GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help!! Bought Salvage Title GS, now have problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 01:04 AM
phoenixm3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

93LexoGS300:
I just bought this car on Tuesday, and i found all the problems today. I'm thinking to return it also but the point is that my friend said its a salvage title. It must have a big damage and stuff. I don't know what i really should do now...
Old 04-17-03, 01:28 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Salvage title cars are just a pain in the neck, you never know what other major problems will show up. If you don't want it, consult with your lawyer and tell him that the day after you bought it you had it inspected and no longer want it. There might be a possibility that your acceptance of the car has not occured yet. I've heard something like this.

At a minimum, call or go to the dealer and tell him you don't accept the car and state your reasons. Then write them a letter that confirms the details of your conversation. Like I said, consult with your lawyer because he is in the position to properly evaluate your situation and can provide you with the best ways for you to resolve the matter.
Old 04-17-03, 01:43 AM
phoenixm3
Rookie

Where can i find the lawyer that can handle this kind of business? thx
Old 04-17-03, 05:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

If you can return it, do so immediately. If you can't, I'm sure any money you 'saved' will be eaten by legal fees, running around, paperwork, getting quotes, etc. Sorry.

If a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

A salvage car might have even been under water (the front damage was when it hit the bottom of a lake! ). If something like that were the case, it will NEVER be right.

If you can't return it, look in the Yellow Pages or find a family friend who knows lawyers or just call around. Remember, if the lawyer's good it is NOT going to be cheap. $250 an hour perhaps. I'd pay the couple of hours it might take a lawyer to go over your contract to find what rights you have. Then you'll know if anything else is worth pursuing. He or she might advise you that it's not worth suing.
Old 04-17-03, 05:43 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Phoneix,
May I ask how much you paid for this car, year, and mileage?

When you say: "The contract only said it has damage on driver side headlamp" and when a car is assessed a salvage title by the insurance company than that means that the car has so much damage that it was not worth fixing because the value of the cars price would be far less than what it would cost to repair this.
That could be one reason this car was given a salvage title, and some crap body shop will buy it from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar and fix it up and than sell it. Its a big business, especially for desirable cars like the GS4.

That is why I am asking what kind of price you paid. Also, if you try to sell this car later you will get way under book value for it.

You have a good case if they said damage was only on the drivers side headlamps....but if you signed papers that were salvage related, than you might have a hard time trying to fight this. SIgning papers like that can sometimes waive your rights to for any claims against the car.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 04-17-03, 08:20 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Angry

Originally posted by phoenixm3
. BTW i paid 24K. I know its a lot of money....forgive me guys!!
Way too much...
Old 04-17-03, 11:06 AM
phoenixm3
Rookie

00' 32k miles, $24500.
Fully loaded, Nav.....

I just called up some lawers and they want too see all the documents that i have right now. Wish me luck guys....
Old 04-17-03, 11:08 AM
phoenixm3
Rookie

The only thins i can do now it that 30 days bumper to bumper warranty. A guy told me if they can't fix it then i can sue them to ask for the money back.
Old 04-17-03, 12:25 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

NEVER buy a salvage car, especially when you are dealing with cars that have complex sub systems such as Lexus (electronic this, computer controlled that)!!! I once went to test drive a car and did not know it was a 907a (salvage title in NY) and when I found out I ran.

Usually when these guys sell these cars they say "oh it was only hit in the front", or "light damage", thats bull. Think about this, if you were a insurance company, would you send a 35,000 dollar Lexus to the junkyard because of a hit on the fender?? 9 times out of 10, that car was a theft recovery, and stripped to the frame, or it had water/fire damage, or fell of a truck.

RUN, do not walk away from that vehicle. My buddy had a 00 4.6 Range Rover with drips in the paint, missing interior trim, no A/C, a bad thermostat, and non functional air suspension, guess what title it was.

Go back to that shop with 3-4 gentleman above 6'4" of stature, and 250+ lbs of weight, and politely DEMAND a full refund of your money (i would say trade cars, but they would most likely just put you in a worse beater!)
Old 04-17-03, 04:52 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

00' 32k miles, $24500.
Fully loaded, Nav.....

I just called up some lawers and they want too see all the documents that i have right now. Wish me luck guys....
Man I might would have let mine go for that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!
Old 04-17-03, 05:05 PM
phoenixm3
Rookie

DGOT20s:
Hee...i wish i can fire some 250 ibs guys go to that shop with me. Anyway i went to the lawyer today, and he asked me to do a full inspection and have the shop fix it for me. If they are not able to fix it right then i will have a good point to sue them. The point is that i might only have 50% chance to win this case.

Hey guys.....do u think i should sue them after all? I'm sure they cant fix all these things by their own hand. Although i might only stand for 50 % of chance to win this case; should ar least give it a shot? thx
Old 04-17-03, 05:15 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it goes to court.....you will have to factor in lawyer fees and in the end you might be worse off than before.

I say sell it for 20 k.....take a 4k hit and get another GS ...maybe a 98 or 99 model. Make sure you take it to get inspected before you buy. Take it to another lexus dealership and pay them 100 bucks to go over the car....small price to pay but at least you will have peace of mind.
Old 04-17-03, 05:21 PM
phoenixm3
Rookie

DrewGS4:
Will anyone buy this kind of car??
Old 04-17-03, 05:26 PM
phoenixm3
Rookie

DrewGS4:
My bet is that 30 days bumper to bumper warraty that the shop gave me. If they can't fix it, then i'll have to sue them. Isn't that right?!
Old 04-17-03, 06:26 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

DGOT20s:
Hee...i wish i can fire some 250 ibs guys go to that shop with me. Anyway i went to the lawyer today, and he asked me to do a full inspection and have the shop fix it for me. If they are not able to fix it right then i will have a good point to sue them. The point is that i might only have 50% chance to win this case.

Hey guys.....do u think i should sue them after all? I'm sure they cant fix all these things by their own hand. Although i might only stand for 50 % of chance to win this case; should ar least give it a shot? thx
Im 6'4 210. you can pay my plane ticket i'd be glad to come and help you shop.. lol

Good luck..

If the car was salavaged then it had to have significant dammage.. nothing light like you explained..

J

Quick Reply: Need help!! Bought Salvage Title GS, now have problems