GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Squishy friction when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 01:31 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squishy friction when turning steering wheel

Not sure how else to describe it, so I'll go with 'squishy friction' when I turn the steering wheel to the right past 100 degrees or so. I notice it more when I'm reversing or parallel parking. It seems similar to the issue referenced in this thread but I'm not sure to what extent RX issues apply to a 2001 GS430.

Had the car test driven recently by Exact Motorsports and they didn't notice it. As far as I can tell this issue has only popped up in the last day or two. Any advice would be appreciated. Wondering a) whether this needs to be looked at urgently, or whether I can afford to wait, and b) if this is a common issue on this car, is there a simple fix?
Old 01-03-16, 04:20 PM
baconcake
Rookie

Have someone look under the car as you turn the steering wheel to see if there's play in the steering rack. Your steering rack bushings might be too worn. Also look at your tie rods, and your caster arm bushings to see how much play there is. All of these are easy fixes too.
Old 01-03-16, 04:25 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Originally Posted by baconcake
Have someone look under the car as you turn the steering wheel to see if there's play in the steering rack. Your steering rack bushings might be too worn. Also look at your tie rods, and your caster arm bushings to see how much play there is. All of these are easy fixes too.
Thanks for the response--it's much appreciated as I like to jump on issues rather than let them sit. It sounds--and correct me if I'm off--that I don't need to have this looked at *immediately*. Is that correct? I ask because I've read (and re-read) the ball joint horror thread. The ball joints on my car are new (car is at 152k miles, fwiw).
Old 01-04-16, 08:15 PM
baconcake
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brahms
Thanks for the response--it's much appreciated as I like to jump on issues rather than let them sit. It sounds--and correct me if I'm off--that I don't need to have this looked at *immediately*. Is that correct? I ask because I've read (and re-read) the ball joint horror thread. The ball joints on my car are new (car is at 152k miles, fwiw).
it's good that you have new ball joints. Curious if they are moog brand? Are they greased up? And I'm not one to determine if this is needs to be addressed immediately, but you can visually see the steering rack moving, the tie rod being worn out, and the caster bushing cracked and worn.
Old 01-04-16, 08:37 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Originally Posted by baconcake
it's good that you have new ball joints. Curious if they are moog brand? Are they greased up? And I'm not one to determine if this is needs to be addressed immediately, but you can visually see the steering rack moving, the tie rod being worn out, and the caster bushing cracked and worn.
1. Yes, moog brand.
2. Not sure how greased up; will take a look.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-08-16, 09:36 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Default Update

Just updating in the event anybody searches for this issue and comes across this thread.

I took the car to Exact Motorsports and it wasn't easy to reproduce the issue, but we eventually got it to happen. It only happens at low speeds--not at a stop, or at high speeds. John put the car on the lift and poked around. He thinks the issue is harmless, and stems from having new brake pads.

Having said that, he told me I do need to replace some control arm bushings--but he didn't think that was the culprit.