GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new member here - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03 | 12:30 AM
hodgepodge
Driver School Candidate

Smile new member here - few questions

Hola

New member here and hopefully a future GS430/RX330 owner. I know you must be thinking, "Two completely different automobiles!" and I understand. I currently don't know what I'm really looking for in a car. Been test driving alot of cars lately and found that I don't fit comfortably (I'm 6'3"). I assume I'll fit well in an RX330 seeing as how it's a "small SUV" but I won't know until my trip to the dealership tomorrow. The GS430 is also a comfy fit for me but fjlsdajlf decisions decisions. As for my questions related to the GS430.

I was wondering if any GS430 owners opted to go the supercharger route and if so:

What kind of HP/TQ gains?

0-60 / 1/4 mile times?

Gas mileage?

Durability/Reliability?

Feel free to add any misc. information that you think might help

Thanks
Old 04-19-03 | 09:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

not sure about the sc numbers, but rmm is the only one out there to have it now. srt has stop producton of it. but with srt stage 4 i have heard about 500rwhp, that's big.

you will fit very fine in the gs430, it's a big car and you will feel very comfortable
Old 04-19-03 | 10:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: new member here - few questions

Originally posted by hodgepodge
New member here and hopefully a future GS430/RX330 owner. I know you must be thinking, "Two completely different automobiles!" and I understand. I currently don't know what I'm really looking for in a car. Been test driving alot of cars lately and found that I don't fit comfortably (I'm 6'3"). I assume I'll fit well in an RX330 seeing as how it's a "small SUV" but I won't know until my trip to the dealership tomorrow.
Well, I'm 6'3 also and I have a GS400 and my wife has an RX300. The RX330 is a little bit roomier up front than the RX300, but I do not like driving the RX300 long distances because my right leg is pressed against the wide center console with the shifter on it.

It's also a matter of your torso/leg ratio. I'm more legs than torso so I need leg room, not ceiling height as much.
Old 04-19-03 | 12:31 PM
hodgepodge
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: new member here - few questions

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Well, I'm 6'3 also and I have a GS400 and my wife has an RX300. The RX330 is a little bit roomier up front than the RX300, but I do not like driving the RX300 long distances because my right leg is pressed against the wide center console with the shifter on it.

It's also a matter of your torso/leg ratio. I'm more legs than torso so I need leg room, not ceiling height as much.

I'm more legs than torso too
Old 04-19-03 | 05:38 PM
hodgepodge
Driver School Candidate

I went and test drove the GS430 today and it was a great car. The ride could have been in my opinion a little bit smoother, but nevertheless it was great. Very quiet engine that I bet would roar with a nice exhaust. It hauled *** too, they wouldn't let me get on the freeway with it but he did let me floor it on surface streets from 15-60 and wow did it get there quickly. Only thing that's not pushing me over the edge with it is the lack of tech like the RX330 ie. laser cruise control, air suspension, etc.

Very nice car though, acceleration made me

edit: Why did SRT stop production of their supercharger?

Last edited by hodgepodge; 04-19-03 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-19-03 | 07:18 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

funny - i have the GS430 and just got the RX330 3 weeks ago. both are such great cars. i like having both for different purposes. i agree the GS is a bit lacking in terms of gadgets and gizmos when compared side by side to the new '04 RX, but next fall, with the intro of the '05 GS, i would expect to be absolutely blown away.

the gas mileage is excellent on both of these cars. i can't complain at all, especially given the GS's performance. it averages between 19-22 mpg. the RX330 is surprising fuel efficient as well. if you've seen recent commercials or heard radio announcements, the RX330 is the leader in its class on fuel economy, and it is no lie! averaging about 20mpg for the AWD model.

the GS is a fantastic automobile. i do not have any kind of mechanical or cosmetic mods - only stock Nav/Lev/17"chrome silver/black. i find the stock performance to be enough for my needs. the silver/black combo is very sophisticated, yet sporty, and turns heads almost everywhere i go.

i give a two thumbs up to both these great cars. both are worth every penny. i'm a 2-time GS owner and 2-time RX owner. you can't go wrong with either one - they won't disappoint!!
Old 04-19-03 | 07:33 PM
hodgepodge
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lexuslover
funny - i have the GS430 and just got the RX330 3 weeks ago. both are such great cars. i like having both for different purposes. i agree the GS is a bit lacking in terms of gadgets and gizmos when compared side by side to the new '04 RX, but next fall, with the intro of the '05 GS, i would expect to be absolutely blown away.

the gas mileage is excellent on both of these cars. i can't complain at all, especially given the GS's performance. it averages between 19-22 mpg. the RX330 is surprising fuel efficient as well. if you've seen recent commercials or heard radio announcements, the RX330 is the leader in its class on fuel economy, and it is no lie! averaging about 20mpg for the AWD model.

the GS is a fantastic automobile. i do not have any kind of mechanical or cosmetic mods - only stock Nav/Lev/17"chrome silver/black. i find the stock performance to be enough for my needs. the silver/black combo is very sophisticated, yet sporty, and turns heads almost everywhere i go.

i give a two thumbs up to both these great cars. both are worth every penny. i'm a 2-time GS owner and 2-time RX owner. you can't go wrong with either one - they won't disappoint!!
I think I'll probably end up going with the '05 or '06 models as long as the looks don't differ drastically like the PS's I've seen on other threads. I really really like the way the GS's look right now and don't think very much should be changed.
Old 04-19-03 | 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I really really like the way the GS's look right now and don't think very much should be changed.
I guarantee it will be changed a LOT. I think it will be dramatic, daring, and that it will blow us away.
Old 04-19-03 | 09:38 PM
hodgepodge
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I guarantee it will be changed a LOT. I think it will be dramatic, daring, and that it will blow us away.

Blow us away as in 12-guage to the face or blow us away as in drop dead chick in a thong?
Old 04-19-03 | 10:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Blow us away as in 12-guage to the face or blow us away as in drop dead chick in a thong?
The CURRENT GS is loved and hated so I don't expect the next one to be any less so.