GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Painting Rotor Hats

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 06:08 AM
IcePlatinum
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Rotor Hats

Just wondering how many of you have painted thier rotor hats? Mine are starting to get a rusty color look and was wondering if anybody had any pictures of this done? Also, What kind of paint should you use for the hats? same as calipers? Also my GS is blue and was wondering what color do you think would be the best for the hats, planing to paint my calipers black and the hats black also.

Last edited by IcePlatinum; 04-22-03 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-22-03, 06:57 AM
lextasy1
Rookie

Default Painting rotors and calipers

I painted mine and the paint has held up very well. I used VHT 1200 hi-temp paint and cleared them with 1200 high temp clear. If you can take them off and get them powder coated I would suggest that because the finish will last much longer. I used a wire wheel to clean the wheels, then applied brake cleaner and painted the rotor. You will use 1 can of paint and one can of clear for all four rotors. I put four coats of paint and two coats of clear. Remember use thin coats and let the paint dry according to the directions on the can. One word of advice don't buy the caliper paint because the temperature rating is not as high. Okay good luck and I hope this helped. Sorry I have no pics right now.
Old 04-22-03, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i painted using duplicolor engine enamel 500C paint, easy. both on calipers and the rotor hats. you need to make sure you brush off all the rust first though otherwise it will get back to you later
Old 04-22-03, 09:35 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default Black Hat

Ice-

I took this photo after my calipers and hats were painted by the dealer. I was noticing how badly my discs were gouged by the tech working on my car. I have seen disks get "scuffed" in some cases to help with new pad break in, but thought my case was excessive. Sorry the pic in not clearer. If you would like, I can take some today and post. Let me know-

D
Attached Thumbnails Painting Rotor Hats-disk-gouge.jpg  
Old 04-22-03, 10:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tomtnc did his hats in addition to his calipers a few weeks ago.

Check his gallery:

Old 04-22-03, 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Black Hat

Originally posted by GS4DOUGIE
Ice-

I took this photo after my calipers and hats were painted by the dealer. I was noticing how badly my discs were gouged by the tech working on my car. I have seen disks get "scuffed" in some cases to help with new pad break in, but thought my case was excessive. Sorry the pic in not clearer. If you would like, I can take some today and post. Let me know-

D
that's very bad man, i'd complain. i can do a better job than the tech...
Old 04-22-03, 03:12 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i used a product by folia tec
i mentioned this in another thread a few days ago it is really good it is a base and a clear when mixed and is more than enough to do all the calipers and rotors
it only uses one coat and seems to be available for 38 from tire rack under a relabled name of g2 but it is the same kit
it also wipes cleaen comes in many colours and is hard as nails when dry

also looks wet when clean since it uses some kind of high heat paint that setttles into itself when drying leaving the clear part in top and the colour under