GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help!! Bought Salvage Title GS, now have problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 07:43 PM
phoenixm3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!!

I just purchased a used 00' GS400. It's salvage title. It had an accident on the driver side front before. I did sign some contracts which states that its a salvage title but the problem has been fixed. Here is the problem..i went to the dealer and have an inspection. They found so many problems with the car. I need your advise now guys. Should i take it to the court? The shop told me that they will fix everything for me but after 2 hours waiting, i'm sure they did nothing with it. Should i hire a lawyer? I know its salvage tittle but they said there is no problems with the car. Damn~~i need your help!!
Old 04-16-03, 08:46 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just wondering what are the problems you are having
Old 04-16-03, 08:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Default Re: Need help!!

Originally posted by phoenixm3
I just purchased a used 00' GS400. It's salvage title. It had an accident on the driver side front before. I did sign some contracts which states that its a salvage title but the problem has been fixed. Here is the problem..i went to the dealer and have an inspection. They found so many problems with the car. I need your advise now guys. Should i take it to the court? The shop told me that they will fix everything for me but after 2 hours waiting, i'm sure they did nothing with it. Should i hire a lawyer? I know its salvage tittle but they said there is no problems with the car. Damn~~i need your help!!
Not quite sure I understand...

When you say "The shop told me", you mean that the place you bought the car from (NOT the dealer) right?

What specifically does the contract you signed state about the 'problem' being fixed? What problem and what did they fix? Was there a warranty of any kind?

Assuming you want to keep the car, I would immediately send a notarized and certified letter to 'the shop' listing every specific thing that is wrong with the car (use the Dealer's list) with a request that it be fixed immediately per your purchase agreement.

Oh, and get a lawyer.
Old 04-16-03, 09:13 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

man...you should never ever buy a salvaged title car, no matter what they tell you how it has been fixed. hope everything works out for you.

just curious, how much did you pay for the car?
Old 04-16-03, 09:52 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Well your first mistake was buying a 907a salvage title.. no offense. but i had this with my 97 celica .. i had to wait 2 months for an inspection date.. and when you go to resell the car. the value is much less. but i fortunatly found someone who didn't care about a salvage title..

But when you bring it to get inspected.. they examine and check the car. and make sure that all the part #'s match up.. you should check back with the person who fixed your car after you purchased it as a salvage.. but there is nothing you can really do that i know of.. that is the risk you take when you purchase this type of vehicle

Best of luck

J
Old 04-16-03, 10:05 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to say this, but it sounds like you're out of luck....unless you can find a loophole somewhere.

You did say that it was disclosed or told to you that it was a salvaged title. You signed a document stating that it was a salvaged title, but it was fixed. Does it say what exactly was damaged and what exactly was fixed?

If what it says was fixed in your document you signed matches up with what's wrong with your car now, you've got a chance. If it matches, then obviously they lied to you.

I still say take it as far as you can to get everything back. IMO, I would try to get my money back and let the seller take the car.

Sorry to hear about what happened. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-16-03, 11:33 PM
kalimba
Driver School Candidate

Caveat emptor.
Old 04-16-03, 11:58 PM
phoenixm3
Rookie

The contract only said it has damage on driver side headlamp. I found more problems than just the front. e.g( steering wheel offcenter, suspension bent......) I just told to a lawyer. He said that im in a very bad situation becoz its a salvage title. The only thing i can do is that the place i bought this car gave me 30 days bumper to bumper warranty. I can ask them to fix all the problems that i found. If they can't able to do that then i can take it to the court. Do you guys think its a good idea?? I paid all the money and i don't know what i can do now. BTW i paid 24K. I know its a lot of money....forgive me guys!!
Old 04-16-03, 11:59 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

They probably guaranteed the repair of one problem, but did not guarantee the car would be free from problems. Check your contract for warranties, guarantees, and disclaimers, I think most salvaged cars don't have guarantees and are generally sold as-is.

Old 04-16-03, 11:59 PM
phoenixm3
Rookie

thx for all your input. I really appreciate that....
Old 04-17-03, 12:05 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

The only thing i can do is that the place i bought this car gave me 30 days bumper to bumper warranty. I can ask them to fix all the problems that i found. If they can't able to do that then i can take it to the court. Do you guys think its a good idea?? I paid all the money and i don't know what i can do now. BTW i paid 24K. I know its a lot of money....forgive me guys!!
Since you have a 30 day warranty, bring it in and have all the problem fixed A.S.A.P. Once the 30 days pass, you will be out of luck.
Old 04-17-03, 12:14 AM
kalimba
Driver School Candidate

The contract only said it has damage on driver side headlamp. I found more problems than just the front. e.g( steering wheel offcenter, suspension bent......) I just told to a lawyer. He said that im in a very bad situation becoz its a salvage title. The only thing i can do is that the place i bought this car gave me 30 days bumper to bumper warranty. I can ask them to fix all the problems that i found. If they can't able to do that then i can take it to the court. Do you guys think its a good idea?? I paid all the money and i don't know what i can do now. BTW i paid 24K. I know its a lot of money....forgive me guys!!
Now really, how could a damaged headlight alone require a car to be sold under salvage title? Anyone who knows anything, knows that salvage title is NEVER a good thing.

I bet you got the car at a steal of a price, right? There's probably a very good reason for that...
Old 04-17-03, 12:36 AM
phoenixm3
Rookie

I will bring the car back and have everythin fix, but the point is that im sure that cant fix it with their own hand. I'll take it to the dealer for inspection after they fix it and if i still find problems with the car then i will sue them.
Old 04-17-03, 12:42 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

They'd better be able to fix it if they warranted the car. If they try to repair it a couple times and it still has problems, you can take the car to another shop to have it fixed properly and then sue to recover thee bill.

Salvaged cars are so difficult to fix and will continue to have problems. I would just try to return it. How long ago did you buy it? How many days later did you have the dealer inspect it and find all the damage? How many days have passed since you went to the dealer and now? Depending on these factors and quite a few more, you may be able to reject the vehicle or revoke your acceptance. Ask your lawyer.

Work fast, time is not on your side.

Last edited by LB Lex; 04-17-03 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-17-03, 12:47 AM
phoenixm3
Rookie

93LexoGS300:
So do you think in that situation, i can win the case? thx

Quick Reply: Need help!! Bought Salvage Title GS, now have problems