GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

After Market Headunit Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 11:29 AM
LeeWang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Headunit Installation Help

Hey Guys,
So I bought a pioneer double din head unit, and I'm completely lost. I extended and connected the metra 1761 clips with the 2 clips found on the amp. I connected the red wire to the gray wire found behind the factory stereo. I've soldered everything together, but the unit doesn't turn on at all.

Am I missing something?? Did I do it all wrong?

Also when I was trying to put the climate control and clock back on so I can come back later to do the head unit, they don't seem to be working also. All clips are on tight.

I'm really in need of some help. Thank you
Old 01-18-16, 03:00 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use one of the Metra harness adapter to connect to the factory plug that provides power to the stereo? If I remember correctly, you need to relocate one of the pins in the Metra harness, but I'm not sure that was the power wire.

If everything is connected properly, I would check your fuses. The fact that the climate controls and clock quit working make me think it's a fuse issue as well.

Pictures of what you did would be extremely helpful in this situation.
Old 01-18-16, 08:00 PM
LeeWang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mveale
Did you use one of the Metra harness adapter to connect to the factory plug that provides power to the stereo? If I remember correctly, you need to relocate one of the pins in the Metra harness, but I'm not sure that was the power wire.

If everything is connected properly, I would check your fuses. The fact that the climate controls and clock quit working make me think it's a fuse issue as well.

Pictures of what you did would be extremely helpful in this situation.
Yeah I checked my fuses and only the radio no.2 was blown. My climate control works now, and I might just redo the whole wiring. Do you have any idea which wire it is that I have to repin on the metra harness?
Old 01-18-16, 10:00 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up using a multimeter on mine, cant remember which ones it was though, but I needed to move at least 2
Old 01-19-16, 04:32 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeeWang
Yeah I checked my fuses and only the radio no.2 was blown. My climate control works now, and I might just redo the whole wiring. Do you have any idea which wire it is that I have to repin on the metra harness?
I used three DIY guides to bypass the amp and install the new head unit, and it was a very straightforward process. These three:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...-300-amplifie/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ration-gs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-add-on.html

Last edited by mveale; 01-19-16 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 06:57 AM
LeeWang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mveale
I used three DIY guides to bypass the amp and install the new head unit, and it was a very straightforward process. These three:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...-300-amplifie/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ration-gs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-add-on.html
So pretty much I should connect the red wire (acc) to the gray wire behind the factory unit and the yellow wire (constant 12v) to the blue/yellow wire behind the glove box. Then ground the black wire to the chassis. I should get power and everything else will plug in and work. Correct?
Old 01-21-16, 09:19 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeeWang
So pretty much I should connect the red wire (acc) to the gray wire behind the factory unit and the yellow wire (constant 12v) to the blue/yellow wire behind the glove box. Then ground the black wire to the chassis. I should get power and everything else will plug in and work. Correct?
I don't recall off the top of my head and, unfortunately, I don't have time to double check the guides right now to confirm. But I can tell you that I followed those guides exactly and mine worked on the first try.

However, I believe I connected the ground wire to the ground wire in the factory harness and did not ground it directly to the chassis.
Old 01-21-16, 01:33 PM
LeeWang
Driver School Candidate

I got it now. I did red to gray, yellow to blue/yellow behind the factory unit, and my ground to the chassis. Everything else plugs in to the amp and works! Thanks guys!