GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 won't start off and on.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 10:36 AM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 won't start off and on.

hello, im a new member here to clublexus... have been browsing the forums for a while now trying to troubleshoot issues with my 2000 gs400 with 173k on the odo, anyways. recently had suspension work done on it due to bad balljoints,struts,control arms. but when i drove it back home maybe a few miles it had bogged down and died out while i was driving. which has never happened to me before in this car nor any starting problems. but i turned the key and it fired right back up. parked it and then tried again the next day and no go again.. turns over like it wants to start then nothing happens... then maybe an hour later it fires up no issue. rolled it up onto some ramps in my driveway and found there is a good amount of oil buildup seems the bulk of it is coming from above my alternator.. really trying to figure out why it wont start :/ i love my gs
Old 02-23-16, 10:51 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this is obvious, but how much fuel did you have? When I purchased mine, it was low on fuel and did not want to crank at all. I had to fill it up at least half way for it to get back to life. I think maybe these cars are finicky with their fuel pumps. I'm new to the car too so i'm only speculating.
Old 02-23-16, 10:56 AM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

yeah haha iv got over a half tank. and have replaced fuel pump maybe 3 months ago im thinking it might be oil leaking down onto some electrical or something.. i keep waiting to say maybe even spark plugs or coils... but i feel my check engine light would come on for that.
Old 02-23-16, 11:00 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah... Not sure what's going on. I know it usually takes a few repeat codes for the light to come on. Hopefully that will happen soon so you know where to start. Good luck!
Old 02-23-16, 11:02 AM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

id love a code aha. just put 4k into suspension work so she could ride nice again and now she doesnt move. :[
Old 02-23-16, 11:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The power steering pump sits above the alternator so what you have is most likely a leaking steering pump. It's possible your alternator is going out so it's not properly charging the battery, hence the trouble starting. That or your starting is going out (very common on GS400)
Old 02-23-16, 02:00 PM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

i see. altho i did just have to put oil in because it was really low. but there is a trail of gunk that comes from where the reservoir connects to the hose on the bottom. and if my alternator is bad wouldnt my battery die? its been like this for a few weeks now. and it still turns over just fine just no fire.
Old 02-23-16, 02:02 PM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
The power steering pump sits above the alternator so what you have is most likely a leaking steering pump. It's possible your alternator is going out so it's not properly charging the battery, hence the trouble starting. That or your starting is going out (very common on GS400)
and my power steering fluid is maybe half way between the min. level and max.
Old 02-23-16, 04:41 PM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

first try of turning key it seems to almost fire but dies out almost instantly. then the following tries are just endless turning over. going to take it in somewhere to have someone diagnose it hopefully...
Old 02-23-16, 09:34 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

maybe your injectors just sucked in a little bad gas, that's all. Fill it up with super and add chevron fuel injector cleaner for added safety.
Old 02-24-16, 06:36 AM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lextout
maybe your injectors just sucked in a little bad gas, that's all. Fill it up with super and add chevron fuel injector cleaner for added safety.
ill try that out. was researching that seafoam stuff iv seen people using but im not sure if its something id want to put in my car...
Old 02-24-16, 07:21 AM
ShunDoe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randallex
ill try that out. was researching that seafoam stuff iv seen people using but im not sure if its something id want to put in my car...
I would prefer B12 over seafoam. I've been using B12 for about 5 years now on both my 2GS and 4th Gen maxima every time I do an oil change and I've never had a problem with it
Old 02-24-16, 04:42 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Make sure the immobilizer is not losing transponder signal.
In other words; make sure the security light is off and not blinking when the key is in.

Good luck
Old 02-25-16, 09:23 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Randallex
Snake oils are not going to help you.
Old 02-26-16, 02:46 PM
Randallex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FrankT
Make sure the immobilizer is not losing transponder signal.
In other words; make sure the security light is off and not blinking when the key is in.

Good luck
just went and tried it and its flashing when its out then stops when i put it in as it should?. still no start though.. im starting to think its probably the starter. but im unclear of the difference between the motor turning over and it just cranking ?

Quick Reply: GS400 won't start off and on.