GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need help with this Idle issue that I have

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 10:25 AM
WDMC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having this same issue... took it to a lexus dealership, they charged me a diagnosis fee, tried to tell me it was because of a vacuum hose, so I replaced it, still an issue, so they refunded me my diagnostic fee plus the cost of the hose (no labour was charged)... told me they don't know what the issue is, and sent me on my way... WTF?

Help! lol
Old 05-05-16, 11:45 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Did you change the one near the purge valve? That was causing the problem for me. Not sure if yours is the same issue. Once they replaced it all was well.
Old 05-05-16, 04:10 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Did you change the one near the purge valve? That was causing the problem for me. Not sure if yours is the same issue. Once they replaced it all was well.
Kevin,

Can you take a few pictures and show me where the purge valve is located please. And Thank you in advance. Today I found a TPS in a junk yard. I not going to the junk yard to found that TPS, but I see this GS300 with the TPS on it, so I take it out and I want to try that TPS on my car because I not have the time yet to check the voltage on my 3 sensor. I know, I know, is way is not the correct way to do that or try to found the problem on my car, but I have to many think in my live right now and my father say to me this morning, take I break and go with me to the junk yard and that is when I found the TPS. So kevin, I waiting for those pics.
Old 05-05-16, 07:51 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

No problem, this thread contains a few pics of the area in question (I think). The dealer replaced the hose for me so I'm not sure which one exactly but this should give you some idea. Hope this helps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...446-p0441.html
Old 05-06-16, 04:34 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevin3344
No problem, this thread contains a few pics of the area in question (I think). The dealer replaced the hose for me so I'm not sure which one exactly but this should give you some idea. Hope this helps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...446-p0441.html
kevin,

First, Thanks for the info. This pics is more for GS400 or GS430 cars.

Second, I found the issue with my car. When I was check the sensors on the TB, I also take a part the air filter box and try to look inside and BOMMMM. I found a piece of cardboard of the OEM filter that I was pull out two years a go when one of my friend that work on the Lexus dealer told me that had been a batch of these OEM Air filter damaged and broke inside and the owner of the vehicles they did not that out. That was the reason why I decided to buy the K&N filter and no longer use the OEM filter. Today I ran the car more than 30 minutes and my car did not give me any problem of idle. I think, I found out the problem that I had for almost two years or two years already. A piece of cardboard from the OEM filter and was in the small pipe between the air filter box and the MAF. How that piece was in that area for so long of the time. Simple things bitter your life and patience in different way and to every person as well. But such is life and we have to deal with it. My father was with me check the sensor on the TB when I found the cardboard and he look at me with his eyes very open and immediately I tell him what happen with the OEM air filter and he say to me, live and learn. So, to does guys that you maybe have issue with your idle and not have any code or CEL ON, check your air filter, that is maybe your problem of your idle.

I need to say, Thank you for all the in put that everyone say or try the help me. Thanks again

Ps. I test the car with a Maxima 2015 and I bit him. Hahahahahahaha... He stop on the next traffic light and giving me the thumb up. He accepted that I bit him. Heyyyyyyyy for the 2JZ. another sticker on my driver door. LOL

Last edited by Mcon; 05-06-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 05:13 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Wix filters. Personally, I would never use a K&N filter. Lets too much dirt in and can ruin your MAF.
Old 05-06-16, 05:31 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

The oil that is on the K&N filter, retains all the dirty that others filters do not do that and is easy after to clean the K&N filter put oil back to it. For me, personally I like their result. But I understand the opinion and preference of each person.
Old 05-07-16, 12:06 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

There have been tests that show the K&N does NOT trap the dirt a regular paper filter traps. Not worth the risk. It is why I removed one from My Suburban and threw it in the trash.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Last edited by bruceb58; 05-07-16 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 05:22 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

bruceb,

First, thanks for the information.

Secound, I was said on my privious post this; For me, personally I like their result. But I understand the opinion and preference of each person.

Third, people do different kind or style of homes, vehicles, food, ect., ect., ect... Because we are different and think differently. That is why people also write and made comment on articles on TV or the internet. But, finally and ultimately we as humans, we take the decision to buy what will be the best for us and to make the most of that we buy. I hope you understand that, because it's my humble opinion and it's nothing personal against you.

Thank you and God Bless this World in which we live. Amen
Old 05-09-16, 08:05 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

That's OK. Just helping the next person who might fall for the advertising hype and thinks that putting a K&N filter on their engine is actually a good thing.

Also will help when someone's MAF gets gummed up from the oil off the filter.
Old 05-10-16, 04:59 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

bruced,

If you follow the instructions of the manufacturer you'll be fine. The instructions indicating the K&N filter oil has to dry and wait at least 20 minutes before reuse. If you install it before perhaps matter what you say. But it's funny, today I went and bought the oem filter on the dealer and at 3 hours or so I drive my car a normal speed and the check engine light, VSC and VSC off turned ON. I check with my machine and say p0300, p0304, 05, 06 miss firer in the cylinder 4, 5 and 6. Also, the last two coil pack need to be change. I know that the spark plugs are new, have only two months installed, the plug wires close of year and all three coils, less than two years and everything is original, not aftermarket parts. I reset the code I returned to install the K&N filter back and not codes so far. I spend time, gasoline and money for anything.
Old 05-10-16, 06:08 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, My best evidence that I went and bought today... LOL
Old 05-11-16, 12:24 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

LOL...and you really think the OEM filter caused you to have misfires? It just gets better and better.

Your K&N filter allows dirt to get in your engine. That's a fact. You can either believe it or not.
Old 05-11-16, 03:22 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

bruced,

Remember, Toyota, Lexus and others how make cars just design cars, that's what they do. Create vehicles and no parts. Toyota and other companies or manufacturers call this other company to make parts and only they put the name Lexus, Toyota in the boxes to get more money for parts. That no one can argue with that. So, often the aftermarket parts are better than the dealer sells you and again that no one can argue with that. Yesterday I finishing to said in my previous comment, that I put the K&N filter back and not missfire on my car. Today I run my car for more than 100 miles and no CEL ON and no idle issue also. Ended with that and finally and ultimately I was the one that I started this thread and I found myself the problem or issue that my car have.

Thanks any way to the other member that try to help me with this.

Thanks again,
Old 05-11-16, 03:23 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

And YESSSS. The OEM filter like you said, cause my missfire.

Quick Reply: I need help with this Idle issue that I have