GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NEED your help..Do I have LSD or not how can I tell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 10:48 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NEED your help..Do I have LSD or not how can I tell?

Like you know, I recently install a Supra differential (3.76 gear)

Now, I had open the diff out, Does this picture look like the Supra torsen gear, does anyone have an inside picture of 94+ Auto supraTT diff?

the car ran great around the turn, I have done a number of tests in the parking lot and on the road (with both VSC ON and VSC Off) Under hard acceleration around the turn, the rear end will slip, traction light is on, but it just correct by itself, VSC does not kick in (no beep) I accelerate like normal, No engine cut off.

so far, I have not been able to get the traction (Lexus electronics traction control) to come ON (ie beep beep with VSC light blinking), broken??? it should have check engine light if this really happen (not in my case, who correct my traction? I must become an difting driver expert over night? I even drove through some water and do a quick turn (90 degree turn) the car is slipping, but then correct itself, NO BEEP BEEP (with vsc on)

With VSC ON, I can see the traction light is blinking when I am slipping around the corner, but the car just correct itself (you should see I did several 360 in the parking lot, and driving very fast in circles). Who correcting this, it can't be me, must be the "LSD"

How the heck can I really tell if I have LSD or not? CharlesGreddy on CL say my gear look like non LSD,
I know the diff is auto, and 3.76 gear for sure. The gear looks like open, non LSD to me also, because Lexus service manual show a similar picture? is the actual LSD torsen gear hidden? (can;t see from the back?)

I can't imagine what would be like if I DO have the LSD, is the feeling the same? what need improve?

here is the picture

Anh
Attached Thumbnails NEED your help..Do I have LSD or not how can I tell?-p1010115.jpg  

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-23-03 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-23-03, 11:15 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: NEED your help..Do I have LSD or not how can I tell?

Originally posted by BananaGS
Under hard acceleration around the turn, the rear end will slip, traction light is on, but it just correct by itself, VSC does not kick in (no beep) I accelerate like normal, No engine cut off.
My LSD will correct WAAY before the VSC will, at least on small traction issues. But when I'm in a full blown traction loss environment (maybe when its a little slippery on the roads after a rain) both wheels will break loose with torque, and the VSC will kick in when I have it ON. I usually leave it on when it's raining or is wet.

With the VSC OFF, the YAW control will still be active (I know form our Asheville Trip and Deal's Gap Trip). Even with the back end might be planted, and you start to drift (entering a turn too quickly - OOPS), the system will BEEP at you. Its happended to me.

How do you tell? You should be able to FEEL it work, especially the Torsen unit. In tight, low speed turns, you can feel it working a tad as the inside wheel grabs. I love it. Kind of subjective I know, but it is unmistakable as a feeling.

Looks? I dunno chief - I haven't opened mine up yet.

Last edited by ///MDex; 04-23-03 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 11:27 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Hard to say. At first glance I would have said no.

Here's what it should look like.. The worm gears are the key:

I've seen other diffs opened up where there is no question the worm gears are so visible. Sorry can't really tell though.

Edit: To give credit where it's due. I got these images here

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 04-23-03 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-23-03, 11:36 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Dex, either I became a better driver, or the LSD is working, since don't "LOST" control around the hard turn anymore (before VSC kick in), i can actually feel the rear end is sliding, but everything feel like in a movie, playback in slow motion (NO I am NOT high ha ha), I actually have time to fiddle with the steering wheel (if I want to correct it)

Also, you have the TC, so your lost traction is WAY more than me hee hee. Maybe I need the TC to test out the LSD??? ha ha. So far, the slipping feel very predicable, not a total panic any more.
My rear tires will go bald soon, @ everyturn, I lay a patch of rubber and the VSC still not kick in yet, wait til I have the TC, and will test again ho ho

could it be the higher gear help the corner control?

Mr Johnson,
I've seen those pics, they are from a mkiii supra 90-93. But I should see the gear. I am trying to contact the seller to get another unit for get some money back and stay with what I have, since it works pretty well, I guess. Thnks

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-23-03 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-23-03, 11:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i heard a very good test is, floor from dead stop. if you don't have lsd, you should only have 1 tire mark. if you have lsd, you should have two.
Old 04-23-03, 11:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Oh, a couple more things:

VSC is so slow to react to anything IMHO.

Another piece of positive knowledge on mine: I can lay a dual patch of about 10ft. There is video of this (*cough* DaveGS4 *cough*) somewhere; I haven't seen the DVD yet.
Old 04-23-03, 11:57 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easiest way........jack the back end of the car up. spin one rear wheel. if the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, you have an LSD.......
Old 04-23-03, 02:42 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Angry

Anh I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is an open diff. The LSD unit should look like the other pic posted. The difference you may be feeling could be due to the difference in the ratio of the new diff
Old 04-23-03, 03:17 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, for sure that's an open diff...

i've changed out a couple of differentials from DOHC honda transmissions with quaifes and
factory LSDs...

in your picture banana, there's no way the spiders will hold if one side starts to spin...

hence, open differential.

mr. johnson's pictures are more along the lines of what a LSD is.
his pictures show a LSD very close to what honda does with their
factory LSDs.

if your differential was a friction disk type, you would still see some disks...
such as the KAAZ, TRD...

Old 04-23-03, 04:11 PM
jeffandi
Driver

Originally posted by DrRick
easiest way........jack the back end of the car up. spin one rear wheel. if the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, you have an LSD.......
Doesn't work for Torsen type LSD.

Jeff

Ahn,

I may have the same issue too. I also bought my diff from a guy on the supra board. Mine is a 97. I had no idea LSD was an option on 97&98. Oh well. I still love the taller(is that the correct?) gearing.

Jeff
Old 04-23-03, 04:30 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DrRick
DrRick:

I think that test is the other way around. If the driveshaft is held still (as in park) the open diff will spin opposite, while the clutch type diff will hold the axle still. I don't know how the torsen behaves.

I do know that Banana is showing an open diff though.
Old 04-23-03, 05:00 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Tried to to stop the gas from the stop: lay 2 patch of rubber, so that does not prove anything

tried DrRick method, same, 2 wheels spin different direction, but my stock on does it too.

My seller will give me full refund, that is what he said, but now, I got to find some time to pull it out, hopefully I can find another diff before this.

anh
Old 04-23-03, 05:05 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by cyclemax
DrRick:

I think that test is the other way around. If the driveshaft is held still (as in park) the open diff will spin opposite, while the clutch type diff will hold the axle still. I don't know how the torsen behaves.

I do know that Banana is showing an open diff though.
I agree, it is the other way around. An open diff spins different directions and a LSD they will spin the same (Car in neutral). A Torsen may only do this when cold or else you could try another test. Twist both halfshafts in the same direction at the same time. Can't do it? Then you've got a Torsen.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 04-23-03 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 05:07 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BananaGS
Tried to to stop the gas from the stop: lay 2 patch of rubber, so that does not prove anything
I'd pay good money to see that with an open diff.

This weekend, I'll get out the box mine came in (brand new), get the part number, and confirm it here. You shoudl be able to find a part number on yours somewhere.

Last edited by ///MDex; 04-23-03 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 05:49 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dex
I'd pay good money to see that with an open diff.
Dex:

Hold on to your money. An open diff can do that on occasion, provided both tires see equal traction. Some CL members discussed this in depth a while ago.

Mr Johnson:

On the Torsen test, do you attempt the twist with the driveshaft free?

Quick Reply: NEED your help..Do I have LSD or not how can I tell?