GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aristo swap fuel gauge issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 07:54 PM
Miami-SC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aristo swap fuel gauge issue!

Ok guys, I own a '00 Aristo swapped 2gs. Running stock twins with bpu. My issue is the damn fuel gauge reading. Today I was driving and I was taking an exit off the turnpike to the right and as I took the corner the car stalled when I gave it gas. The gauge was reading between 1/4 and 1/2. Once the car was driving straight it was fine but it felt as I was running out of gas, so I pulled into the first station and fueled up.

I have searched and asked around and no one seems to know what to do, if it's not Sard setup or the other one. Does anyone know wtf to do to solve this issue?!?! Another thing I ask myself is how the f**** do you guys running single turbo w/ mods monitor your fuel????
Old 03-08-16, 09:01 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it's worth, the movement of the gas gauge isn't directly controlled by the floats. The GS calculates needle's position based on fuel economy data from the ECU to prevent needle fluctuation due to fuel moving around in the tank. Float position only lets the car know when it has been filled up and when the tank is empty (or fuel level when the battery has been disconnected). The issue when a GTE swap is done is that the ECU sends data as injector percentage, but the GTE has 25% larger injectors, so the gauge thinks it's using 25% less fuel, leading to 1/4 tank being the new empty. This could probably be fixed by using the gauge cluster out of an Aristo V300, but then you'd be stuck with kph.
Old 03-08-16, 09:02 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember reading that the factory fuel gauge factors in fuel usage into its reading. Bigger injectors on the GTE (about 30% bigger), means your gauge thinks you still have 1/3rd of a tank left when you're pretty much out.
Old 03-09-16, 11:25 AM
6t6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gauge

Originally Posted by iToaster
For what it's worth, the movement of the gas gauge isn't directly controlled by the floats. The GS calculates needle's position based on fuel economy data from the ECU to prevent needle fluctuation due to fuel moving around in the tank. Float position only lets the car know when it has been filled up and when the tank is empty (or fuel level when the battery has been disconnected). The issue when a GTE swap is done is that the ECU sends data as injector percentage, but the GTE has 25% larger injectors, so the gauge thinks it's using 25% less fuel, leading to 1/4 tank being the new empty. This could probably be fixed by using the gauge cluster out of an Aristo V300, but then you'd be stuck with kph.

No ******. Wow, didn't know that. So that splains' it, cuz it has happened to me.

Thanks
Old 03-09-16, 03:19 PM
Miami-SC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read about using the aristo cluster. Thought about it. Bc it's frustrating, I've been testing it and I got as far as 1/4-1/2 before it hiccuped on the turn.
Old 03-25-16, 02:13 AM
Ali2GS300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can someone confirm that the aristo cluster would solve the problem?
Old 03-25-16, 12:10 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Aristo cluster doesn't solve the issue, it's the TRD cluster that is supposedly the one that does work correctly. Never seen one under $700, about $900 is the going rate, and sometimes as high as $1200-$1500 unfortunantly.
Old 03-25-16, 06:36 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Can the gauge be made to function properly if running a standalone computer?
Old 03-25-16, 06:51 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Aristo cluster doesn't solve the issue, it's the TRD cluster that is supposedly the one that does work correctly. Never seen one under $700, about $900 is the going rate, and sometimes as high as $1200-$1500 unfortunantly.
What makes you think that? As long as it's out of a V300, the trip computer should function correctly. I'll have a definitive answer before too long; I'm almost done with my re-swap and I've had an Aristo cluster sitting around for a while with this exact purpose in mind.

Originally Posted by tiger4life
Can the gauge be made to function properly if running a standalone computer?
Probably. The gauge cluster would have a multiplex communication fault without the factory ECU, which would likely cause it to just read from the fuel level sensors.
Old 03-26-16, 07:52 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

What makes you think that? As long as it's out of a V300, the trip computer should function correctly. I'll have a definitive answer before too long; I'm almost done with my re-swap and I've had an Aristo cluster sitting around for a while with this exact purpose in mind.
Only because we have plenty of Aristo clusters in stock here and have tried it. But that probably doesn't count

We do have a 100% complete V300 chassis/cabin harness in stock if someone wants to do a complete oem aristo electrical swap.

As for the TRD cluster I don't know for sure, but it has been said to work. But not really worth ~$1000 to try for most people, so no definitive answer on that working.

-But I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying! Please do give it a shot on your car or any other methods, as a definitive solution is needed. I've done plenty of aristo swaps and the gauges act differently, at different times, on different cars. When I first had SRT/Dual walbros w/ RC750's the gauge actually worked properly for some reason for a fews months then randomly went back to dropping in 1/4 increments and empty on an 1/8 tank.

-Bippu147 says he is having accurate gauge reading with the Squash dual hanger, but I think he also has a TRD cluster.

Probably. The gauge cluster would have a multiplex communication fault without the factory ECU, which would likely cause it to just read from the fuel level sensors.
I'm on standalone and still same same...

Last edited by 99 GS3; 05-13-18 at 07:31 PM.