GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sanity check: Trade '01 GS430 for '03.5 G35 sedan 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 08:17 AM
SCHEME
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You should have gone next door and driven the Z

If you want to go sports car, then go sports car. IMO the 350Z exterior looks WAY better the than the G35 especially the four-door G35. I've read that the interior isn't much to write home about but you can get most of the features you are looking for as extra options. Also, if you want to get into modding, the Z will be the car with more available mods and more community support. The G35 is starting to grow on me as well, but I still look at it and think "Altima".
Old 04-29-03, 08:48 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Let's see...I'll try to answer these in turn...

Go get your new car. And let us know what you think in a month or two.
The massive depreciation hit has scared me off. Perhaps in about six months I'll start looking for a used car that matches my desired specs and let someone else absorb the drive-off-the-lot depreciation hit.

How about buying a mini cooper S and keeping the GS? It's not that fast as the cars your'e interested in but it will outhandle all of them. The mini was rated as having the highest residual value.
and...

If you want to go sports car, then go sports car. IMO the 350Z exterior looks WAY better the than the G35 especially the four-door G35.
Well, I already have a sports car in the family, a BMW Z3 2.8 roadster with a five-speed manual. That's my wife's car (in addition to the 4Runner, but we really only use that for hauling stuff and in the winter), though, so I don't drive it much (but it's a blast when I do!).

My car is the "practical" car of the family, so that's why I currently have a GS430 and have been interested in the G35 sedan 6MT and the A6 2.7T 6MT...they're "practical" and "sporty." The G35 just happens to have quite a bit more of the "sporty" side of things which is why it's caught my eye.

Like I said, for the time being I'm going to sit tight. The main catalyst for this exercise was that my tires are nearing replacement and I'm either going to put L-Tuned 18"s on my GS430 or spend that $$$ toward a trade-in on a more sporty car. I have my car in for its 35K servicing as I type this and they're going to let me know how much more road time I have on my current rubber. Hopefully it'll buy me a few months to keep researching options.
Old 04-29-03, 09:28 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up really no discussion

I have to say thinking about trading a gs to a g35 is nuts, If your worried about speed, get some nice aftermarket parts, the interior is a hand me down compared to the lexus, its not very appealing to me what so ever. stick with what you have, you won't be sorry.
Old 04-29-03, 10:15 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCWells72
Let's see...I'll try to answer these in turn...

Like I said, for the time being I'm going to sit tight. The main catalyst for this exercise was that my tires are nearing replacement and I'm either going to put L-Tuned 18"s on my GS430 or spend that $$$ toward a trade-in on a more sporty car. I have my car in for its 35K servicing as I type this and they're going to let me know how much more road time I have on my current rubber. Hopefully it'll buy me a few months to keep researching options.
What mods do you have done so far to the GS? There seems to be a pretty good aftermarket for the GS but probably just as much or more for the Infiniti(Nismo?) It seems that no matter what you decide you will take a hit on depreciation on any new car. I understand your position quite well as I am thinking about a replacement car. But with the economy the way it is I am heistant to buy anything at the moment.
Old 04-29-03, 10:43 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get G35 coupe, it's ok. Because your getting something way different... on the other hand G35 4dr.... no comparsion.... even with a new GS coming out within a year or two. I think G35 4dr looks real crappy compare to the coupe. Especailly the back tail lights. Love the coupe and hate the 4dr crapper, just my opinion.
Old 04-29-03, 01:23 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

The coupe is very nice. From a distance, my wife thought the G35 coupe was a Lexus.
Old 04-29-03, 01:26 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I have to say thinking about trading a gs to a g35 is nuts, If your worried about speed, get some nice aftermarket parts, the interior is a hand me down compared to the lexus, its not very appealing to me what so ever. stick with what you have, you won't be sorry.
No, speed isn't the issue. My GS430 is decent in that department. The issue is "interactivity" where I have only an accelerator, a brake pedal, and a gate-shiftable automatic. The level of control (and fun) available with a well-designed short-throw manual transmission cannot be approximated with even the best manumatics out there.

What mods do you have done so far to the GS?

Out of respect for my warranty I currently have only mods that don't even raise the question of whether they would void it: L-Tuned shocks, springs, steering ECU, and exhaust, and TRD sways and lower chassis brace. I've already spoken with my local dealer's service dept and they've definitely recommended against a torque converter, limited slip diff, or intake/ECU (not to mention forced induction!!!) while I'm under warranty unless I feel like shelling out cash if something goes wrong.

It seems that no matter what you decide you will take a hit on depreciation on any new car.
Correct, which is why I've backed off of a new car as an option given that I'm still trying to absorb the depreciation I've taken on the GS430 I bought brand new ~3 years ago. Unfortunately there are no used cars that meet my criteria in the $35K range. The A6 2.7T is close, but it's not quite there.

If you get G35 coupe, it's ok. Because your getting something way different... on the other hand G35 4dr.... no comparsion.... even with a new GS coming out within a year or two. I think G35 4dr looks real crappy compare to the coupe. Especailly the back tail lights. Love the coupe and hate the 4dr crapper, just my opinion.
I already have a two-seater sports car in the family, the Z3. As I mentioned above, I'm in the market for a sedan if I do anything at all. And I personally like the look of the G35 sedan including the tail lights very much, even if I think the coupe is a more svelte interpretation of the same general set of ideas.
Old 04-29-03, 02:27 PM
blkgs4wnav
Driver

I think The G35 sedan looks ugly as **** i wouldn't be caught dead sitting in it. However the coupe is just so hotttttttt. but i would never trade a $50,000 car for a $30,000.
Old 04-29-03, 03:03 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

From the looks of things you are going to be a GS owner for awhile. Welcome back!

Life is full of compromises..

Last edited by meanboy; 04-29-03 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Well dude, remember that the GS is a LEXUS. Which means refinement and quiet over anything else. Their cars are purposely detached from the driver, cause 99% of GS drivers want minimum involvement.

I also agree with the going from a 55k car to a 35k car argument. I know when I drive the ES 300, it feels like a whole other world build quality wise. It is a solid car, like the G35 is a solid car but the GS was built to the specifications to meet and beat the 5-series, widely considered the sports sedan standard. The G35 was built to meet and beat the 3-series. Big difference.
Old 04-30-03, 08:48 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Definitely staying the family...

I just left a message with Steve Ganz to order the L-Tuned 18" wheels. That's a concrete decision to stay in the Lexus and GS family. Thanks for all the feedback and "tough love" from everyone. Like I said earlier, quite a bit of the value provided by my GS is the mature and friendly community around the car!

Scott
Old 04-30-03, 08:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Re: Definitely staying the family...

I just left a message with Steve Ganz to order the L-Tuned 18" wheels. That's a concrete decision to stay in the Lexus and GS family. Thanks for all the feedback and "tough love" from everyone. Like I said earlier, quite a bit of the value provided by my GS is the mature and friendly community around the car!

Scott
Hey Scott,

Glad to hear you're staying in the Lexus GS family!!

Question for you - what are these L-tuned 18 inch wheels? You must have done some research on wheels before you decided to order those, so I am really curious to know what you are getting.......
Old 04-30-03, 09:05 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Definitely staying the family...

Originally posted by Hameed
Hey Scott,

Glad to hear you're staying in the Lexus GS family!!

Question for you - what are these L-tuned 18 inch wheels? You must have done some research on wheels before you decided to order those, so I am really curious to know what you are getting.......
As part of the L-Tuned package, Lexus offers two sets of OZ wheels re-branded with the Lexus center cap, etc., one 17" with two different available tires and one 18" with Michelin Pilot Sports. The ones I'm getting are basically OZ Salinas, 18x8 in the front and 18x9.5 in the rear, painted silver alloy. Check out http://www.l-tuned.com/ or http://www.l-tunedparts.com/ for pictures. There are also some good pics on this thread.

I chose the L-Tuned wheels over arbitrary aftermarket wheels because of the combination of quality, cost, appearance, and "stock" nature (meaning they're branded Lexus). I was also interested in the Moven M1s which are basically clones of the stock M5 18" wheels, but I couldn't find out enough about Moven in terms of quality.

Last edited by SCWells72; 04-30-03 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-30-03, 09:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Definitely staying the family...

As part of the L-Tuned package, Lexus offers two sets of OZ wheels re-branded with the Lexus center cap, etc., one 17" with two different available tires and one 18" with Michelin Pilot Sports. The ones I'm getting are basically OZ Salinas, 18x8 in the front and 18x9.5 in the rear, painted silver alloy. Check out http://www.l-tuned.com/ or http://www.l-tunedparts.com/ for pictures. There are also some good pics on this thread.

I chose the L-Tuned wheels over arbitrary aftermarket wheels because of the combination of quality, cost, appearance, and "stock" nature (meaning they're branded Lexus). I was also interested in the Moven M1s which are basically clones of the stock M5 18" wheels, but I couldn't find out enough about Moven in terms of quality.
Oh OK. I know about those wheels, I just thought you were referring to some other wheels because I personally don't not think there is anything special about those. But, each to his own!!

They are certainly an upgrade regardless!

How much is the whole set costing you (rims and tires) from Carson Toyota?

Last edited by Hameed; 04-30-03 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-30-03, 09:23 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Definitely staying the family...

Originally posted by Hameed
How much is the whole set costing you (rims and tires) from Carson Toyota?
~$2100 + shipping for wheels and tires mounted and balanced. And then I'll have to let my local service dept change the speedometer and odometer settings for 18" wheels.

Quick Reply: Sanity check: Trade '01 GS430 for '03.5 G35 sedan 6MT