us all a bad reputation for being snooty. Lexus and Acura are both rock-solid, reliable cars as a general rule. Both manufacturers produce the occasional lemon, and both have the occasional recall campaign or chronic problem. But to say that a Lexus will last longer than ANY Acura is silly and doesn't add anything to this conversation.
Old 04-11-03 | 11:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by XxLS400xX
i belive a lexus could lastlonger than any acura.
I don't agree. Acuras are bulletproof.
Old 04-11-03 | 06:00 PM
XxLS400xX
Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I don't agree. Acuras are bulletproof.
i didnt mean for u guys to take it tha @$$

but,
if you say acuras are bulletproof and lexus is bulletproof.
which would outlast which?

from my experience on driving a 170,000 mile 90 LS
and driving a integra with 160,000 miles
I found more problems with the GS-r than tha LS
Old 04-11-03 | 06:02 PM
XxLS400xX
Driver

Originally posted by Iceman
Statements like these are what give us all a bad reputation for being snooty. Lexus and Acura are both rock-solid, reliable cars as a general rule. Both manufacturers produce the occasional lemon, and both have the occasional recall campaign or chronic problem. But to say that a Lexus will last longer than ANY Acura is silly and doesn't add anything to this conversation.

The conversation was going good until you added.
ALso what part of your statement above answered the topic posted????

Last edited by XxLS400xX; 04-11-03 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-11-03 | 07:58 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
[BThe GS was designed to meet and beat the BMW 5 series which it does. This car is a tough car. [/B]
Um, in what way? Not performance, not handling, maybe braking - but only in distance, not in pedal feel and certainly not in reliability (for me anyway).

I don't mean to turn this into another GS vs. 5 series thread, but the GS just doesn't compare to the 5-series. Some of this might be that my 03 GS has so many issues and my 540 had none, but you can't discount the fact that the 540 auto with sport package is faster, handles better and is a step above the GS in real world performance. Sure it cost more, but I swear to you, it was worth it.

Doug
Old 04-11-03 | 11:45 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Doug, now this is my opinion and opinion only..... I had both cars and they both can be compared and both are similar.. Yeah, you pay more money for the Beemer, but that extra money you save with the GS.. You can make the GS faster, handle better, and just plain look better than the 5 series.... Now don't get me wrong, I love the 5 series and always will, but dollar for dollar the GS owns it.....
Old 04-12-03 | 07:18 AM
XxLS400xX
Driver

Originally posted by MrSypher
but dollar for dollar the GS owns it.....
couldnt say it better.
Old 04-12-03 | 08:01 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Yea, it is personal opinion. I lease my cars, so I'm not about to go modding them. I like them stock. That said, you can get the 540 with a sport suspension, high stall speed torque converter, higher gear rear end, and of course with scheduled maintenace all included in your out the door brand new car price.

Now used cars - yep, that's a different story.
Old 04-12-03 | 08:45 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Iceman, I have to disagree somewhat. Yes, Acuras are reliable, just not as reliable as Lexus overall. I mean, it's not even speculative, Lexus has basically owned the JD Power surveys for the last 12 years, almost from their time of inception, pretty impressive to me. Acura has probably been top 5 that entire time, but even if they were runner-up every year, they're still not # 1. That's not being snotty, that's just a simple fact. Lexus also leads the used vehicle market in reliability also. Acura tried and failed to be a marquee "luxury" division, so they've now settled into their own niche, lower priced sport luxury, and they do quite well. If you're flagship is a 6-cylinder at $45k, perception is seen as inferior, so whether it is or not, they chose that role. As for beemers, my wife has one, and just like their reputation ( horrible customer service, reliability vs. cost, electrical problems) they've proved predictable. Of course, it drives great, but neither of us have the time to bring it in every month or so for these mundane issues, especially when they're backed up for weeks, sometimes months just to be fixed. There will always be the exception to the rule i.e beemer w/no problems, but Lexus having many by some owners of both, but the general facts prove otherwise, considering in-warranty BMWs rarely if ever rank in the top 10 for reliability or customer service, unfortunately 2 of the more important qualities people look for when purchasing vehicles at this price point.
Old 04-12-03 | 09:21 AM
LexFather

Um, in what way? Not performance, not handling, maybe braking - but only in distance, not in pedal feel and certainly not in reliability (for me anyway).
When I meant meet and beat, it sure as hell met the 5 series and it beats it in some categories and loses in some categories. IMO, the cars are equals. It is showing the GS is a top contender to the 5-series and not a 1/2 **** attemept i.e Lincoln LS, M45, S-type etc.

Some of ya'll need to get off BMWs payroll. In every magazine I have read, the concencous was YES the Lexus was softer but in some ways more fun to drive (not as predictable), it drives like a coupe, better interior, it's faster and HELLA cheaper.

Motor Trend Picked the GS as THE sports sedan to buy back in 1999. They felt that the 540 did indeed handle better but not 10k better.

I am kinda tired of the "GS" can't handle stock threads when in fact, many of you push your cars to Wal-Mart. and that is about it. I KNOW what the GS is capable of and the 540 ain't so much better than it.

That BMW BRAND is strong, just as strong as Mercedes Benz is. The GS shook up the sports sedan status quo, LIVE with it.

I can agree that previous Acuras were very bulletproof but the new models simply are not. I have a bunch of people that I know that own them and I've seen a friends tranny go in his CL, I see air vents popping out the interior, I see foglamps blowing and other lil issues. It's not BAD, but it's not Lexus.

Honestly, if Lexus was not known as THE MOST RELIABLE BRAND, (their Brand) they would not sell half as many cars.

Quick Reply: My 1st Lexus, Can It Stand Up To My Driving Habits?