GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stock Pioneer upgraded to Nakamichi

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 06:39 PM
mayad79
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Pioneer upgraded to Nakamichi

Question:

Is this a plug and play project that doesn't require rewiring?
Old 03-02-16, 06:52 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No. There are considerable differences in the amplifier and head unit.
Old 03-02-16, 08:48 PM
mayad79
Rookie

Including the head unit and amplifier plus all speakers.

But stock pioneer CD changer.
Old 03-02-16, 09:01 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure you need the nak wiring harness
Old 03-02-16, 09:14 PM
mayad79
Rookie

How can I be sure of what I need. Would a wiring diagram help me?
Old 03-30-16, 12:39 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mayad79
How can I be sure of what I need. Would a wiring diagram help me?
Probably not. Moving from one level of factory stereo to another is always a challenge, such as when moving from an internal to external amp. If you really have your heart set, anything can be done, yet it might mean acquiring a complete harness, then removing most of your interior. The amp is in the trunk right/rear, has a woofer, cd-changer, etc. Anything can be done, yet this is a lot of work.

Does anyone (such as Metra) offer color-matched trim for double-din stereos?
Old 04-01-16, 12:46 PM
HI85WH1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Probably not. Moving from one level of factory stereo to another is always a challenge, such as when moving from an internal to external amp. If you really have your heart set, anything can be done, yet it might mean acquiring a complete harness, then removing most of your interior. The amp is in the trunk right/rear, has a woofer, cd-changer, etc. Anything can be done, yet this is a lot of work.

Does anyone (such as Metra) offer color-matched trim for double-din stereos?

As I am parting out a 1998 Nakamichi equipped car and I have someone who wants to do just this changeover. It'll be interesting to understand the ins and outs of this swap.

The last GS400 I parted out was also a 1998 and had the pioneer unit, but I do remember the audio harness was separate from the rest of the electronics (Except the door sections).

I'll document the dismantling process and see how much work it is.
Old 04-01-16, 12:54 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HI85WH1
As I am parting out a 1998 Nakamichi equipped car and I have someone who wants to do just this changeover. It'll be interesting to understand the ins and outs of this swap.

The last GS400 I parted out was also a 1998 and had the pioneer unit, but I do remember the audio harness was separate from the rest of the electronics (Except the door sections).

I'll document the dismantling process and see how much work it is.
If the harnesses are really that independent, then awesome. My experience with radios has been with Toyota internal vs. external amps, and those harnesses (for the years I'm used to) is integrated in to the harness... adapting is a mess, if at all possible. If Lexus made the radio harness separate, with minimal connections for interfacing to the rest of the car, then very cool.
Old 04-01-16, 01:36 PM
HI85WH1
Driver School Candidate

If the harnesses are really that independent, then awesome. My experience with radios has been with Toyota internal vs. external amps, and those harnesses (for the years I'm used to) is integrated in to the harness... adapting is a mess, if at all possible. If Lexus made the radio harness separate, with minimal connections for interfacing to the rest of the car, then very cool.

I just dread pulling the seats and carpet (and door sills, various trim, etc) to get to the harness. ('d prefer someone buy the seats and carpet FIRST...

I recall what appeared to be two, antenna wires (I believe one had a co-ax style end on it) running side by side along the trans tunnel, from below the radio stack.
Old 04-09-16, 08:01 PM
HI85WH1
Driver School Candidate

Update: pics are on my phone and my data cable is in my truck, so pics will wait for now.

From the Radio/AC control stack, The AC/heat controls are bound into the same harness. So, they will come out together. This seems to be all plug and play and I have everything undone there. From there the harness runs into the center console and runs back.

From the back (The amp as you all know is in the right rear corner of the trunk) the harness is only connected to the amp and runs forward to the right corner of the rear seat and attached to the seat cross brace.

From there it runs forward, and splits just under the passenger side, forward corner of the seat bottom.

As I haven't pulled the seat, but did pull the moldings and sill plates I was able to see that the harness appears to loop around into the forward harness connectors, passenger side B pillar connectors and probably the power seat power.

Anyone in Hawaii looking for 2GS parts so I can throw this away soon?

Last edited by HI85WH1; 04-10-16 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 04-10-16, 07:44 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

mayad79,
Check this likns,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...40-pics-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ration-gs.html