GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

catalytic converter problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 03:58 PM
genjix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converter problems

Hi,

I noticed my car making a vibrating sound and doesnt accelerate as fast. I brought it to the mechanic and he put it on the lift. When revving the car, we noticed a small hole in the catalytic converter area. He said he can weld on a metal sheet to fix for $250. any ideas on if this is the right solution/price? I didnt know this mechanic and he seemed a little shady

2000 GS300
Old 12-26-15, 05:14 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Go and check another shop for second opinion. That way you know if that is the best way to fix your cat and the prices 2.
Old 12-26-15, 08:08 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

That seems quite a bit too high. However, I'm going by the little information you're giving. I cant see more than $100 for welding a sheet of metal (whatever that means) Exhaust welders usually only charge about $60 an hour for a weld job. I had extensive work done including some mandrel bending and only payed $120 for that. Again, dont know exactly what this guy wants to do.

As for the power loss... I cant see this causing that problem. Are you getting a check engine light? IF this hole were giving you a problem, you should be getting a code for bad sensors or cat which would give you performance problems.
Old 12-26-15, 08:29 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
That seems quite a bit too high. However, I'm going by the little information you're giving. I cant see more than $100 for welding a sheet of metal (whatever that means) Exhaust welders usually only charge about $60 an hour for a weld job. I had extensive work done including some mandrel bending and only payed $120 for that. Again, dont know exactly what this guy wants to do.

As for the power loss... I cant see this causing that problem. Are you getting a check engine light? IF this hole were giving you a problem, you should be getting a code for bad sensors or cat which would give you performance problems.
I'm agree with you on this; As for the power loss... I cant see this causing that problem. Are you getting a check engine light? IF this hole were giving you a problem, you should be getting a code for bad sensors or cat which would give you performance problems.
Old 12-27-15, 07:41 PM
genjix
Driver School Candidate

no check engine light. perhaps the power loss is in my head, but really seems that it doesnt accelerate like it used to. I will be going to get a 2nd opinion this week. stay tuned. thanks all
Old 12-28-15, 08:00 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

I just buy a use Exhaust Manifold and Y pipe with low miles. The Y pipe have a small cat and was clogger. Because that small cat is after the last O2 sensor any cel light go ON but damage my first 2 cat. Check that small cat please.

All these pieces of honey and sand was what came out of the small catalytic when I remove the Y pipe. No bueno.
Old 12-29-15, 10:24 AM
genjix
Driver School Candidate

Soi went to 2nd mechanic and he said it's the y pipe. He said to change it. OEM costs too much what do you guys think about this part.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/PaceSetter-Performance-Catalytic-Converter-Direct-Fit-Stainless-Steel-Lexus-Each-/191752983590?nav=SEARCH
Old 12-29-15, 10:40 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure is the same side of yours because I buy one that Was short for like a four inch in the front. Later I found out that was for IS300 and NOT for GS300. The GS300 is longer, the single pipe after the two pipes is width, plus before of the small cat the pipe have more angle or curve that the IS300. And yessss. OEM Y pipe or mid pipe is to much $$$. With my discount is $576.xx
Old 01-09-16, 11:05 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

genjix,

Any update with your Y or mid pipe?
Do you bought the one that you post here and work perfect for you?
Old 01-09-16, 02:42 PM
LentoGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genjix
Hi,

I noticed my car making a vibrating sound and doesnt accelerate as fast. I brought it to the mechanic and he put it on the lift. When revving the car, we noticed a small hole in the catalytic converter area. He said he can weld on a metal sheet to fix for $250. any ideas on if this is the right solution/price? I didnt know this mechanic and he seemed a little shady

2000 GS300

I agree with Mcon, sounds too expensive for a simple weld. My 2000 GS300 sounded like a Nascar when I bought as the entire exhaust system from the header back was rusted badly and the gaskets were shot. I went with a total custom/replacement with 2.5 stainless all the way back and dual Magnaflow mufflers.

The power loss shouldn't come from a small hole in the exhaust. Now, a clogged cat would cause the vehicle to be sluggish, but it doesn't sound like something that you are encountering. Perhaps you put a couple tanks of bad gas in her...maybe too much water in the gas? Try switching gas stations and run some premium through it to see if it was just the gas quality.
Old 01-14-16, 05:28 AM
mwwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LentoGS300
I agree with Mcon, sounds too expensive for a simple weld. My 2000 GS300 sounded like a Nascar when I bought as the entire exhaust system from the header back was rusted badly and the gaskets were shot. I went with a total custom/replacement with 2.5 stainless all the way back and dual Magnaflow mufflers.

The power loss shouldn't come from a small hole in the exhaust. Now, a clogged cat would cause the vehicle to be sluggish, but it doesn't sound like something that you are encountering. Perhaps you put a couple tanks of bad gas in her...maybe too much water in the gas? Try switching gas stations and run some premium through it to see if it was just the gas quality.
If you don't mind me asking what did that set you back? I'm tempted to do something similar as long as it doesn't involve specialty tuning of the computer because it's not OEM.

I have a check engine light and VSC errors on the dash and my local repair shop said my Cats are bad and will cost me $1600 for replacement. The car runs fine. No power loss that I can tell. Going to check it out more today.

Guess I should actually put this in another new thread.
Old 01-14-16, 10:28 AM
LentoGS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mwwilliams
If you don't mind me asking what did that set you back? I'm tempted to do something similar as long as it doesn't involve specialty tuning of the computer because it's not OEM.

I have a check engine light and VSC errors on the dash and my local repair shop said my Cats are bad and will cost me $1600 for replacement. The car runs fine. No power loss that I can tell. Going to check it out more today.

Guess I should actually put this in another new thread.
I spent $1100 with new cat, 2.5 inch header back and 2 magnaflow mufflers with tips. I will eventually up the horsepower so I went with the larger diameter pipes.
Old 01-14-16, 05:38 PM
mwwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LentoGS300
I spent $1100 with new cat, 2.5 inch header back and 2 magnaflow mufflers with tips. I will eventually up the horsepower so I went with the larger diameter pipes.
Did you have to re-tune your engine? Or anything else? Also what Cat did you put on it?

Last edited by mwwilliams; 01-14-16 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 07:32 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

02GS430 with similar problems two years ago. My previous owner rocked this car pretty hard in uhhh some jurisdictions where you get to do 120 mph. He likely burnt out the right side catalyst. Long story, short. I had the same issues. Right side cat in trouble, stinky smell etc.

I went with Magnaflows on both sides for just under $1K Canadian. No problems at all. The cats are California certified and legal.
Old 01-15-16, 07:12 AM
LentoGS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mwwilliams
Did you have to re-tune your engine? Or anything else? Also what Cat did you put on it?

No, no retuning necessary. I don't know the brand name of the cat, I just know they used a high flow cat.