GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Don't Forget to Replace Those Balljoints!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 04:13 AM
USMCLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brahms
You like to live dangerously, like Austin Powers.
I honestly didn't know about this issues with GS300....I bought it at 79,000 back in 2010 and currently i have 177,000 and i just never had issues with anything...but me racking up all these high miles, I have begun to realize that I better start replacing stuff like this....im glad i checked up this website again..thank you guys!
Old 05-28-16, 04:15 AM
USMCLexus
Driver

I still have original shocks too! LOL
Old 05-28-16, 06:06 AM
budgetvip
Rookie

My front is torn apart right now so going to replace, I keep hearinggo with moog but what makes them so special opposed to just an auto zone pair
Old 05-28-16, 08:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCLexus
Damn! I better get mine a new ball joint...im at 177,000 with original ball joint on my 03GS300. thanks for those really really scary pictures
Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
If you have actually have 177,000 on the original ball joints, I wouldn't even drive it until changing them.
Originally Posted by Brahms
You like to live dangerously, like Austin Powers.
its highly unlikely those are the original balljoints.....unless you have owned the car since new (which IMHO is also unlikely)
Old 05-28-16, 11:43 AM
USMCLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
its highly unlikely those are the original balljoints.....unless you have owned the car since new (which IMHO is also unlikely)
I already stated in the other post(s) about me owning the car...I bought it used back in 2010 with 79,xxx miles. As of today, I have 177,xxx miles. I have never replaced anything in all those years except for the batteries. I did timing belts but never replaced water pump either. Original shocks with most very likely original ball joints and everything else is probably original...I owned it for the past over 6 years! So far, I haven't had any issues with the suspension but I think its time b/c im getting close to 200,000 miles on it. There could be a possible chance that original owner did replace the balljoints prior to 79,000 miles. If so...I still drove another 100,000 miles with that same ball joint without any issues. I have never replaced shocks either.

Check out my join date of this website? Jun 2010. same month i bought the 03 GS 300. ha ha ha....

BTW, its an honor to have you respond to my post..Sakataj...I used to read your posts many years ago...wow, I'm surprised you are still here!~ bravo!

Last edited by USMCLexus; 05-28-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-31-16, 10:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by USMCLexus
I already stated in the other post(s) about me owning the car...I bought it used back in 2010 with 79,xxx miles. As of today, I have 177,xxx miles. I have never replaced anything in all those years except for the batteries. I did timing belts but never replaced water pump either. Original shocks with most very likely original ball joints and everything else is probably original...I owned it for the past over 6 years! So far, I haven't had any issues with the suspension but I think its time b/c im getting close to 200,000 miles on it. There could be a possible chance that original owner did replace the balljoints prior to 79,000 miles. If so...I still drove another 100,000 miles with that same ball joint without any issues. I have never replaced shocks either.

Check out my join date of this website? Jun 2010. same month i bought the 03 GS 300. ha ha ha....

BTW, its an honor to have you respond to my post..Sakataj...I used to read your posts many years ago...wow, I'm surprised you are still here!~ bravo!
im not saying you replaced them, i would think the original owner has replaced them atleast. why would you risk the damage/safety on such a cheap part?

thanks, i left for like 2 years cause i couldn't stand the "community" that was here and i disagree (to say it politely) with the way some of the mods run this place. i honestly am very unimpressed the few months i have been back, car is seriously very close to being done and going up for sale (finally) and i will be gone again (atleast from this section of the boards)
Old 05-31-16, 10:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

thanks, i left for like 2 years cause i couldn't stand the "community" that was here and i disagree (to say it politely) with the way some of the mods run this place. i honestly am very unimpressed the few months i have been back, car is seriously very close to being done and going up for sale (finally) and i will be gone again (atleast from this section of the boards)
To be fair, the moderators had (have) a problem with the way you sometimes treat other members and sense of community issues that are significant factors in that disagreement.

Let's get this thread back on track and PM me if you want to discuss.
Old 05-31-16, 12:16 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

balljoints are a cheap/easy fix just replace them. i do mine like every 2 years just to be on the safe side. the OEM ones IMHO suck and i dont think the aftermarket ones are any better

Last edited by sakataj; 06-03-16 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 03:54 AM
budgetvip
Rookie

anyways guys, balljoints are a cheap/easy fix just replace them. i do mine like every 2 years just to be on the safe side. the OEM ones IMHO suck and i dont think the aftermarket ones are any better
So sakataj you see no difference between brands?
Old 06-03-16, 07:04 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by budgetvip
So sakataj you see no difference between brands?
i dont really but i just prefer the OEM's. a lot of people on here are younger (AKA cheaper) and just wanna buy the cheapest replacement parts (not just for this but every part of their car) and IMHO if the OEM ones fail why would i wanna buy a brand that is IMO inferior to the OEM? the moogs peaked my curiosity at one time as i even bought a set and installed them, i liked them because you could grease them, but i didnt like how they felt (my suspension is fairly well set up if you check, like way more than most on here) and i removed them within a week of installing them and went back to OEM's.....as i said i just change every few years now, not a big deal to me
Old 06-03-16, 08:32 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont really but i just prefer the OEM's. a lot of people on here are younger (AKA cheaper) and just wanna buy the cheapest replacement parts (not just for this but every part of their car) and IMHO if the OEM ones fail why would i wanna buy a brand that is IMO inferior to the OEM? the moogs peaked my curiosity at one time as i even bought a set and installed them, i liked them because you could grease them, but i didnt like how they felt (my suspension is fairly well set up if you check, like way more than most on here) and i removed them within a week of installing them and went back to OEM's.....as i said i just change every few years now, not a big deal to me
How have they looked each time you swapped?
Old 06-03-16, 09:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmanO
How have they looked each time you swapped?
fine visually but i dont recall ever opening the boot and inspecting them. they had no play of any sort and were only swapped for peace of mind. To be honest with how cheap these are nowadays OEM or OE Aftermarket i am always shocked this continues to happen. This should never be a concern with all the alternatives out if you dont want to use a OEM