GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gear selector won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 03:19 PM
beerdedone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear selector won't shift

So in my 98 gs300, i just put in a 2000 throttle body. I got everything going well just got back from a test drive and it was fine besides I had to adjust the idle. I then put it in drive and it becomes stuck. So I kind of hulked back into park so I could see if I could manually move it with the little thing next to the shifter and it shifts fine. I then start it back up but it wont shift when i step on the brake pedal. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Old 03-14-16, 03:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Probably better to continue the thread you already started rather than starting another.

In answer, though. Check your fuses and/or check your shift interlock on the brake pedal. Do you hear the click on your shifter when you step on the brake?

Silly question, but does your stereo work? IIRC, the interlock fuse is the same one used for the stereo.
The following users liked this post:
2GSeth (Today)
Old 03-14-16, 04:37 PM
beerdedone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Probably better to continue the thread you already started rather than starting another.

In answer, though. Check your fuses and/or check your shift interlock on the brake pedal. Do you hear the click on your shifter when you step on the brake? ]

Silly question, but does your stereo work? IIRC, the interlock fuse is the same one used for the stereo.
Oh sorry, I wasn't sure if I'd get a reply or anything if I did that or not. But definitely will in the future. Can I delete the other one?
And yea my stereo works on it, I'm thinking it's the fuses because I went back out there and tried again and it worked ok, then half way through the 2nd test drive it stuck on neutral when trying to put it into park from drive. But then went in fine after a 2nd push
Old 03-14-16, 05:37 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Thats not a fuse problem. If a fuse pops, its stops and never works again until replaced. Could be your shift lock solenoid going bad.

Again, when you cant shift it out of park, do you hear the click in the center console when you hit the brake? Try and listen for it the next time it doesnt work.
Old 03-15-16, 11:03 PM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shift lock ecu or brake switch
Old 03-25-16, 08:34 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

Thats not a fuse problem. If a fuse pops, its stops and never works again until replaced. Could be your shift lock solenoid going bad.

Again, when you cant shift it out of park, do you hear the click in the center console when you hit the brake? Try and listen for it the next time it doesnt work.
same thing happened to me last night. my brake lights work but it wont shift out of park unless the bypass is used. I drove him and when I went to park it started working again until I shut the car off and turned it back on. not sure if its the switch on the trans or the one that's under the gear selector.
Old Today, 06:15 AM
2GSeth
1st Gear

In answer, though. Check your fuses and/or check your shift interlock on the brake pedal. Do you hear the click on your shifter when you step on the brake?

Mine started doing that first the stereo would cut off randomly then the car just started dying when the rpms would hit idle now it will start but immediately die when rpms idle. Changed brake switch sensor, maf, tpm sensor, cleaned throttle body and still the same ****. Can't figure out wtf is happening.